Forums

Topic: Found on Craigslist/Samba/Wherever  (Read 63418 times)

Offline Smelly_Cat

Re: Found on Craigslist/Samba/Wherever

« Reply #120 on: March 01, 2014, 06:38:07 PM »
http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/pts/4273940550.html
Hey zen this guy wants old water cool vw maybe unload a dasher or two

Offline travisyoung

« Reply #121 on: March 01, 2014, 06:57:46 PM »
That's sal,  probably not gonna get the dasher but maybe he could put a vr6 in it

Offline DieselDoc

• Chickamauga, GA
    • S&P Automotive

« Reply #122 on: March 04, 2014, 12:52:34 PM »
Don't tempt me with that dasher anymore. I have been purposely not thinking about it.

Offline Russ

« Reply #123 on: March 04, 2014, 08:04:23 PM »
I thought it was my Dasher anyways!

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA
  • Liked: 2 times

« Reply #124 on: March 05, 2014, 09:24:20 AM »
I thought it was my Dasher anyways!

Tell me where you want it delivered . . .  ;D

Offline Russ

« Reply #125 on: March 05, 2014, 09:45:57 AM »
Nick's house please

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA
  • Liked: 2 times

« Reply #126 on: March 05, 2014, 10:21:16 AM »
OK!  As soon as I can locate a tow dolly, I'll get it up there!

Offline Russ

« Reply #127 on: March 05, 2014, 11:32:03 AM »
Thanks Zen!

Offline PapaKoch

• Treasurer
  • Club Member
  • East Ridge, TN

« Reply #128 on: March 21, 2014, 02:28:44 AM »
 1982 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia diesel - great shape - spring camper - $7500 (North Chattanooga)

http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/cto/4384510783.html

For sale: Just in time for Spring camping season! -- 1982 diesel Vanagon with the Westfalia camper package; 1.6 liter diesel engine; 4 speed manual transmission; Mercedes wheels; just under 152k miles (and climbing). Excellent three-window tent with zip out canvas and screen (also includes rear hatch screen, etc). Everything works (with a few quirks). Runs and drives well. No major rust. Many new parts as well as included spares. Trailer hitch with a 2" ball. Paint is amateur...acceptable for driving but not a good job. Ridiculous fuel economy!

I bought this camper as a project (non-running) a bit over a year ago and have only taken it camping twice. When I bought it, I was told that it needed a clutch slave cylinder and a little work on the injection system as it had been running well recently. As so many stories go, what I was told was wrong. But I decided to make it right as these diesels are very rare and, at least in my opinion, pretty neat. Since then, I have done a ton of work to make it a reliable family camper, but plans and family have changed. I've also changed jobs and have far less time to camp...and when I do camp, I tend to take my Land Cruiser and do trails as well...needless to say, the Westy has become unnecessary (and is a fourth car), so it is time to say goodbye to this great camper.

So much has been done to this van that it is easiest to list what hasn't: steering rack, axles, transmission and radiator (though the radiator looks like it has been replaced at some time)...yes, there's more, but not much!

All replaced/repaired within the last year (and less than 100 miles -- documented):
•   New tires (with lifetime mount, balance and road hazard warranties)
•   Rebuilt head with all new valves, guides, seals, shims, etc (all new parts except the cam) -- mated to a VW rebuilt block (stamped factory rebuilt) said to have less than 50k on it
•   Rebuilt diesel injection pump (Vanagon correct)
•   New injectors, seals and hard metal lines
•   New head gasket, valve cover gasket and oil pan gasket (pan was clean when removed, with no metal shavings)
•   New cam/valve baffle for increased oiling
•   New timing belt, tensioner and seals (spare included)
•   New glow plugs
•   New front wheel bearings (inner and outer with races on both sides)
•   New brakes all around (spare pads, shoes and wheel cylinders/hardware for rear included with sale)
•   New clutch slave and clutch master cylinders (and brake/clutch fluid)
•   New water pump and thermostat (and antifreeze)
•   New drive belts (multiple spares included)
•   New starter
•   New propane regulator
•   Resealed fuel tank (full GoWesty kit -- the expensive one -- if you know Vanagons, you know this needs to be done on all of them...and this was a job I would not want to do again!)
•   New hatch shocks (to hold the rear hatch open so it won't bonk you in the head!)
•   New proper wheel studs for Mercedes wheels
•   Rebuilt vacuum pump
•   Reworked door locks (all lock/unlock with key now) and sliding door track (opens and closes easily!)
•   New curtains (old, original curtains included)
•   Various lights and headlights, wipers, etc.
•   Cleaned out fuse box and replaced fuses (spare sets included)
•   I know there is more...if it was broken, I was fixing it...only known quirks now are that the turn signals are goofy...sometimes work perfectly, sometimes flash too quickly and that the temp gauge is inconsistent - sometimes works, sometimes not
•   Newer seats from a later model with arm rests and better support

I fell in love with this VW Vanagon and was building a rig that I planned to keep for many years. To that end, I also acquired a number of spares, including a couple of injection pumps, a couple of spare cranks and intermediate shafts, an intact short block (low miles, but had been sitting) which I have pulled apart and was planning to rebuild and stick on a shelf until needed (will include new rod and main bearings as well which I was going to install in this block), various tools, a Bentley manual (over $100 alone), timing and drive belts, visors, mirrors, interior bits, lots of camping accessories, complete spare brake system, tons of gaskets (valve cover, oil pan, head, etc), spare injectors, and who knows what else -- all in all, hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of parts and accessories as well as camping gear -- no warranties as old things get angry without warning, but this van is ready to drive to the site, pop the top and enjoy. In fact, I drove it to the lake today to take pictures and almost didn't come back! ☺

I've spent a good bit of money on this rig and realize that I won't recover my investment, so am looking for a good home.

$7500 cash (not interested in haggling) or interesting trades.

Email through the system or call/text: 4two3 five03 6five88
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 02:33:44 AM by PapaKoch »

Offline travisyoung

« Reply #129 on: March 21, 2014, 06:47:24 AM »
I know this camper,  seems like a good deal

Offline volksnick

• Secretary
  • Club Member
  • Chattanooga

« Reply #130 on: March 21, 2014, 08:58:42 AM »
I saw it and got really excited. Megan said no...

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

« Reply #131 on: March 21, 2014, 10:29:12 AM »
He takes trades!
trade the happy mobile towards it...
KC

Offline volksnick

• Secretary
  • Club Member
  • Chattanooga

« Reply #132 on: March 21, 2014, 10:42:43 AM »
He takes trades!
trade the happy mobile towards it...
KC

Since he is a land cruiser guy, I'd sooner trade my 40 for it, but I don't know how even of a trade that would be...

Offline travisyoung

« Reply #133 on: March 23, 2014, 07:32:02 AM »
You should send him some pictures, you never know

Offline travisyoung

« Reply #134 on: March 23, 2014, 08:24:15 PM »
this would be cool

There was an error while liking
Liking...

About Us

Chattanooga's oldest and largest club for air-cooled and water-cooled Volkswagens, since 1998. Join Us

Follow Us

© 1998-2024 Scenic City Volks Folks