Forums

Topic: Older style fenders & bumpers on a 1970 VW  (Read 1768 times)

Offline Bob Turner

Older style fenders & bumpers on a 1970 VW

« on: March 10, 2017, 08:55:51 PM »
I have a 1970 Bug and would love to put old style Fenders and Bumper on the front. Don't want to butcher up the fenders that I have there in nice shape they came on the car when I got it. They give me a old style bumper just don't how to put it on. Any help would be GREAT

Offline Bob Turner

Re: Older style fenders & bumpers on a 1970 VW

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 02:09:05 PM »
Guess no one has done this before

Offline volksnick

• Secretary
  • Club Member
  • Chattanooga

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 04:39:09 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, the fender will bolt right on. The headlights are specific for the early fenders, so you'll need those too. The hardest part is getting the bumpers right. Early bumpers bolt on through the apron and later ones go through the fenders. You'll have to come up with an option for that since you'll be eliminating both fender mount holes.

Maybe swap the apron too!?

Offline Brunnswick

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 03:50:05 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, the fender will bolt right on. The headlights are specific for the early fenders, so you'll need those too. The hardest part is getting the bumpers right. Early bumpers bolt on through the apron and later ones go through the fenders. You'll have to come up with an option for that since you'll be eliminating both fender mount holes.

Maybe swap the apron too!?

Any update to this? I'd love to hear what you did.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 12:30:09 PM by Brunnswick »

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA
  • Liked: 2 times

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 12:20:57 PM »
I haven't been on the forums much the past few months and just saw this . . . If I'm not mistaken, there are some brackets available somewhere that bolt on the stock position on the late Beetles, but loop down under the fenders and back up so no cutting or welding is needed to put old style bumpers on late Beetles.  I have no idea where to get them, but they are out there somewhere . . . I've seen more than one pair of them.

There was an error while liking
Liking...

About Us

Chattanooga's oldest and largest club for air-cooled and water-cooled Volkswagens, since 1998. Join Us

Follow Us

© 1998-2024 Scenic City Volks Folks