Forums

Topic: 1984 Vanagon Westfalia  (Read 7669 times)

Offline volksnick

• Secretary
  • Club Member
  • Chattanooga

1984 Vanagon Westfalia

« on: June 16, 2015, 03:16:59 PM »
I made the jump to non-operative Vanagon ownership at the first of the month! After driving to Slidell, LA to look at an '85 but found rust and a locked up engine... I came home defeated, but kept looking. I found the 84 listed on the local craigslist and jumped on it.

Its an 11/83 build, with full westfalia interior. The van was partly disassembled, but should be able to go back together easily. The 1.9 was supposedly leaking and removed. The PO was planning an engine swap and pulled the engine and trans. It has a new radiator for the front. He also built an ABA 2.0 with a 1.8 head to fit under the rear deck. The inline 4 cylinder conversion can be done using mostly stock parts by utilizing parts from the diesel vanagon. The diesel vanagon also had an I-4 installed at 50* to the left. This requires a special bell housing and deep oil pan/oil pump amongst other things. The PO went through a lot of trouble and money to track down all of those parts and had the whole kit ready to go.

Plans are to get the new engine wrapped up and convert the parts over, and bolt it up. Figure out wiring and exhaust and then drive it!  8) Down the road, it will get an exterior make over and some other clean up. Maybe some cool plate steel bumpers and the Gowesty lift springs (maybe).

Still need a name for this one!

Offline volksnick

• Secretary
  • Club Member
  • Chattanooga

Re: 1984 Vanagon Westfalia

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 03:20:04 PM »
A few photos
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 03:26:18 PM by volksnick »

Offline volksnick

• Secretary
  • Club Member
  • Chattanooga

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 03:21:28 PM »
More photos

You might notice the fun you can have when the vehicle you are loading collapses the ramps while getting it on the trailer... We bent another set after that before putting a set of oil change ramps underneath them to reduce the span.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 03:27:45 PM by volksnick »

Offline moneybags

Re:

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 08:12:27 PM »
That oil pan is intense

Sent by a gang called Turbulence.

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA
  • Liked: 2 times

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 11:25:48 PM »
If you use a bell housing off of a 90's bay window Mexican bus, you can install the ABA engine upright with a standard oil pan.  If you go that way though, you have to cut out a section of the engine access panel and raise it up a few inches so the engine will clear . . . then cut a chunk of the foam out of the bottom of the cushion over the panel.

Look at Kyle's Vanagonagon for details/inspiration . . . or just use the stuff you have and lay the engine on it's side.

Offline volksnick

• Secretary
  • Club Member
  • Chattanooga

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 11:53:31 PM »
If you use a bell housing off of a 90's bay window Mexican bus, you can install the ABA engine upright with a standard oil pan.  If you go that way though, you have to cut out a section of the engine access panel and raise it up a few inches so the engine will clear . . . then cut a chunk of the foam out of the bottom of the cushion over the panel.

Look at Kyle's Vanagonagon for details/inspiration . . . or just use the stuff you have and lay the engine on it's side.

I have everything that I need (I think!) to install it on it's side. Plus the po went to all the measures to put the 1.8 head on it to avoid the cross flow head which sticks up further. This setup should not impact the engine lid

There was an error while liking
Liking...

About Us

Chattanooga's oldest and largest club for air-cooled and water-cooled Volkswagens, since 1998. Join Us

Follow Us

© 1998-2024 Scenic City Volks Folks