Forums

Topic: My Rabbit  (Read 39469 times)

Offline Russ

Re: My Rabbit

« Reply #135 on: November 24, 2014, 10:47:00 PM »
Having some electrical problems recently...

Last week, I was driving at night and my radio cut off, along with my headlights and dash lights which got very, very dim. I took it straight home and by the time I got there I had practically no lights at all. Shut it off, tried to crank it again and sure enough the battery was completely flat.

I checked the alternator and the exciter wire had come unplugged. Bingo! I plugged it back in and then put the battery on a trickle charger for a couple of days. Then when it was fully charged, I cranked it up and noticed the battery light in the dash was staying on. So I took it to Auto Zone and let them test the alt. They confirmed very quickly that it was dead. I was fully fine with this cause I think it was the original alternator to the Jetta so it was probably just time for it to go anyways. I got a rebuilt Duralast with a lifetime warranty.

Couldn't remove the weird clutched pulley off the original alternator, luckily Sal had a solid pulley for me so I put that on and then installed the new alternator. Again, let the battery get a good charge on the trickle charger and started it up. Battery light is still on.

I took it back to Auto Zone tonight and had them test the battery, it tested good. Tested the alternator next and he said the diodes were good but it had a bad voltage regulator. It's internal so it should have had a new regulator in the first place.

All I can do now is take it back out and let them bench test it to further diagnose. Does this seem likely that I got a bad rebuilt alternator? I would think they are all tested before they are sold but who knows. Could something else be going on that would cause this? Does a bad voltage regulator mean it won't charge the battery?

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA
  • Liked: 2 times

« Reply #136 on: November 25, 2014, 12:07:59 AM »
Does this seem likely that I got a bad rebuilt alternator? I would think they are all tested before they are sold but who knows. Could something else be going on that would cause this? Does a bad voltage regulator mean it won't charge the battery?

While something else could be going on, I wouldn't be surprised if the alternator is bad.  Yeah, it "should" have a new regulator and it "should" have been tested before it left the rebuilders . . . But I've seen a lot of BRAND NEW parts that were bad right out of the box.    Rebuilt stuff . . . I've seen a lot of junk!

Funny story -- I ran into an old boss of mine a few years ago at Auto Zone.  He was recovering from a stroke and I was kind of shocked to see him.  I said I was glad to see that he was out and about.  He told me it wasn't because he wanted to be, it was because he had trained his wife too well.  What?  He said "yeah . . . my son was helping me replace the starter on my old truck.  When we got it off, I sent my wife over to get a new one.  I gave her all the info she needed and added, When they bring it out, take it out of the box and make sure the new one is EXACTLY like the old one.  Well, it is.  This one is bad too."

Offline Russ

« Reply #137 on: March 10, 2015, 02:00:04 PM »
New KYB shocks and Vogtland sport springs made a dramatic difference. Love the way it rides now!

Offline travisyoung

« Reply #138 on: March 16, 2015, 03:59:21 PM »
nice

There was an error while liking
Liking...

About Us

Chattanooga's oldest and largest club for air-cooled and water-cooled Volkswagens, since 1998. Join Us

Follow Us

© 1998-2024 Scenic City Volks Folks