Forums

Topic: Today In VW Collecting History... ASBug's Growing Collection  (Read 112562 times)

Offline volksnick

• Secretary
  • Club Member
  • Chattanooga

Re: Today In VW Collecting History... ASBug's Growing Collection

« Reply #135 on: November 08, 2011, 10:28:27 AM »
well let me know. my 5 speed is toast. its the only thing keeping me from driving it every day.

Huntsville Craigslist has a 5 speed out of a rabbit truck for $250.

EDIT- I thought I saw it yesterday- maybe its already down? Or it was somewhere else... I don't know. Sorry
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 12:18:43 PM by Bignick »

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #136 on: January 01, 2012, 11:34:44 PM »
Update: The Vert is ALIVE.
I have had a problem with the Hall ignition unit.
I tested using all the wires, did voltage drop tests, prodded this, wiggled that...
NO GO.
So in frustration, I ordered a 1979 points type disto. I cleaned it / lubed it. I installed a newish looking points set from my 1975 bus I converted to petronix. I used the condensor that came with the disto. I put in an internally regulated bosch Blue coil (no need for the specific resistor wire, just a little green one to the coil neg side.
So, as a cost wrap up:
used disto = $20 (vortex.)
points, etc. = free.
wire = scavaged from a pile, free.
Bosch Blue coil = $35 (VWFLAPS)
2 hours of time to swap including the rebuild clean of the disto...
Driving the vert for 1st time since Thanksgiving = Priceless.

Time has been a precious commodity since I have been back to school for the MBA, I could have / should have done this swap earlier and just skipped all the testing and new parts I put into attempting to resurect the OEM Hall unit - oh the time I have wasted...

I strongly suggest that any one having massive issues with their crumbly MK 1 wiring harness, look at doing this change over if you cannot isolate a single smoking gun.

This really cleans out alot of useless wires after the swap.
I'll get some shots if any one is interested...
I am still thinking a nice side draft set up would work way better than this pain to dial in CIS-E system I have now, that would really clean out the engine bay.

Now the disclamer:
It was neccessary to modify / swap the drive gears in my case, the 1979 drive gear is approx. 2mm larger OD than the 1982 halls unit. This was critical on my engine in that the oil pump drive has a smaller socket for this base. I counted the teeth, and measured the pitch, that part was the same, just the smooth pin through area below is different. After beating on the pin through for like 30 minutes and using an acetaline torch to try to free it up to no avail I gave up on swapping them out and just chucked the 1979 Disto in the large floor mount drill press I have, used a vise as a tool rest and used a 1.5" bastard file edge as a grinder while the shaft was turning. I steadied the disto by holding the body with my left hand while working the file with my right. I could not find my calipers, so I chucked and rechucked 4 times untill It was just right. The height of the short side of the file is more than what is needed to fit down into the oil pump socket.
I still have no battery light prior or after ignition, but I checked the voltage and I am getting the 13.5 V from the Altenator.

I plan on a petronix in the rabbit, but the points were new and I had every thing at home to do it.

Just wanted to throw this out as an option if any one is having the same problems I had, and none of the usuall suspects is the cause.
KC

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #137 on: January 01, 2012, 11:43:38 PM »
Oh yeah, I drove Kermit the 1975 Bus around in my drive way!  Runs well, no knocks, shifts good into reverse and 1st w/o popping out. Almost all the lights work. Getting 13.5 V from the alternator. 
Still have to replace about 4 fuel lines.  I just changed out the ones that were leaking  ;D.
Once I got a little fresh with the fuel pump (read ball peen hammer here...) It worked and has been OK since.  Didn't want to turn on when 1st tried on Friday night.
Parking brakes are weak, but all cables appear to be there and they will stop the bus from self rolling on a slight grade, but they are deffinately WEAK.  (PO told Zen and I that she had ?removed? them.... Feels like they are just loose.
Front windshield is leaking, but safelite and $150 will cure that.
Will get some photos up, soon.
KC

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA
  • Liked: 2 times

« Reply #138 on: January 01, 2012, 11:56:21 PM »
Woo Hoo!  I know the feeling when you finally get something like this whipped.  Now if I can just have this feeling about my Passat door handle . . .  ;D

Offline IntrstlarOvrdrve

« Reply #139 on: January 12, 2012, 06:30:02 PM »
Is that a factory air compressor on that cabriolet? It looks like a york..I bet it would freeze you out if it works

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #140 on: January 12, 2012, 10:53:18 PM »
Yep, it is a York.
It looks like a different one than most of the ones I see on the vortex.
Thanks,
KC

Offline dubtech

• Hixson

« Reply #141 on: January 16, 2012, 09:03:18 PM »
My old GTI had one of those compressors on it.  It worked great but it sucked so much HP to run the thing it felt like you tossed an anchor out the back every time you turned it on.

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #142 on: January 16, 2012, 09:43:04 PM »
If I decide to dump the CIS for a carbie, I plan on probably pulling the compressor and putting on a smaller one from a newer car.
I would just pull the AC, but when it is 100*+ your hot even in a vert.
I need to get a multitester with a duty cycle so as to dial in the CIS...
Thanks,
KC

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #143 on: January 23, 2012, 08:50:01 AM »
Kermit: (This one Zen DID tow for me!)
As Found:

After this weekend:

Have put a couple of hundred miles on her now...
KC

Offline drobe88

• D~Town

« Reply #144 on: February 04, 2012, 08:42:36 PM »
I love your.bus.... Green is my fav color

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #145 on: February 04, 2012, 09:41:48 PM »
Thanks,
I did the wheels yesterday and pulled a rear tail light assembly from the black and white R&M Bus "Bad Cop".  I now have all working lights except the passenger's back marker, wires for it are too short and I didn't feel like getting the electrical stuff out today.
I drove the bus to the cruise in on Friday and the bus was getting this low power situation.  I filled up the bus and voila, problem cured.  I put in 8+ gallons and I am assuming that the fuel pump isn't doing all it should.
Gonna run it till I can get another FP (I have free towing for 120 miles...)
It really drives well.  I need to get a front end alignment -
Any one know who can align a bus?
Thanks,
KC

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #146 on: February 07, 2012, 12:16:12 PM »
More photos:

KC

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #147 on: February 11, 2012, 11:03:01 PM »
Got a Ghia.
Some welding along the bottom front (pin holes), also needs some pans, but the heat exchangers are good. I'm stoked - It was delivered, I didn't need to call Zen.
Pulled the 1600 DP apart tonight for the inspection, rods and crank = little to no play.
The Cyl that had no compression had stuck rings.  Broke the rings trying to lift them out, that same cyl has some rust.  
Any one have a good std. 1600 Cyl.
The other 3 are good enough to use.  I honed the cyl a little to clean it up and it is just too pitted to use (top 1.5").  I am going to get a new set if I have to, but they are so expensive...
I'll at least need a new cyl, and a set of rings for the cyl.
The heads are dirty but not cracked.  One cyl has had a helicoil, but looks solid.
KC
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 11:10:02 PM by ASBug »

Offline Ret.Bugtech

« Reply #148 on: February 11, 2012, 11:37:08 PM »
I take it you are not going to split the case ?   I believe I would at least drop the strainer and see what kind of junk/water is in there.

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #149 on: February 12, 2012, 04:49:14 PM »
Pulled the strainer, it had done it's job.
There is a small amount of sludge in the bottom.
I plan on spraying kerosene or some kind of solvent in there to clean out the bottom of the engine case to clean out.
With the pistons and cyl removed there is alot of space.
to get in there.

@David: do you have a std cyl and rings (used)?
Thanks,
KC

There was an error while liking
Liking...

About Us

Chattanooga's oldest and largest club for air-cooled and water-cooled Volkswagens, since 1998. Join Us

Follow Us

© 1998-2024 Scenic City Volks Folks