Forums

Topic: Today In VW Collecting History... ASBug's Growing Collection  (Read 112528 times)

Offline travisyoung

Re: Today In VW Collecting History... ASBug's Growing Collection

« Reply #105 on: July 12, 2011, 10:21:32 PM »
the title is a little tricky, i have one ;D

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #106 on: July 13, 2011, 04:09:08 PM »
Drobe,
Yep, I traded it for Gary's.
I think the motor mount(s) are toast.
I am going to a friend of mines this evening and putting it on a rack to have a lookie lu.
After I get the judgement on what it needs / get it fixed, I'll want to see the volks rod.
Travis, did you ever get a title on the rod?
KC
Lookie Lu was inconclusive.
I think the Passenger's side axle is toast, BUT, there may be too much play in the differential of this thing as well.  The Mechanic that I went to has little experience with this trannie though and reffered me to a former VW mechanic from Dalton's Dealership - (he has his own shop.)
I just want to get it running ASAP.  Do not want to drive it more than neccessary to keep from damaging something if it is the differential.
KC

Offline drobe88

• D~Town

« Reply #107 on: July 13, 2011, 11:20:10 PM »
 :o man hope it's just an axle or something simple!

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #108 on: July 14, 2011, 01:08:49 PM »
Had one of the Chattanooga Dealership Mechanics look at it yesterday and he stated it is NOT the trannie.  He said the Passat Trannies are tough.  The axles however are toast. He said it felt like an inner CV Joint had bit the dust.  I am asking him to get me a quote for some axles (OEM VW, and another 3 letter brand I cannot remember...)
He will then prepare a quote for me to fix the front axles.  Every thing else looked clean and tight.
I need to raise up the front a little, the Votex bumper trim is only like 3" off the ground.  At least they used the correct lowering kit for the front in lieu of just cutting the springs.
Travis, I cannot remember this guy's name, but he works with you and he lives like 4 miles from my house.
KC

Offline travisyoung

« Reply #109 on: July 14, 2011, 04:00:44 PM »
Jody? or jarrin

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #110 on: July 14, 2011, 06:29:38 PM »
Jody.
I'm going to let him bring it by tommorow I think to check out the axles on the lift.
He told me that the differential has a seperate oil system. Just like an autostick!!!  LOL.
KC

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #111 on: October 03, 2011, 08:39:26 AM »
New Toy:
MK1 - 1982 Cabriolet Wolfsburg Ed. OEM paint and interior is good.
Sat for 9 years in shed.
Idles great, accelerates like a turd.
Gonna change all the vaccume lines, injector seals etc.  Car has 115K miles and is sharp.  Dent on drivers front (photo) is only dent (of any significance) on car. Top is soft and in one piece.  distributor is an Electronic ignition one from a later ?rabbit? vaccume advance seems to work, but hose is leaking and this could be cause of accelleration issues.  I have 2 ground wires that are loose, one is pictured as the ground to the AC clutch and the other is deep down at the alternator base.  Looks like it might go under the diode for the Voltage Regulator, but I have no idea.... Altenator is showing 13.5 V at battery with car running, but Volt guage is showing <11 volts, oil pressure is good, 1.5 Bar at idle with warm engine.  Heat works (leaking a drip or so at the heater switch...  Any way have a lookie lu, seems to be the original 1.6 Fuel injected engine.  Oh yeah, I love the wheels 4-Lug Phone dials.  Never seen them before, 13" with correct offset.

Offline certdubtech

• In the Garage...

« Reply #112 on: October 03, 2011, 08:44:35 AM »
Those little guys are fun to drive.  Definitely a chick car, but I enjoyed the one we had years ago.  Nice looking little vert, Casey.   ;D

Offline Russ

« Reply #113 on: October 03, 2011, 09:12:18 AM »
Ooh. Chick car or not, I've always wanted a little red Cabriolet like this. Nice find! Especially with the phone dials.

Offline certdubtech

• In the Garage...

« Reply #114 on: October 03, 2011, 09:16:36 AM »
^^^^ This is Casey, Russ.  If you want it, just trade him something for it.   ;)

;D

Offline Russ

« Reply #115 on: October 03, 2011, 09:24:37 AM »
Ha, or I bet in a few months it'll be for sale ;)

Offline volksnick

• Secretary
  • Club Member
  • Chattanooga

« Reply #116 on: October 03, 2011, 09:45:59 AM »
Ha, or I bet in a few months it'll be for sale ;)

or just gone...

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #117 on: October 03, 2011, 01:13:42 PM »
I represent those remarks...
LOL.
Yeah, I figgure I can cruise in it untill I get tired of it.  The girls have wanted another convertable since I sold the '75 SB last year.
This car is NICE on the inside and obviously has spent alot of time inside.
115K miles on a 30 year old car = <4K a year and even with the sitting that isn't alot of miles.  The wheels are incta wheels and are german acording to the Vortex and are the Type 1 or phone dials that were used on the porsche's so yeah, I realy do have the 13" 4 lug phone dials!
Oh yeah, they are rare as well in any thing but the porsche patterns and off sets...
Score!
I have liked these cars since they were new, but the chickiness of the car always kept me from getting one.  Now I am old and I just do not give a crap what people think, so I got one!  
KC
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 01:19:22 PM by ASBug »

Offline certdubtech

• In the Garage...

« Reply #118 on: October 03, 2011, 01:45:11 PM »
I have liked these cars since they were new, but the chickiness of the car always kept me from getting one.  Now I am old and I just do not give a crap what people think, so I got one!  
KC

Now that I can get behind...  :D :D :D

Offline volksnick

• Secretary
  • Club Member
  • Chattanooga

« Reply #119 on: October 03, 2011, 08:17:11 PM »
KC

Now that I can get behind...  :D :D :D

You can get behind a guy in a chick car... starting to worry about you  ??? ???       ;D

There was an error while liking
Liking...

About Us

Chattanooga's oldest and largest club for air-cooled and water-cooled Volkswagens, since 1998. Join Us

Follow Us

© 1998-2024 Scenic City Volks Folks