Forums

Topic: Today In VW Collecting History... ASBug's Growing Collection  (Read 112590 times)

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

Re: Today In VW Collecting History... ASBug's Growing Collection

« Reply #465 on: March 14, 2014, 11:21:09 AM »
My speedo is DOA no noise or any thing.
Mom stated it was making awful noisies then just died a few years ago.
I need to pull the dash and replace all the back lights. I will check cable when I am in there.
The Gas gauge goes to about 1/4 of the tank and stays.  When I picked it up the gauge was working pretty good, up to 3/4+  of a tank when I filled it up, mom said it was intermittent..
It idles a little rough and the exhaust manifold is cracked up pretty good (bent tube type, not cast). I will eventually just pull it off and reweld, but it has been rewelded a few times already so I may need to look for a header (for a 2.5 lol.) or have something made.
The driver's window is off the regulator, seems that the little plastic rollers are deteriorated, that will have to be fixed soon, but for now it is held up with little wooden wedges.
KC

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #466 on: April 09, 2014, 05:01:23 PM »
Augggh!!!
The Ghia started leaking out of the crank pulley when I had the rear main seal replaced...
Pulled out the pulley and there was apparantly a small insignificant piece of steel that got wedged in the tiny space between the pulley oil back threads and the case back in 1996 when the engine was assembled. Well over the past 1000 miles or so it has cut a grove in the case.... Oil will not stay in...going to have to do an emergency engine transplant to drive the ghia to the show...
Was already taking Friday off to wash and wax Jenny, but now it appears that she will be getting another engine.
Going to have to sand seal this case, what a shame.
IF I can come up with the correct rear tin for an off set cooler, I have a line on a 1776 SP for the girl. I just have to check the tin pile at the house.
Probably going to just install the tried and true 1500 bus engine I have in her.
Oh well...
KC

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #467 on: April 18, 2014, 11:28:26 PM »
Oh wow.
I spent yesterday evening swapping the engine in the ghia. She is now sporting a 1776 SP.
I tried out several disto's on her and the 010 is in it now. This is a whole different car...
Pulls hard through all gears. I am going to tweak the timming up a little more. The 010 only advances like 18* so I am only getting 25* max advance where it is now. Shift at 4k in 3-4, was at 45mph. It is now @55. I was pulling a hill at the time as well... I went roaring down a straight away in my division and easily caught 70 mph.i am running a small 4 into 1 with a stinger and baffle. Spent a lot of time with the family this evening egging people's houses (candy eggs), so tomorrow is the long run to the gas station.
Specs are: reworked heads, new valves and hd German springs, new crank, rods and pistons. Case was opened up for this, and aligned bored, new clutch and pressure plate, off set doghouse cooler, FI doghouse with velocity stack, (all tin is there).  I am just running a 30/31 now, but am putting together a set of kadron a to go with a SP kadron intake I have. The power will go up as I give it more air when I go duals. I spent some coin on this, but it flat out moves now.
Wow...
KC

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #468 on: April 23, 2014, 08:08:35 AM »
OK,
So like I have broken a clutch cable... I think.
When I put in the new engine, I put in an all new clutch kit.
Stopped off at Alvins to pick up a set of Kadron's for the 1776, and every one was ooohing and ahhhhing over my new engine, jumped in to start it and bamo as it starts, the pedal goes to the floor, totally limp. The pedal cluster spring is holding it up, but it has no resistance when engaged.
I have not looked at the clutch arm yet, it was raining yesterday.
The car will move when in gear and starter engaged, shifts fine with engine off.
I had the trans almost in 1st when the cable broke and it made a gosh awful racket like a bucket of nails being bounced around.
I figure I have either:
1- broken cable
2- TO bearing has come off the forks
3- broken fork.
I feel it is either 1 or 3 based off the lack of pedal resistance.
I will check tonight with a trusty helper pushing the pedal to see if clutch arm moves.
If not it looks like a new cable is in order, if it does move then I will pull the engine, yea!
KC

Offline volksnick

• Secretary
  • Club Member
  • Chattanooga

« Reply #469 on: April 23, 2014, 09:12:15 AM »
is the back half of the cable loose?

I've had #3 happen and it was a parts explosion. It wasn't awful, but I did get to pull the engine again for practice.

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #470 on: April 23, 2014, 09:49:18 AM »
When I put the TO bearing in it tilted top forward off vertical plane. I assumed that it would contact the ring on the pressure plate and straighten up. 
The clutch cable seemed long when I put the engine back in and I had to tighten it back up about 1/4 inch to get the clutch to engage at 1/2 pedal.
It seemed that the last couple of times I used the clutch I had to push harder and then it would ease up as the TO bearing engaged...
Oh well, we'll see.
I cannot wait to drive this bird more, it has SOOOO much more get up and go.
KC

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #471 on: April 25, 2014, 10:11:42 PM »
#2 caused #3... I attempted to straighten the torqued fork and broke it. Looked at the assembly and decided I could weld it... We have the technology.
Fixed.
Problem was new style clutch installed w/o guidance tube on input shaft. Cleaned and installed old spring plate and TO bearing with super new disk, feels smooth now. No serious damage done. If fork had not been torqued I would not have needed to completely remove engine. Needed extra space for welding and grinding. I also over torqued a clutch mounting bolt. Wasn't horrible, was able to just back out broken part when I drilled a hole to get a tip into. Put some seals in vert top, had to look up where they go...
Also scored a set of kadrons from Alvin.  He also had a much nicer set of 34's. I just wanted the kadrons because I have a sweet vintage SP intake for them.
Cannot decide what color to paint intake. Need filters, linkage etc...

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #472 on: May 05, 2014, 04:33:14 PM »
Just an update.
Recently I have:
Pulled the OEM 1500 SP and replaced it with a 1776 SP - stealth mode.
Engine has new everything except block.  Has off set doghouse with modified FI shroud for the velocity stack on the intake fan.
Sourced a set of Kadrons for my vintage SP Kadron Intake - vintage speed.
Bought an equa-distant 1 3/8" 4 into one header with dual QP for when I install the Kadrons
Installed an underdash 3" tack to monitor what is going on back there.
and best of all last saturday I scored a set of:

T-BACKS!
I have done some research and have found what looks like a great substitution for the lugsbolts that are NLA.
Ordered a set of Centers off of fleabay blue VW Logos to match the blue car.
Have a guy coming on Thursday to polish them to a mirror shine.
All in all I am pretty stoked.
KC
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 04:35:08 PM by ASBug »

Offline volksnick

• Secretary
  • Club Member
  • Chattanooga

« Reply #473 on: May 05, 2014, 04:50:18 PM »
Have a guy coming on Thursday to polish them to a mirror shine.

Tell me more about this. I have always wondered about who you get to do that. I'm not sure I have the patience to do it and every time I've asked about it at the powder coater (who polishes the pistons for the trophies) he says it would cost more than a new wheel for each wheel  :o

How do you find someone to polish wheels like this?

Offline IntrstlarOvrdrve

« Reply #474 on: May 05, 2014, 04:56:32 PM »
Who's the powdercoater for the trophies? I think autocycle quoted me like $150 a wheel for 15's a while back. I don't know what new would be though.

Offline volksnick

• Secretary
  • Club Member
  • Chattanooga

« Reply #475 on: May 05, 2014, 10:32:34 PM »
Who's the powdercoater for the trophies? I think autocycle quoted me like $150 a wheel for 15's a while back. I don't know what new would be though.

That's who I talked to

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #476 on: May 06, 2014, 11:07:53 AM »
I just followed the big shiny things...
I went to the local truck stops and asked the ladies at the counter if they had the "aluminum polisher's" number.
(actually a truck driver buddy of mine clued me in).
It is going to cost between $150 and $200 to get the wheels polished.
The guy is coming to the house and doing it on site.
I will report back details, and photos.
I stripped off the spray bomb silver last night and pressure washed the backs of the wheels to remove stick on weight residue and A LOT of brake dust build up. These things have been on a Ghia before...
KC

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #477 on: May 06, 2014, 11:11:35 AM »
I asked at work about a powder coater we use here in Dalton and the Machine shop said there is a guy in Cleveland, TN that is more reasonable.
I will forward info to Russ when I get if so it can be put into the resources page.
Thanks.

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #478 on: May 09, 2014, 09:45:38 AM »
I posted this on the samba under what is your Ghia's top speed.
It has been a little slow on here lately...
"My 1776 SP was all in at 93 MPH with a 30/31 and an empi 4into 1 with baffled stinger.
I am only advancing the 010 to 23* (engine has only 112 miles on it).
Granted I was accelerating still, but the thrill was gone at this point.
Tires are 185-65 15's on back and 165 15's on front. I was upwards of 4300 RPM IIRC.
I was starving for fuel/air at this point with the 30-31 (happens at ~4300 rpm).
Building a set of Kadrons to go onto the vintage SP intake I have.
I will then install a larger diameter, equal-distant 4 into 1 header with the option of dual Quiet packs or stinger.
I will re attempt and report at this point. I will say that the Vert's front end was getting squirrely at the 90 mph area. I could feel the lift, it was an eye opening experience
I must say the SP 1776 has surprised me as to the length of the torque band. It pulls very hard consistently from ~1100 RPM through the ~4300 RPM range.
I was on flat interstate with basically 0 ambient wind speed.
-Yes the top was up...."
KC

Offline travisyoung

« Reply #479 on: May 09, 2014, 11:49:01 AM »
Thanks for keeping the forums alive,  when I first started reading and saw posted on the samba I thought you were selling the ghia

There was an error while liking
Liking...

About Us

Chattanooga's oldest and largest club for air-cooled and water-cooled Volkswagens, since 1998. Join Us

Follow Us

© 1998-2024 Scenic City Volks Folks