Forums

Topic: 1967-69 Faux Manx Buggy Build  (Read 18602 times)

Offline certdubtech

• In the Garage...

1967-69 Faux Manx Buggy Build

« on: October 15, 2015, 08:56:05 AM »
So, it's mighty quiet on the ol' Build thread right now... and it's been especially quiet on my end for quite some time.  So, here's a little narrative to start us out:

Finally got space to start cranking on the bus at home, and this little guy wandered across my path...

The story behind the pan is it's my old '67 Beetle.  The red one, some of you may remember me cruising around in that old pile many years ago... then, due to the rot, I had Baja'd it, and rolled it that way for a year or so... then fixed the structural rot, and sold it to a buddy.  Then while it was waiting to be sold after he had decided he had too many projects, vandals struck, and decided to go bowling down the steep hill behind my work... with large tires and wheels.  The end result was a car that still needed a lot of repair to the rot, only now with what amounted to a battered passenger side... I honestly didn't know what to do, so it sat "For sale" for some time.  I was so disgusted over the whole deal, I just stared at it nearly everyday as the mildew grew darker on the shell...

Then this little guy comes along.  

Ever since my first Manx (yes, it did appear to be an honest to goodness Manx 2), which I sold in a moment of insanity as I had 12,000 other projects at the time, and couldn't devote the time, or space, I have had a strange desire to have another.

I saw the ad on the Samba, and called, but it had already changed hands the night before... I was 12 hours too late.  Then, I am talking with Nick, and he says, "you know who bought that thing, don't you??"... I did... no  sooner had Nick left my house, I was on the phone, and by the next morning, a price had been hammered out, and arrangements had been made to have this guy brought up from Atlanta.

All I know is that it is a very good Manx-type body clone.  It has the battery hole, and the spare tire well behind the driver's side seat.  It still wore it's original factory gorgeous RED gel coat, and sported some rather nicely hand done pin striping courtesy of "The Mad Striper" in Atlanta, who signed it "1969" under his name.  It is bumped, scuffed, scratches here and there, but mostly just oxidized...  No cracks, damage to the structure of the body, and  it has never been drilled for headlights, wipers, or to be put on a pan.  Evidently, it was bought, striped in 1969, and stored in a carport for the last 46 years... waiting on me.  The schedule I keep, I'd say it couldn't have been more perfect timing. Unfortunately, the pan was scrapped by the time the body was rescued, but, remember the beat up, rusted out shell I told you about???  Now you get the picture...

This will be a straight up retro build.  White stock steering wheel, red body, steel wheels.  No piles of chrome, no thumping sound system, no 22" Rims... Just old school cool.  

Being a lover of the patina, I have no desire to paint the shell.. simply buff out the gel coat, and wax it... leavving the scuffs and scratches as they are... And the parts are already coming for it.  I have waited nearly 15 years for the right replacement, and I think I have found it.  Just a little teaser pic:

« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 12:03:32 PM by certdubtech »

Offline certdubtech

• In the Garage...

Re: 1967-69 Faux Manx Buggy Build

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 08:59:43 AM »
Getting a little bit done...

May not look like much, but drilling the first hole in the 46 year old fiberglass was a magical moment.  Especially when you consider that years of use and various ownership roles usually leave three oversized holes everywhere you needed one, and others where you don't know why they are even there... haha.

Anyhoo, got the hole drilled and the column mocked up, right dead on the first time, and it's a whole lot easier to steer now to roll it around.  It may sound silly, but this look, the white stock early steering wheel on a red body... That is a perfect rating on my aesthetic meter.

And the other thing??? 

For the  first time in nearly two decades, I actually removed a set of drop spindles, and installed a set of stock ones.  Don't worry, it's still me.  And, for the record, with the playing I plan to do with this thing, I don't think that a pan-scraper was in order for this build.  Looks more business like now. 

Just gotta get the rear back up in the air now as well.

Speaking of that lovely rear... Now to deal with that awkward 14" overhang of the driveline.... But, with the pile of parts in Big white boxes from The sunny state of California sitting here, that won't be long in coming at all...  ;)

And, since it's me...  Pics, of course...

Offline certdubtech

• In the Garage...

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 03:33:55 PM »
Compared to the rather sizable pile of steel I have waiting on my Westy, this seemed kinda anti-climatic when I unpacked it...

:D

Offline travisyoung

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 10:55:47 PM »

Offline certdubtech

• In the Garage...

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 09:15:56 AM »

Apparently, Travis...  The awesomeness of my new whip has rendered you speechless.... lol.

9:15 a.m. on a Sunday... time to make some noise.  Hope everybody around here is already awake. 

:D

Offline certdubtech

• In the Garage...

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 11:28:37 AM »
Two hours in, and this is how it's going...  Actually, nice and smooth. 

I think the biggest mistake people make when making one of these things is getting in a hurry.   You just  keep a steady pace, measure EVERYTHING about 14 times, and then again once more just to be certain.  Pay attention to what you're about to cut into or off.  The only issue I did discover, and it's a fairly minor one, is that I will have to replace the front frame head prior to doing the chassis shortening, which is kinda opposite of my planned method of attack.  Evidently the advanced rot in the head caused the front to go slightly out of square with the rest of the chassis driving it around on these super smooth Chattanooga roads.  But, that's not really a problem as I had already planned on replacing it due to the rot.  Just gotta make sure I put it on straight.  ;)

Of course, reaching into the pedal assembly opening, into the rather densely packed rat nest that had been built up after years of storage with said pedal cluster removed, in order to guide the clutch cable out... That was a little creepy... 

At least I found a screwdriver that I haven't seen in about 10 years or so... 

Bonus! 

Offline certdubtech

• In the Garage...

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 02:26:49 PM »
Well, that escalated quickly. 

After about 5 hours of work, this is what I was left with...

Still  have a little cleaning up to do around the front frame tunnel so I can weld the new frame head on.  Once that and the front cross-member are on and level / square / correct, then I can shorten the spine prior to shortening and installing the floor pans.  In between time at work, I have started to tear down the rear axles and transaxle assembly.  I can't remember every little quirk, but I do remember a grinding in the 1st to 2nd shift, so now would be the time to deal with the little bronze gear that keeps them from doing that.  Fun times!

Offline volksnick

• Secretary
  • Club Member
  • Chattanooga

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 07:49:50 PM »
Wow! Looks great! You sure know how to take a vehicle and reduce it down to it's simplest form!

I got your message the other day and would have stopped by but with the club campout and everything else going on, I didn't have time to make my way up the mountain. Looks like I would have just slowed you down!

Offline certdubtech

• In the Garage...

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 09:26:04 AM »
No worries, Nick.  Sorry, I didn't wait on ya.  ;)

I've been coming in a bit early every morning and opening up the shop, and working a half hour or so after hours this week to get this part over and done with so I can take it back home. 

For today's update, I have the front frame tunnel area repaired, the frame head and front crossmember on and straight, and she's rolling around...  Sorta...

Next step, the shortening of the chassis spine.  Then, the floor pans once the rest is welded up and aligned.

Told you guys I wasn't gonna waste any time on this mess. 

Offline certdubtech

• In the Garage...

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 08:21:20 AM »
Marked off the area to be cut away on the frame tunnel.  This is the point where this pan will forever say goodbye to being a beetle ever again...  A moment of silence please...

Okay, that's enough.

Tunnel upper section cut out, leaving the base intact to do all the other chore type stuff.  Too busy in there, so I cut out the heater and rear outlet cable guide tubes.  In the process of cutting loose the remaining cable guides  from their welds at the  tunnel so that, when the base is cut away, you simply push the two ends together, and the guides are left poking out the tail end in the air.... But nothing is ever really THAT simple...

Stay tuned.

Offline volksnick

• Secretary
  • Club Member
  • Chattanooga

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 12:30:05 PM »
Cool! I like the idea of spraying a contrasting guide. I like it!

Offline certdubtech

• In the Garage...

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2015, 11:56:33 AM »
Awwwwww yee....

Gaining steam now.  

Pan is cut a total of 14 3/8", pulled together, and properly aligned.  The instructions for floor pan shortening on the Meyers Manx website specify the cross readings from the suspension points be within 1/4"... My pan measures to within 1/16".  That's about as good as it gets.  

Still need to weld up the bottom side, and then install a reinforcement to the seam, and straighten out the little floor edge brackets in the rear corners, but it was good enough to sit the body on, which brought a smile to me on this cold morning.

Tie Straps... they're not just for towing...  ;)

Offline Got Bug ?

• Chattanooga, Tn

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2015, 11:37:44 PM »
You make that look easy ! It does look good, too !

Offline certdubtech

• In the Garage...

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2015, 11:56:38 AM »
You make that look easy ! It does look good, too !

Thanks!

But, no....

It's not easy....  haha.

I don't care how many times I have measured/ cut/ Welded back up on all of my projects, I can't state enough how important the MEASURE step is.  I have, in my early days of working on my own junk, made that mistake and not been patient enough in the earliest step and cut something away I didn't mean to, or "Thought I knew" what to cut away, lopped that off, and realized that there, in the floor, was something that I needed to line up against.  lol.

It's all about learning, and taking the time.  If you don't have patience, you shouldn't own and old car in the first place, and you'd better darned sure not try to cut one up and put it back together.  ;)

Friday I trimmed off the dangling, bent up tubes that were poking out of everywhere to their pre-chopped up chassis lengths.  Once that was done, I welded the ends back up like the factory had done, so it's all nice and tight... Floppy control cables are not a good thing.

As for today's duties, it's all about cleaning up welds made during the shortening process, and making and welding up reinforcement plates.  Words like "could simply break in half" scare the ever-loving excrement out of me, so I am all about the "Over-build" concept on everything I do. 

Already made a plate for the bottom out of the material I cut away, and got it welded up.  Working on the hump and making some gussets for the heater channel controls....  Since they aren't gonna be used anymore, I don't want any extra holes/ slits in the frame...  See my earlier statement....

Back at it now, and note... this step is precisely why you should take care to remove those shortening sections out in one, nice pretty piece, so you have the already shaped pieces you need to do these.  :)

Offline certdubtech

• In the Garage...

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2015, 03:15:28 PM »
And , now the rest of the afternoon... had to cut it short once again, this time because you can't weld with a wire feed welder if you don't have any wire... :/

But, still managed to get a good bit done.  The previously mentioned base plate weld up, and reinforced, the seam ground flat, and the reinforcement made and welded up for the upper tunnel area.  Also, closed up the heater control openings, and cut/ground down the mounting posts.  I was in the process of seam welding the frame head when I ran out of wire.  Kinda overkill, as they were originally only spot welded, but, like I said, I like to be thorough with my structural  soundness.  Now I just need to buy an extra spool of wire so I can avoid this happening again...  ;)

On the up-side, I did make a return on my investment...  A couple dimes fell out of the tunnel today when I was flipping it over.  So, that's something.  :D

There was an error while liking
Liking...

About Us

Chattanooga's oldest and largest club for air-cooled and water-cooled Volkswagens, since 1998. Join Us

Follow Us

© 1998-2024 Scenic City Volks Folks