Forums

Topic: 1967-69 Faux Manx Buggy Build  (Read 18601 times)

Offline Got Bug ?

• Chattanooga, Tn

Re: 1967-69 Faux Manx Buggy Build

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2015, 09:15:12 PM »
Check the dates on those dimes. If they are 1964 or older they are silver!

Offline volksnick

• Secretary
  • Club Member
  • Chattanooga

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2015, 10:54:03 AM »
ooooohhhhh pretty!!!!  :o :o ;D ;D

Offline certdubtech

• In the Garage...

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2015, 09:50:57 AM »
Gonna dig into the transaxle and figure out my 2nd gear downshift crunch... I assume just a worn out synchronizer ring.... And replace anything else that I see worn out... I just won't look too hard.  :)

Step one of any Swing Axle Trans repair:

Find your nuts.

Check.

Offline certdubtech

• In the Garage...

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2015, 10:10:04 AM »
ooooohhhhh pretty!!!!  :o :o ;D ;D

For a moment there, I thought I had posted a picture of myself....

Offline certdubtech

• In the Garage...

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2015, 06:03:11 PM »
Transaxle tear-down during lunch... ordered the  bits that I need there.

Tonight's agenda was to take two lovely, heavy duty Wolfsburg West floor pans and chop them up with a sawz-all.

Trimming is done on the front sections, they fit like a glove.  I should finish up the rear sections (all 10" of them) in the morning.  To make the two halves fit is a bit tricky, but the Meyers site shows how they do them, and I will follow their lead there.  Basically like I had to figure out on my own so many years ago, but this time it's easier to just look at the pictures and follow the directions.  Cliff's notes version:  Cut a handful of relief cuts in a number of places and sleeve the rear sections into the front. 

Fun times!  I am already making the little dune buggy motor noises.

Offline certdubtech

• In the Garage...

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2015, 06:09:44 PM »
And another from the test-fit, you can see what I am saying about how the pieces meet up prior to the relief cuts...

Offline certdubtech

• In the Garage...

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2015, 08:33:18 PM »
Today, I managed to get the forward floor sections held in with a few rivets so I could start piecing the floors together.

Welded up the rear floor supports/cross members, and the rear section relief cuts made.  The driver's side is welded up on the top side (I intentionally overlapped the bottom edge, so I will weld that from below as well), and the passenger side lined up and ready to weld tomorrow before work. 

The last image is "just because"...  I sometimes find myself thinking how, yes.... it is that freakin' short.  One can't help but smile.  :)

Offline certdubtech

• In the Garage...

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2015, 08:45:02 AM »
Both pans are now shortened, just finishing up the welding of the underside for the overlapping joints...

Coming along right nicely.  Just a couple things to finish up repair wise to the tunnel, then the pans will go back in for good, and it's on to the re-finishing process.  Could this be???  Almost ready for the clean-up and fresh paint???  Why, yes... it can be.  And it shall be...

Offline certdubtech

• In the Garage...

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2015, 08:46:25 AM »
Check the dates on those dimes. If they are 1964 or older they are silver!

No such luck....  They are an '83 and a '74, the year I was born... I guess that's good luck or something.  haha.

Offline volksnick

• Secretary
  • Club Member
  • Chattanooga

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2015, 03:37:31 PM »
You must be busy driving this thing by now! That's the only reason that I can't find any updates!?!?

Offline certdubtech

• In the Garage...

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2015, 03:46:12 PM »
Not yet...  :D

However, I have managed to get the transaxle resealed and back together, and the pans are fully welded together, just need to finish welding them up at the frame tunnel now, then back home she goes for the pan finishing process and sealing up. 

Been a tad busy...  But you don't know what that's like, do ya?  haha..

A little teaser...

Offline certdubtech

• In the Garage...

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2015, 06:46:10 PM »
Well, Crap.

After I responded earlier, I just kept staring at the pan when I rolled it in at the end of the day, and thought to myself, "Self... How long would it really take to finish at least the welding portion so you can get some primer on the pans, and keep the evil rust monster away?"

Evidently, the answer to that question was about an hour and a half...

There, Nick... almost as if you triple dog dared me to get it done.

Pan is now completely welded up.  Shot some primer on the welds.  Now I can finish burning off the surface rust, seal up the seams, and paint the thing.

Photographic proof that I am not fabricating my story...

Well, now.  I feel better already.  I rather enjoy playing around with this little bathtub.

Offline Got Bug ?

• Chattanooga, Tn

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2015, 11:00:21 AM »
That looks great...I have found that it keeps my projects rolling to do something every day, even if it's just one more bang with a hammer, or one more stripped thread. If I don't keep at it I start finding excuses not to do anything at all then days turn into months, and, well I'll stop there...

Offline certdubtech

• In the Garage...

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2015, 09:03:16 AM »
Thanks, man....

And a big cuddly hug thanks for the friendly nudge from from you two. 

The morning update: 

-Pan is primed all over, rust sealant is applied, seams sealed.

All that remains now is to finish priming the sealant, and the coating on the pan.  Truck Bed coating for the top side, and rubber undercoating for the bottom.

Once it's back at home, I do still have to cut an access into the front frame tunnel area to finish the welding up of the clutch tube.  What I thought was a problem  with the trans actually appears to be the fact that the clutch tube had come completely loose, not just the front end like they usually do.  So, you pushed the pedal, and the tube was just moving around in there, not allowing the clutch to fully engage.  I figured that anything I do here won't be really affected too bad by that, and I was more worried about the elements causing the rust to come back if I left it unprotected much longer.  But, once that little repair job is done, it's body mating time.... I'm super excited.

Please tell me making little sputtering motor noises is a normal thing for everyone...

Of course, the obligatory pics:

Offline travisyoung

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2015, 08:29:20 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was an error while liking
Liking...

About Us

Chattanooga's oldest and largest club for air-cooled and water-cooled Volkswagens, since 1998. Join Us

Follow Us

© 1998-2024 Scenic City Volks Folks