Forums

Topic: Help with Slow Starter  (Read 224444 times)

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #735 on: July 31, 2008, 11:04:21 PM »
That must be one heck of a magnet to pick up magnesium!!! :shock:
Any way, I know what you mean, I have the magnet from a small speaker around the drain plug on my AE engine.  I was told that my AE and all "A" engines had case savers aeady installed.  If your engine already has case savers in it will the oversized tapping head bolt actually work?
any way let me know because I might have to do that one day...
Hopefully not with ASBUG's current engine.
Good luck,
KC

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA
  • Liked: 2 times

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #736 on: August 01, 2008, 07:15:49 AM »
Quote from: "ASBug"
How does he keep all those little metal filings from becomming lodged in the bearings? - flush with kerosene? after install? Just curious....
KC

I'm 99.9% sure that the head bolt threads in the case are blind holes . . . they don't through to the inside.  I could be wrong . . . have been before and probably will be again, but I think that's right.  Maybe.

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #737 on: August 01, 2008, 08:43:19 AM »
Quote from: "67bugnut"
It seems stupie is due a visit to the Godfather again. :lol: If it already had case savers and thats not working then you may be coming to the end of your rope so to speak on that case. :cry:

Has it ever been to the godfather's place?
KC

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #738 on: August 01, 2008, 01:03:15 PM »
The godfather "laid hands" on Stupie at Mud-A-Paluza (Bug-A-Paluza 8) . . . after it cooled for several hours.  He was running a "little" warm when it arrived.  It was running cool and purring like a kitten when it left!  I think SC even got to shift out of second gear on the way back to the triangle.   :lol:

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #739 on: August 01, 2008, 01:44:24 PM »
Not all the holes in the case are blind. I forgot how many.  The o.s. studs are called Super Studs and they will work for 10 min. to 10 years.
     NO you can't use a Super Stud in a case that has case savers.  I haven't seen a factory case saver pull out. The factory case saver used the 8mm stud , and you have to lay the leather to it to do any damage.  The stud would break off before it would pull out.   18 ftpd torque Children. No more ,no less.  The super stud (25 ftpds) works only on the older cases that did not come with case savers.  If the case had had the older case saver installed and it pulled out you are just about  S.O.L.
     If the Super Stud pulled out of a case that did'nt have case savers, you could install the older ,larger  case saver we all loved. You would have to remove the piston/cyl. to this .  I would put a rag with grease on into the case , on the hole that I am going to drill/ tap. I put grease on the drill bit also and even with that , you are going to get some aluminum inside. On ocasion I have seen  engines lock up on the bearings when some of shavings got in there.
        There is really no excuse for a pulled stud anyway if the engine was mantained correctly.  Very high heat from wrong Ing. timing , cooling tin missing ETC,ETC. is the biggest culprit Children.
          I can install caser savers , But the engine would have to be totaly
 apart for me to mess with it.  Just covering my Butt :lol:  :lol:

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #740 on: August 01, 2008, 05:46:43 PM »
I dont think them   studs  are pulling out.  I think the are twisting out from  the engine wiggling around.  Does that make a difference?,  I have about 20 lbs on them since I was not sure if  I should use 18 or 23lbs  

What I need is a couple of  big C clamp to go around the engine to hold the heads on.   SC

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #741 on: August 02, 2008, 12:59:15 AM »
You probably don't want to hear this, but you need to pull Stupie's engine.

You need to take all the tin off to get to the top bolts and retorque all of them.  Do you have 8mm studs or 10mm studs?  If they are 8mm, 20 pounds is too much.  If they are 10mm, 20 pounds isn't enough.

Don't know how to tell the size?  Stick a gage on them.  Before you say you don't have one, yes you do.  At least you should if you are working on a bug.  Your 8mm gage is an opened end wrench with an 8 stamped on it.  funny thing about metric wrenches . . . the ones 8 stamped on the have an opening across the open end that is just about 8mm.  The one with 10 stamped on it, guess what? . . . Yep, it's about 10mm across.  Now if your wrenches were made of inferior Chineese metal, that might not always be true, but it works most of the time.

Anyway, if you're having trouble with the lower studs backing out, I'd bet the top ones are loose.

Offline Bugnut

• padded cell.

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #742 on: August 02, 2008, 11:52:36 AM »
Sounds like stupies headed for trouble,well at least the starter works. :lol:

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #743 on: August 10, 2008, 01:18:36 PM »
I see that I have 10 mm studs, Thanks Zen,   .  I need to get real small wrenchs so I can gauge my plugs.   10mm,   I can torque them to 23 lbs.  I've never torque them that high.  I'll give it a another  twirl.   SC

Offline Jason

• Ringgold Ga

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #744 on: March 11, 2009, 08:47:07 PM »
Well how is stupie doing?

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #745 on: March 14, 2009, 07:49:37 PM »
Stupie is Fine.  Got a new to Stupie gas tank.  Someone said JP weld is not OEM tank repair. Plus it was getting mushy and my gas turned grey.  I've installed a slot car track in the back.  Its alot of fun but the cars fall behind the battery when they dont make the S turn before the loop de loop.  For some reason the brake lights quit  and I have a short when I use the left blinker.   Other wise ready for Bugapleaselooseya.
SC

Offline lonnie1952

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #746 on: March 18, 2009, 09:57:56 PM »
I had the same problem with My Super Beetle.  Took a Page from the 350 chevy with headers book. I made a "Hot Start" kit and istalled it.
The starter turned faster than when it was new. Never had a problem again  :D

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #747 on: August 14, 2009, 08:37:01 AM »
Bump . . .

Sorry.  It had been nearly 5 months since the last post on this thread.  I should have let it rest in peace . . . but where's the fun in that?   :lol:  :lol:

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #748 on: August 14, 2009, 12:20:38 PM »
This Topic is truly a must read for the newbee's on the sight.  After digesting the 50+ pages, they will understand all the put downs and cut ups that this group is capable of.  Oh yeah, there is also some usefull information in this thread too...
KC :lol:

Offline virgo062

• Rossville GA

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #749 on: August 14, 2009, 02:37:28 PM »
I went back and read the entire story of the slow starter well not all of it because a lot of it was boring the only part I really understood was Stupie humping SC's leg because he was lonely :lol: The rest of is was way over my head :

There was an error while liking
Liking...

About Us

Chattanooga's oldest and largest club for air-cooled and water-cooled Volkswagens, since 1998. Join Us

Follow Us

© 1998-2024 Scenic City Volks Folks