• Club Member
  • Chattanooga

Re: 71 ghia

« Reply #135 on: July 14, 2014, 05:51:40 PM »
Looks good!

Offline travisyoung

« Reply #136 on: July 14, 2014, 06:00:21 PM »
a quick wipe down,  I did get a little over spray but should jus wipe off,  cheap masking tape left residue also,  didn't help I parked it outside

Offline travisyoung

« Reply #137 on: July 29, 2014, 09:44:02 PM »
ghia at cars and coffee,  running good,
 Replaced the battery,  starts all the time now,  need to get the gas gauge working and the lights all working,  speedo cable is broken

Offline travisyoung

« Reply #138 on: November 27, 2014, 04:35:06 PM »
Replaced the starter today,  the old one worked when jumped it off,  the end of the Solonoid where the cable bolts up cracked and must have had trouble making contact,  put the front shocks on, went for a drive, good thanksgiving

Offline travisyoung

« Reply #139 on: December 19, 2014, 01:15:59 PM »
Been driving the ghia some,  replaced the speedo cable today so now I can tell how fast I'm going,  still no fuel gauge,  probably going to try cleaning the contacts,  had the sender out and it appeared to be changing resistance as I moved the float,

Offline volksnick

• Secretary
  • Club Member
  • Chattanooga

« Reply #140 on: December 19, 2014, 02:14:55 PM »
Been driving the ghia some,  replaced the speedo cable today so now I can tell how fast I'm going,  still no fuel gauge,  probably going to try cleaning the contacts,  had the sender out and it appeared to be changing resistance as I moved the float,

How's your vibrator?   :D ;D :D

No really, there is one on the back of the speedometer that keeps the surging of electricity from a bouncy float/sender. I've replaced a sender and it was the vibrator. I have a good sender if you need one! As for the vibrator, they are usually on the back of the speedometers that have the built in gage. I think its held on with an small screw.

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #141 on: December 19, 2014, 03:29:48 PM »
Travis,
Do not get too alarmed if you do not find a vibrator on the back of the guage like a beetle speedo.  Only the last year or so had vibrators, I believe it was only '74, but I thinks some late '73's had them.
My' 69 doesn't have a vibrator and my gauge moves around a lot when I drive.
For the 1st few 200 miles or so, my guage didn't work, I checked the fuse, checked the continuity of the wires to power and to sender and nada.
Then after about 200 miles the guage went to 1/4 then 1/2 tank after a few tank fulls of gas, that stayed for about 6 months, then bamo about 4 months ago it just started working.
It never gets quite full, but it is way better than it was, my idea is that the caramelized gas was stopping the float from moving in the cyl.
I know you said you checked yours, but might be worth a look again.

If you use a vibrator, I bet you can use a regular beetle sender in stead of the crazy ghia tube one...
KC

Offline travisyoung

« Reply #142 on: December 19, 2014, 04:15:01 PM »
My float moves,  not sure if it floats or not but don't remember fuel coming out of it,  found my flasher switch broken apart and flopping around,  good thing I didn't start a fire ,  speedo worked good for a few miles  then this on the freeway

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #143 on: December 22, 2014, 04:30:30 AM »
Mine does that too, but only when doing 92 mph...

Offline travisyoung

« Reply #144 on: December 22, 2014, 02:14:05 PM »
My wipers are at a snails speed also,  sprayed some lube and they seem to be getting better.  Mine seems pretty peppy with that new motor in her,  she might do 90 down hill

Offline travisyoung

« Reply #145 on: December 23, 2014, 12:15:40 PM »
Figured out what the horrible flapping noise was while driving on the freeway,  the speedo,  wonder if there is any way to lube it up

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA
  • Liked: 2 times

« Reply #146 on: December 23, 2014, 05:16:50 PM »
Figured out what the horrible flapping noise was while driving on the freeway,  the speedo,  wonder if there is any way to lube it up

I've taken several Beetle and Super Beetle speedo's apart and attempted to repair the odometers.  I think once I actually FIXED one!  Super Beetles were Super Bad about the plastic pinion gear that drives the odometer cracking and spinning on it's shaft.  I never actually worked on the speedometer end of them . . . other than maybe blowing the dust and cobwebs out of them.  I don't remember there being much to the speedometer that would need lubrication (but it's probably been 15 years since I had one apart).  All the speedometer problems I ever had with a Beetle had something to do with the cable.

Offline travisyoung

« Reply #147 on: December 23, 2014, 06:13:45 PM »
I put a new cable in and it worked for a day,  now it's all over the place,  the odometer turns over

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA
  • Liked: 2 times

« Reply #148 on: December 24, 2014, 08:54:30 AM »
I put a new cable in and it worked for a day,  now it's all over the place,  the odometer turns over

Did you replace the cable and the sheath or just the cable?  Did you lubricate the cable in any way?  Does the sheath have any kinks or damage?  if the cable is hanging up, even slightly, it will twist between the wheel and the sticking point and stop between the sticking point and the speedometer . . . but only for a fraction of a second, then it will break loose and spin the speedometer end double speed until the cable gets back to preset twist . . . the momentum of the speedometer end will probably take it a little past that and cause it to start to "untwist" and swell up slightly causing it stick again.  If you hear a noise like high speed gears stripping as the needle is jumping all over the place, but the odometer is running smooth my money is on a problem in the cable, not the speedometer.  If you used a new cable and it was made in China or India or even Brazil . . . you may need to try two or three before you find a good one. 

Offline travisyoung

« Reply #149 on: December 24, 2014, 10:01:42 PM »
It was from cp1,  probably one of those,  I did not lube it,  the old one may have worked it seemed rounded out at the wheel cap,  may have to try lubricating the cable.  My wipers are working better now,  it is currently my only transportation,  the jeep is messed up

There was an error while liking
Liking...

About Us

Chattanooga's oldest and largest club for air-cooled and water-cooled Volkswagens, since 1998. Join Us

Follow Us

© 1998-2024 Scenic City Volks Folks