Forums

Topic: Today In VW Collecting History... ASBug's Growing Collection  (Read 112580 times)

Offline travisyoung

Re: Today In VW Collecting History... ASBug's Growing Collection

« Reply #360 on: January 09, 2013, 08:50:18 PM »
Sounds good to me,  there are a lot of check valves in the 1.8 t engine,  at least 6.

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

Texas sized smile!

« Reply #361 on: January 19, 2013, 07:49:42 PM »
Ok, Kudos to Nick for bird dogging this for me.

I just bought a 1970 Westfalia.
Cali delivered (complete with habitation inspection plate), all complete except upper cot replaced (early on) with an ingenious sliding bed up top.
This is the first bus I have ever bought that I drove home!
Bus was in Sewanee at the university, and was from vermont before.
At first blush it appears that the PPO was the second owner and got it from the original owner, Lived in Denver for awhile, then moved to Vermont.
PO was from same town and the PPO's son came to Sewanee to get educated, bus came with him.  Sat mostly for the 4 years son was there.  PO is husband of professor at university, knew kids family up north and bought bus. PO is in his 50's and said he remembered when they moved in with the bus.
Has a title, correct cat C tires (4 years old with <3K miles on them - I have reciepts), New brake components all around including master cyl. - With in last 3 years / Reciepts), NO RUST. I mean it, NO RUST. Bottom was coated for Vermont, then bus was parked for winter. Also appears to have had ports added to put fish oil in all the doglegs and rocker pannels.
It has had the original linolium replaced with those stick on tiles (looks like 1980's brick pattern. The curtains are close, but are repops (made by PPO's wife.) rear seats reupholstered in Black. Sink and Icebox intact, this one has a different 110-115 volt hook up than I am used to, but appears to be OEM. Gonna run the M-codes.
Engine is a Blank non-stamped universal case, no VW logo either to show rebuilt exchange. Looks to be a 1500-1600 SP. Not the peppiest engine, thinking 1500. Has all the adjuster stuff still hooked to carb. Runs but needs a tune up, valves are noisy with more than 1/2 throttle under load. Doesn't appear to leak oil too bad.  What is leaking is going right into the passenger's heat exchanger! I was begining to worry coasting down the mountian in gear at 55-60, it was bellowing allot of smoke out of the dash vents. Finally burned off, but was pretty intense for a minute or so...(I made lots of friends on I-24 /I-75 today, they kept telling me I was #1...)  The best part is the Bus has OEM paint!!! It has been touched up in one or two areas, but is 95+% oem white on white.
I am stoked.
Gonna digest the service records (have a whole binder full of them...) but at first glance the Speedo aligns with the records to indicate a true 74K miles!
Been a busy day,
KC
Pictures later...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 07:51:45 PM by ASBug »

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #362 on: January 20, 2013, 09:41:44 AM »
Photos:

Offline Ret.Bugtech

« Reply #363 on: January 20, 2013, 11:07:09 AM »
I will bet on you having a 1600.  All vans in the U.S. starting in '68 were 1600cc.  I would be inclined to think that the case was replaced with O.T.C. unit when it was re-built somewhere along the line. Factory OEM(dealer) cases were usually marked with the series letter but no #. Sort of like the case marked with the letter M for Mexican production.  VW factory re-built turn key engines were marked with the VW logo with the surrounded  "circles " and the letter "P" ( planed down and rebored back to std main brg's )but no serial #.   VW "Vorloft"(?) turn key engines were brand new from the factory with the case series # only.

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #364 on: January 20, 2013, 02:42:34 PM »
Thanks, I am stoked.
Gonna buff the paint, it is thin in a couple of places where it has been buffed through over the years, the paint is amazing though.
Has an 1990's pioneer AM/FM/Casette in it that plays great, but I will be putting an early 70's 8 track I have in it. at the back of the bus someone has put an 8 track and a speaker in the cabinet.
Doesn't seem to be getting power now, but must have been used for mood music for the downstairs bed...
It is in Darn good shape, you can tell that it has not been left to the weather long, except for the past 4 years or so.
The PPO's spent a fortune on it to get it ready for their son to drive while at school. In 2008 it had 72K on the odo now it has just under 75K, with about 1,200 miles being the trip down. The PPO wrote his mileages and gas consumption for the trip in '08 and it averaged ~25mpg all interstate, not bad.
Feels like the valves are loose and the peppyness is lacking, but I have never ran a 1500 /1600 sp in a bus before. has the restrictive tiny bus exhaust on it (was put on in 1998 - have reciepts! midus wit a warranty, wonder if it is still good?)...
Acording to the reciepts the speedo was changed out at approx 38K with a new one and therefore the bus has approx 112K on it, not as good but still low for a 42 year old car.

I knocked the 2 light dents in the corners out with my hand, gonna roll the insides with a hard wood roller I have for this, but you can hardly see them now anyway..
It appears that the dealer in Cali that this was bought from is still in business!
I have emailed them and want to get some swag for the bus.
I am also interested in getting a set of painted hubcaps for the bus, any one have some? Light to moderate patina is ok.
Also found the childs cot/ poles for the front in all places, the top of the cabinet (right where it is supposed to be... LOL.).
Also, none of the oem materials show an engine #(owners manual, viehicle inspection reciept... all have a place to mark, but no #??? I also have looked through all the reciepts, and cannot find one for an engine - used trans on one of them for $225 installed, but no engine.
The engine was pulled several times to be resealed gaskets- etc,and have head work done on it (2 helicoils and 1 used head - see helicoil statement before  ).
I have never seen a non reground engine number area not marked, has anyone ever seen a non marked engine that came from the plant?
Just curious gonna lightly rub it cown with 500 grit and see what is up...

Thing's shifter is tight and it drops into gear perfect, lotsa monies and love have been put into this bus...
KC

Offline Russ

« Reply #365 on: January 20, 2013, 07:31:59 PM »
Nice score! Maybe one day you'll hang on to one of these buses that passes through your hands...

Offline Ret.Bugtech

« Reply #366 on: January 20, 2013, 08:33:24 PM »
Negative on a non-marked original from the factory engine

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #367 on: January 20, 2013, 08:41:51 PM »
@russ: this one is tempting, but I like the later interior so much more...
The ghetto slider bed up top on this one is nice though.
This one has seatbelts for 5 so that is a plus.
Canvas up top is original and dry rotted, Seriously considering taping up insides and coating the whole top with a flexible rubber coating that can bend and repel h2o.
I still thinkg I have nerve damage from the last top I put in about 2.5 years ago...
@ Retired Bug techie: Cleaned the only sludge on the top end of engine off (seams to ooze out of the seal between the Gen stand and block, just enough to cover the VW recycling mark and a "B" single relief annotation.
So at some point on one of these Reciepts that state "R&R engine", it got changed out. Prices being so different, I need to look for an abnormally high "R&R" charge and assume that this was it.
The original owner may be alive, and I am going to track him down... or at least try.
KC

Offline volksnick

• Secretary
  • Club Member
  • Chattanooga

« Reply #368 on: January 21, 2013, 02:40:06 AM »
I am also interested in getting a set of painted hubcaps for the bus, any one have some? Light to moderate patina is ok.
KC

Check with Anthony. If I recall, he has a set of the original work bus hub caps for the wide 5s in the original kombi/panel colors. He was reasonable on his prices, or you could wait until Saturday and try to snatch them first!!!

Offline Ret.Bugtech

« Reply #369 on: January 21, 2013, 11:00:45 AM »
@russ: this one is tempting, but I like the later interior so much more...
The ghetto slider bed up top on this one is nice though.
This one has seatbelts for 5 so that is a plus.
Canvas up top is original and dry rotted, Seriously considering taping up insides and coating the whole top with a flexible rubber coating that can bend and repel h2o.
I still thinkg I have nerve damage from the last top I put in about 2.5 years ago...
@ Retired Bug techie: Cleaned the only sludge on the top end of engine off (seams to ooze out of the seal between the Gen stand and block, just enough to cover the VW recycling mark and a "B" single relief annotation.
So at some point on one of these Reciepts that state "R&R engine", it got changed out. Prices being so different, I need to look for an abnormally high "R&R" charge and assume that this was it.
The original owner may be alive, and I am going to track him down... or at least try.
KC
"B" case = 1970.  Possibly factory rebuilt engine and "messed" with later on. Be sure to shake the pulley back and forth for excessive end play.  "B" cases were subject to wear the main brg. saddle in the case on the thrust end for some reason.

Offline volksnick

• Secretary
  • Club Member
  • Chattanooga

« Reply #370 on: January 22, 2013, 03:39:44 PM »
from anthony's moving sale thread:

I do have a gas heater, though, and two more for the Westy/Busses, along with one set of wiring and hardware!

Offline Russ

« Reply #371 on: January 22, 2013, 06:27:33 PM »
I have a propane tank that mounts under the bus. I could be talked out of it.

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #372 on: January 22, 2013, 09:59:01 PM »
Must....RESIST....NEED...TO...SELL......
I really like this bus.
Looked at another today, it is a hodge podge high top like Nicks.
Body is average.  Comes with a running? 1.7 pancake and 2 rebuilt carbs.
I made a rediculously low offer and he has called me back to say he'll take it.
It is empty inside, except the front seats and dash stuff. I would probably pull the trans and engine, etc. and sell the rest. Any interest in a pretty sweet High top that comes attached to an average 1972 deluxe (with all trim) body?
Thanks...
KC

Offline volksnick

• Secretary
  • Club Member
  • Chattanooga

« Reply #373 on: January 22, 2013, 11:54:25 PM »
Must....RESIST....NEED...TO...SELL......
I really like this bus.
Looked at another today, it is a hodge podge high top like Nicks.
Body is average.  Comes with a running? 1.7 pancake and 2 rebuilt carbs.
I made a rediculously low offer and he has called me back to say he'll take it.
It is empty inside, except the front seats and dash stuff. I would probably pull the trans and engine, etc. and sell the rest. Any interest in a pretty sweet High top that comes attached to an average 1972 deluxe (with all trim) body?
Thanks...
KC

I'd be interested in the trim! PM me what you want for it. I know people want the hightop. Seen a few want ads for them

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #374 on: January 24, 2013, 09:37:19 PM »
Should be picking the extra bus up on Saturday.
Unless the body impresses me, I plan on:
Selling a non cracked hightop,
Taking the engine and trans out.
Engine for Ghia,
Trans for sale,
take 2 perfect low back bus seats out (brown in color),
sell some extra header and quied pack that fit a triangle T4 exhaust,
Sell the deluxe trim that is with it.
Then I plan to sell the shell to Alvin, or the junk yard.
Any one need any thing?
KC

There was an error while liking
Liking...

About Us

Chattanooga's oldest and largest club for air-cooled and water-cooled Volkswagens, since 1998. Join Us

Follow Us

© 1998-2024 Scenic City Volks Folks