Forums

Topic: Today In VW Collecting History... ASBug's Growing Collection  (Read 112585 times)

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Re: Today In VW Collecting History... ASBug's Growing Collection

« Reply #405 on: April 12, 2013, 12:58:10 PM »
Automotive A.D.D. AGAIN!
I have found a Diesel Rabbit pick up with camper shell.
Needs a head, belt jumped time and ate valves.
Does any one have a head?
The owner has $200 into another head that has been disassembled and cleaned.
It has been parked 10 years or so, so I am thinking Brakes, Injection pump, all hoses, and filters.
I would just have to put the head back together and install.
The cap on the back has saved the bed, it looks good, body is pretty nice.
It is a 5 speed, I understand that is a problem based off of Russ' experience.
Any one on here have any thing good to say about these trucks?
This one even has a title
KC

KC, Have you ever sat in or drove one of those things. I bought one about 12 years ago for $125 and drove it home. After my wife pry'd me out of it ,I made a phone call and sold it to a midjet 2 hours later. I can see you "stuffed" in that truck. If you buy /repair it for quick resale you would be ok. And yes the 4 speed is better than the 5 speed. They get a lot better fuel mileage. Trust me on that fact. YOU HAD BETTER LET SOMEONE INSTALL THE "NEW" HEAD THAT KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING. One little mistake = "KA-BOOM !!!!!!   Have a good day ;D ;D. Other than that they are a great LITTLE truck for LITTLE people
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 01:01:50 PM by Ret.Bugtech »

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #406 on: April 12, 2013, 01:18:16 PM »
That is a good point David, I will have to sit in it!
KC

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA
  • Liked: 2 times

« Reply #407 on: April 14, 2013, 10:18:59 PM »
Automotive A.D.D. AGAIN!
It has been parked 10 years or so, so I am thinking Brakes, Injection pump, all hoses, and filters.
KC

KC, Have you ever sat in or drove one of those things. I bought one about 12 years ago for $125 and drove it home. After my wife pry'd me out of it ,I made a phone call and sold it to a midjet 2 hours later. I can see you "stuffed" in that truck. If you buy /repair it for quick resale you would be ok. And yes the 4 speed is better than the 5 speed. They get a lot better fuel mileage. Trust me on that fact. YOU HAD BETTER LET SOMEONE INSTALL THE "NEW" HEAD THAT KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING. One little mistake = "KA-BOOM !!!!!!   Have a good day ;D ;D. Other than that they are a great LITTLE truck for LITTLE people

David . . . were you really expecting KC to KEEP a vehicle?  He has been know to sell or trade one before he got it home!   ;D

Offline Ret.Bugtech

« Reply #408 on: April 14, 2013, 11:02:13 PM »
Automotive A.D.D. AGAIN!
KC

David . . . were you really expecting KC to KEEP a vehicle?  He has been know to sell or trade one before he got it home!   ;D
Just in case .  We have to keep the "un-clean" masses informed. Its our duty ;D ;D

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #409 on: June 04, 2013, 03:07:27 PM »
Funny thing is, I was telling someone else about this truck and I really do think I have it sold before I ever even sit in it....
LOL.
Also - Drove Al today.
Weather was going to be too good to keep him indoors.
Had to wear a jacket this morning....
KC

Offline certdubtech

• In the Garage...

« Reply #410 on: July 18, 2013, 08:29:46 AM »
I hate not getting on here often enough... I need you to start posting at the top of each page your current inventory... makes it easier for those of us that have to play catch-up and go back and read through everything... hahaha.

Hugs...  ;D

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #411 on: August 03, 2013, 11:58:59 PM »
Ok, feel real productive today, got the grass mowed, and some heavy duty weed eating done. Nick came by and dropped off a 1700 T4 engine I bought on a whim a while back. As much as I wanted to jump on it and get it running, I decided to get to work on the thing. I pulled the rear and front passengers fenders off and surveyed the damage. Wasn't too bad.  Some bad rust just before the rear fender, that will need some creative fabrication, but the front was rust free, just had that big old dent... So,I spent 2 hours, grinding off the heavy bondo on the front fender, and welded up all the cracks tears, and rust holes. GOOD GOSH those Mexicans loved the body glue and white undercoating stuff... I had to literally air chisel it off, then used the air ratchet to bust the bolts loose. Only broke one off... Then I cut out the bent nose corner and used a left over rounded corner from an air conditioner to fab a new piece.  You have got to see it... I have a few more cuts to do to the new nose piece then an hour or so to weld it in.radius was perfect! I am beat and back is tired from all the yard work. 3 more days of work and it would be ready to sand and paint. KC

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #412 on: August 05, 2013, 11:34:23 PM »
Got some more work done to the thing tonight. Straightened out the inner bracing in front nose and almost finished welding in the nose piece I created.
I have a potential trade of a 1970 single cab with dual treasure chests. May do it... Kc

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #413 on: August 11, 2013, 10:28:12 PM »
Traded the Honda for cash and a 1983 Toyota truck, 4x4 lifted, etc. needed a truck, and the fact it is  a awd is good. KC

Offline volksnick

• Secretary
  • Club Member
  • Chattanooga

« Reply #414 on: August 11, 2013, 11:06:52 PM »
Sweet! Solid axle? Post a pic or two!

Offline travisyoung

« Reply #415 on: August 12, 2013, 06:06:55 AM »
Now you need to come up to the Mtn,  we had fun on atena this weekend

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #416 on: August 12, 2013, 10:26:11 AM »
Sweet! Solid axle? Post a pic or two!
No idea what a solid axle is, but it ha been beefed up on the front end, looks like a different make steering box and such.  Drove 3.5 hours to my house from Taccoa, GA.
No radio, dash is a mess, AC seems to all be there, has the 22RE engine.  Not a lot of rust, but really needs to be painted...
KC

Offline volksnick

• Secretary
  • Club Member
  • Chattanooga

« Reply #417 on: August 12, 2013, 12:55:51 PM »
The 4WD toyota trucks went from a straight axle (solid axle) in the early years to the independent front suspension in about '85 or 86. Those are the axles that are the envy of all smaller sized 4WDs. People put "toyota axles" under Suzukis and Geos, which are the axles you got. If it is an original condition early 4WD toyota pick up truck and its not all crapped out and ragged out, then you did alright. Those are very desirable trucks amongst off roaders.

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #418 on: August 12, 2013, 06:50:39 PM »
Yep, straight axles. Ball / socket pivots on ends. Like my old cj2a. Got s new starter for it Saturday, and an oil change. Parts guy said it used 20w50 motor oil so I felt right at home...

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #419 on: August 13, 2013, 12:19:16 AM »

It is pretty stock, I do not see a body or frame lift kit, but it is taller than I am tall... 6'4" for me... KC

There was an error while liking
Liking...

About Us

Chattanooga's oldest and largest club for air-cooled and water-cooled Volkswagens, since 1998. Join Us

Follow Us

© 1998-2024 Scenic City Volks Folks