Forums

Topic: Today In VW Collecting History... ASBug's Growing Collection  (Read 112588 times)

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

Re: Today In VW Collecting History... ASBug's Growing Collection

« Reply #435 on: August 31, 2013, 10:37:00 AM »

Offline travisyoung

« Reply #436 on: August 31, 2013, 11:47:28 AM »
Looks nice,  his and hers :)

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA
  • Liked: 2 times

« Reply #437 on: August 31, 2013, 05:19:31 PM »
KC, I like the look of the bumper brackets on the pink one . . . you should give it a WWII Flying Tiger paint job!

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #438 on: September 07, 2013, 08:41:16 PM »
Ok, I have spent the past two weekends working all I could on the ghia and I only have 3 areas that need to be addressed before driving it regular.
Item 1: the car sat for a long time and the charge light isn't going out. I just spent all morning installing a new switch electrical part, and removing 2 toggle switches and about 7 feet of add on wiring that PO had done. Well according to the samba print out (67-70) ghia print I have all the wires in the right places, but Jenny's not putting out... I took off the points VR and put on a Bosch solid state one and bamo, nothing. I seem to remember that if a generator sits for a long time it could loose its magnetism and not charge, is that correct?
Item 2: the outter rear wheel bearing in the back has gotta be replaced. The inner Reece is missing, don't ask how. It involved a po and the nut not being tight on the axle while flat towing... Does the rear axle have to come out to pull this bearing? I am thinking about fabricating a puller, but if the axle is easily removed, then I'll just pull it and pound out the old one. Any advice?
Item 3: the blinkers are not working (neither is the brake lights....) the wiring on this 69 is WAY different than the samba wire diagram. I have a small round flasher and another unit which is different than the big 11 pin that they show on the print out. Any one know of a good color printout that would sow this set up.

A lot of my issues are related to wiring, when the car was painted, it appears that the wiring harness was removed or very well covered up. A lot of the wires are loose, mostly grounds. There are lots of little tape signs on the harness but the descriptions of where they go are vague... Like "connect to D on relay" this is on a black wire in the engine compartment that is coming off one of the main harnesses, but there is no relay, and no place to plug it into on the engine... Another is the fact that my gas gauge or clock do to work. But if I can get the charging system to working, then I'll tackle the others one at a time.

Just wanted to do a report on the ghia...
KC

Offline travisyoung

« Reply #439 on: September 07, 2013, 09:32:50 PM »
I know you can undo the belt and run the generator like a motor with a battery,  there should be a write up in the idiots guide and the Internet on how to do it

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

« Reply #440 on: September 07, 2013, 11:24:48 PM »
It's been years since I had to polarize a generator . . . I don't remember how just off the top of my head, but I do know that it's easy.  If running it as a motor will polarize it (and I think it should)  . . .  I believe you ground DF and and put power to D+.  By the way, 6 volt generators make super strong 12 volt motors.  Mike Jackson built a winch for his car trailer powered by one.  I once pulled a non-rolling bay window bus on the trailer using it.  It wasn't fast, but it got the job done.

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #441 on: September 09, 2013, 11:06:27 PM »
Ok, I have been sick all day, but I took a minute to polarize Jenny today. Results were so so. Jenny turned slowly, then sputtered out then spun again and so on... So I moved on. Well this afternoon, I hooked every thing back up. Drove up and down driveway, on return trip I saw the gen light go off for a minute. Well I checked the ground, it was loose, didn't fix it so I took my 1/2" ratchet and smacked Jenny up side the housing, and sparky bamo she's alive. I think the brushes are worn, but she is working. Also all the wiring I did on Saturday has caused my flashes and turn signals to work!  I still have to fix a brake light that is on when the key is on, get the rear wheel bearing replaced and then we can drive her. I have a leaky main seal and the side plates of trans seem th be damp with oil. The engine and trans appear to have been pulled and worked on, so I assume sitting since 1996 to 2011 may have killed the seals from sitting. KC

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #442 on: September 10, 2013, 09:44:27 PM »
I have decided to call this Ghia - Jenny. "Cause me and Jenny are like peas an carrots."
I washed the grime off the car today, it lightened it up 2 shades. Gonna get a buddy of mine to put in he bearings this week, cause I have no time and feel puny.
I am probably going to spring for the Stainless bumpers, but man they are expensive. I have talked the Vietcong guy down to $750 shipped, though. Will be driving by this weekend and will have at SAP.

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #443 on: September 15, 2013, 09:10:27 AM »
Went with the stainless bumpers, wow. Got the rear wheel bearings in, I did it myself! Changed out the carbs and set the timing, idles good now, cleaned up the brushes on the genny... Took the ghia to the gas station for a drink. Genny lasted 8 miles and is not working now... Bummer. Gonna get a new genny and install. Can this be done with engine in car? Wanna drive to sap, but need charging system working... KC

Offline travisyoung

« Reply #444 on: September 15, 2013, 10:14:06 AM »
I know you can on  the beetle,  I need to find out if it can be done on the thing

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

« Reply #445 on: September 15, 2013, 11:27:23 AM »
Went with the stainless bumpers, wow. Got the rear wheel bearings in, I did it myself! Changed out the carbs and set the timing, idles good now, cleaned up the brushes on the genny... Took the ghia to the gas station for a drink. Genny lasted 8 miles and is not working now... Bummer. Gonna get a new genny and install. Can this be done with engine in car? Wanna drive to sap, but need charging system working... KC
New brushes are cheap . . . I'd clean up the contact surface in the generator and throw some new brushes at it before I attempted to change it.  And if it doesn't already have a Bosch solid state regulator, go ahead and spring for one.  That regulator was the best $35 I ever spent on Homer.  Even if your current regulator is good, if it's not solid state, change it.

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #446 on: September 16, 2013, 02:19:39 PM »
Yeah, About that....
This one is spitting Chunks of what looks like aluminum shavings out of the housing....
Me thinketh the bearings are also toast.
Did I mention that it was sparky and smoking as well...
I have a new bosch one coming in tomorrow for it.
Will have it done by tomorrow night.
Then I just have to fix the brake light switch on the master cyl.
It seems to be stuck in on position, then install the bumpers when they arrive.
Then she can just be done!
KC

Offline volksnick

• Secretary
  • Club Member
  • Chattanooga

« Reply #447 on: September 16, 2013, 02:37:38 PM »

2 connectors or 3 on the switches? My understanding of the 3 pin is that it has a normally open and a normally closed switched. When wired correctly and functioning correctly, it should allow the test light to function on the dash. If wired up improperly, it might just stay on.

I cannot confirm this though. Its just my understanding from the few times I've had to deal with them.

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #448 on: September 16, 2013, 03:23:55 PM »

2 connectors or 3 on the switches? My understanding of the 3 pin is that it has a normally open and a normally closed switched. When wired correctly and functioning correctly, it should allow the test light to function on the dash. If wired up improperly, it might just stay on.

I cannot confirm this though. Its just my understanding from the few times I've had to deal with them.

I sort of remember an issue like this with the ASBug when I had it.
The MC has been replaced on this car so there may be a poor rewire done to it.I just need to test terminals and then move wires around... At least I hope.

Oh yeah, I already have replaced the VR with a solid state one.
KC
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 03:31:50 PM by ASBug »

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #449 on: September 22, 2013, 11:14:07 PM »
Got the brake lights working . Both switches were bad. Drove the ghia up to SAP on Saturday. Was able to score a KG script and a glove box cover for the trunk. Car drove well, and is really quiet. Still haven't got my bumpers in, but drove it any way.  KC

There was an error while liking
Liking...

About Us

Chattanooga's oldest and largest club for air-cooled and water-cooled Volkswagens, since 1998. Join Us

Follow Us

© 1998-2024 Scenic City Volks Folks