Forums

Topic: 2010 Kia Soul - Won't Idle after Fill Up  (Read 4496 times)

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA
  • Liked: 2 times

2010 Kia Soul - Won't Idle after Fill Up

« on: May 23, 2015, 02:02:34 AM »
Joy's 2010 Kia Soul has developed a weird problem.  It did it once several months ago, then again several weeks ago, then after the last three fill ups.

It runs fine.  Stop and fill up . . . then it won't start unless you hold the gas pedal down a little.  Once it starts, it won't idle for about 30 seconds to a minute . . . then it's fine until the next fill up.

I've searched the internet and the closest thing I've found was a discussion about a somewhat similar problem with a 2006 Kia Rio.  The solution to that problem was replacing a purge valve for the fuel canister.

Thoughts?  Ideas?  Wild guesses? 

Offline travisyoung

Re: 2010 Kia Soul - Won't Idle after Fill Up

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 06:55:25 AM »
you are right on the money, if the purge valve is stuck open it let raw gas fumes in the intake and makes it hard to start, also check the charcoal canister to make sure it is not full of raw gas. be sure you don't try to get that extra gallon in after the pump cut off stops, i don't fill up the whole tank very often. my guess is if you check the faults you have a large evap leak and intermittent rich codes

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA
  • Liked: 2 times

Re: 2010 Kia Soul - Won't Idle after Fill Up

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 09:02:51 AM »
my guess is if you check the faults you have a large evap leak and intermittent rich codes

Thanks Travis!

I'll swing by Autozone my next trip out and get them to check the codes.  My CEL came on the first time it did this, then went out a couple of days later.  When it did it a few days ago, the CEL light came on again and once again went out a couple of days later.  When it started doing it every time, the CEL came on and stayed on.

The purge valve is 50 bucks and looks like one double wire plug and two vacuum hoses.  Famous last words, but if that's it, it should be an easy fix.  This is the first "trouble" we've had with it.

There was an error while liking
Liking...

About Us

Chattanooga's oldest and largest club for air-cooled and water-cooled Volkswagens, since 1998. Join Us

Follow Us

© 1998-2024 Scenic City Volks Folks