Forums

Topic: 1967-69 Faux Manx Buggy Build  (Read 18600 times)

Offline volksnick

• Secretary
  • Club Member
  • Chattanooga

Re: 1967-69 Faux Manx Buggy Build

« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2016, 10:18:28 AM »
Nice!

But wait...where the heck is that? That shop looks too spacious for where I know (knew) you work(ed)? And it looks void of stuff. I'm really confused.... ???

Offline certdubtech

• In the Garage...

« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2016, 10:29:47 AM »
I went back to the former employer (Eurasian) back in the early summer... working 4 days a week now turning wrenches, hopefully be 3 by next year.  More time in the studio.  Business has really picked up with that, and my historic reproductions/ leather work.  The front space is currently vacant, so I have more elbow room to tinker with the buggy.

Offline certdubtech

• In the Garage...

« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2016, 11:26:01 AM »
Not a big fan of sloppy wiring in anything, I decided to follow the original Meyers thinking, and got some flexible wiring conduit, then glassed that in to the underside of the body to run my harness through.  Sprayed on some truck bedliner material, and it almost disappears into the backdrop. Wherever it exits the tubes, it will be in a loom/wrap tubing.  My anal retentive side can relax about this little bit now...

I can't stand messy anything, truth be told.  There is no excuse for lazy.  Most often, it's simply not being patient.  I have seen some buggies that are beautifully executed.  I have also seen some that were definitely late night and weekend builds after the cases of beer had been cracked open...  I would hope that this one will fall into place with the others when I am done.

Now to run the myriad of wires through the tubes. 

Offline volksnick

• Secretary
  • Club Member
  • Chattanooga

« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2016, 09:56:53 AM »
Congrats on the move and the cutting back in hours! Wiring conduit looks nice and will be helpful. Now you just have to get the 8 wires or so back there!

Offline certdubtech

• In the Garage...

« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2016, 02:09:49 PM »
After some creative thinking, a little bit of time, and a muttering of some expletives...

Wires are through the loom, and tucked in to their respective places at the tail end. (The dangling free stuff will wait til the chassis is under the body, so I can wire up the engine, starter, etc... 

Tomorrow I will start with all of the the stuff around the nose, Turn Signals, headlamps, etc...  The dash/hood bits I will pre-wire and then get that bolted back on.

My Roll Bar, tunnel access panel, and dash frame showed up from Meyers Manx on Friday. 

Feels good to finally be getting in the swing of things on this little fella.

Offline certdubtech

• In the Garage...

« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2016, 08:34:11 AM »
Admittedly, I sometimes get bogged down with little obsessive details...

Like when you must have the single speedo gauge in the center of the dash for aesthetic reasons, and the back of the pod hits the wiper linkage when it's in operation...  But aren't willing to compromise.

A little crude, but not that noticeable up under there, and it works... I can always relocate the high beam indicator to elsewhere on the dash.

Offline certdubtech

• In the Garage...

« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2017, 01:03:09 PM »
Taking care of the majority of the scary stuff this morning...  Drilling gigantic holes in fiberglass, I am definitely applying the old tried concept of "Measure twice, then a couple more times, then cut/drill"...

Perhaps those who were not raised with that bit of info account for all the buggy bodies out there with 11 holes for every one item mounted.

But, the little fella has a face now.

Next to finish modifying that fuel tank and the filler neck.  Welding on fuel tanks...  Good times. 

There was an error while liking
Liking...

About Us

Chattanooga's oldest and largest club for air-cooled and water-cooled Volkswagens, since 1998. Join Us

Follow Us

© 1998-2024 Scenic City Volks Folks