Forums

Topic: 2004 Passat Wagon 1.8T coolant leak  (Read 12984 times)

Offline dubtech

• Hixson

Re: 2004 Passat Wagon 1.8T coolant leak

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2013, 05:15:10 PM »
I love the VR6 in all its various forms.  The first time I drove a B6 VR6 Passat it scared the hell out of me, lol.  The normally aspirated 2.0 in the Mark 4 cars is woefully underpowered but also pretty much bulletproof.

The newer 2.0T is a totally different animal than the older 1.8T.  It has timing chains instead of a belt, 4 valves per cylinder instead of 5 and has a totally different injection system that is driven off the cam.  When I was still at the dealer I didn't dislike it as much as the 1.8T.

And, I suppose that I should also say that the one thing the 1.8T is good for is that you can make a crapload of horsepower when it's tuned.  I've ridden in some that were making over 300hp at the wheels and they were lots of fun.

I was never a huge fan of the 1.8T. 
Did you like the VR6? or are you a 2.slow kinda guy... LOL.
Seriously though, what is the difference between the 2.0T that I see now and the old 1.8T like I have. (Please do not tell me 0.2 L)...
Is it really just a punched out 1.8T or is it "more-better".
KC

Offline Russ

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2013, 11:35:13 PM »
Hal I agree with you on all points. It's kinda disappointing how unreliable my 1.8T has been, especially considering how little I drive it. However it is amazing what a simple software tune from APR did to raise the HP and torque. It really woke the engine up and made it fun to drive. Overall a fun little car, but I just don't realistically think it could be daily driven.

The 2.slow I had in my wagon was awesome. Loved that car. Never gave me any problems. I know people out there are supercharging their 2.slows but I don't know what that does to the reliability.

And one day I'd love to have a VR6 in something. I know people like Sal and Adam have been dropping them in Mk1s and Mk2s and getting much enjoyment from them.

Edit: Hal, not Rick! Although I'm sure Rick would agree too.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 11:37:25 PM by Russ »

Offline Russ

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2013, 11:41:36 PM »
Oh, and not much progress to report on mine...although it hasn't leaked since I parked and inspected it. The reservoir is still full.

I'd like to get it to Sal or Travis to replace and just go through and make sure nothing else is cracked/leaking, I think it's also time to change the Haldex fluid. But it's a week before Christmas and it's not a huge priority, I'll look at getting it taken care of after the first of the year maybe, or the week after Christmas if it's slow enough for someone to get it in. Until that time, it's fine parked in the garage.

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2013, 05:21:01 AM »
Wow, I must have a good one. I have put 50k on this one in 3 years. Just the normal stuff, 1 broken vacuum line and then this coolant leak. I run this wagon pretty hard on the interstate. I drove a regular sedan with fewer miles and same set up as the schwaggen. With the lowering kit and the 18" bbs wheels there was a noticeable difference in handling, but the sedan just didn't have the same umph as the wagon. I know the BOV has been changed, but it feels like more has been done.

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA
  • Liked: 2 times

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2013, 10:13:33 AM »
But it's a week before Christmas and it's not a huge priority, I'll look at getting it taken care of after the first of the year maybe, or the week after Christmas if it's slow enough for someone to get it in. Until that time, it's fine parked in the garage.

OK Russ . . . how many days since YOURS ran?  :D

Offline Russ

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2013, 10:25:26 AM »
Hey, mine runs! Now there's no telling how much coolant I will have left when I get to where I'm going, but it definitely fits our definition of "running"! How's Homer?

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA
  • Liked: 2 times

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2013, 10:30:10 AM »
Well, technically, Homer "Runs."  There's nothing mechanically wrong and I has NEVER leaked antifreeze!  If you haven't driven it, it's no different than Homer . . . it's still sitt'n still!   :D ;D :D 

Offline volksnick

• Secretary
  • Club Member
  • Chattanooga

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2013, 11:50:46 AM »
This is great!

I think everyone is entitled to a non-operable vehicle or two. Zen's stash is running mighty thin! Just no body come by my house and ask how long it has been since ANY of them moved!

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2013, 11:05:21 AM »
But it's a week before Christmas and it's not a huge priority, I'll look at getting it taken care of after the first of the year maybe, or the week after Christmas if it's slow enough for someone to get it in. Until that time, it's fine parked in the garage.

OK Russ . . . how many days since YOURS ran?  :D
BURN.

There was an error while liking
Liking...

About Us

Chattanooga's oldest and largest club for air-cooled and water-cooled Volkswagens, since 1998. Join Us

Follow Us

© 1998-2024 Scenic City Volks Folks