Forums

Topic: Help with Slow Starter  (Read 224449 times)

Offline Smelly_Cat

Ball joints, are two funny words

« Reply #720 on: April 14, 2008, 05:38:08 PM »
Still shaky after putting on one tie rod end and the inner tube did not work well.

I wrapped a leather glove around my ball joint and then some nylon ties to

hold it tight....  That sentence made me laugh

It looks like they got ball joints online for 30 bucks.  

Is a ball joint something I can do with a ratchet set and a beer or 3?

SC

Offline Bugnut

• padded cell.

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #721 on: June 11, 2008, 12:47:14 AM »
So hows the starter?????? Its a shame for this thread to die. Isnt it your sworn duty to keep this thing alive??? Get to work man! :lol:

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #722 on: June 27, 2008, 05:34:25 AM »
Trumpets sound   da da dadataataaaa  Page 50

Part of Stupie's allure has always been the  smell of petrol.  But I grow tired of hangin the fire extinquisher   from the rear view mirror.

I got a gas tank,  Made in Germaniia,  But i've been  too lazy to put it in.
Now that Stupe is running so bad,  I say maybe its the 8 parts fuel 1 part rust and 2 parts JP weld clogging up my jets.

The tank is for  a fuel injected Super. It has a line going out and a 2nd line goin in.

Whats the best way to close up  that second line?.   I was gonna jam the last of my JP weld in there but evidently that is not up to code. SC

Offline Russ

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #723 on: June 27, 2008, 08:55:58 AM »
The second line going in is for unused fuel to return to the tank after it passes through the fuel rail. I have the same deal in my bus, and when Richard put the carb on there after taking out the fuel injection it looks like he just jammed an allen bolt in the return fuel line and clamped it down. That was kind of unsettling to me to find that.

Offline Smelly_Cat

loose head bolts

« Reply #724 on: July 28, 2008, 06:44:09 PM »
When I sold my Toyota Van,  I kept the battery,  But then Frank said he needed one,  Today , I got my battery back from Frank.  dropped in to Stupie,  Boy ,  does stupie run bad.  I pulled the valve covers off and the rockers and the head bolts are loose again.  Am I wearing out the case by retiightening these over an over again?
Is it  hard to but case saver bolts in?  Or is it just  
 take out a loose one,  put in a new one?

SC

Offline Bugnut

• padded cell.

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #725 on: July 28, 2008, 07:20:05 PM »
It seems stupie is due a visit to the Godfather again. :lol: If it already had case savers and thats not working then you may be coming to the end of your rope so to speak on that case. :cry:

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #726 on: July 28, 2008, 08:40:46 PM »
how can I tell if I already have case savers

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA
  • Liked: 2 times

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #727 on: July 28, 2008, 09:34:33 PM »
Quote from: "Smelly_Cat"
how can I tell if I already have case savers

Case savers are inserts.  The stud holes are drilled out bigger and then tapped for the outside threads of the case savers.  The head studs then screw into the case savers.  Look at the case where the studs go in the block.  If you have case savers, you'll see them.

Offline Bugnut

• padded cell.

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #728 on: July 28, 2008, 10:38:45 PM »
If you dont you may be lucky and can put them in to stop that problem ya had, If ya have em and it still doing them it would be time to go see the Godfather for some prayers.

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #729 on: July 28, 2008, 11:08:53 PM »
I had a couple of studs pulling out the case (no case savers) on my baja a few years ago.  A friend of mine that worked (or at least hung out a lot) at Tim's VW in Austell, GA brought me a couple of oversized self-tapping studs.  I pulled the old studs out, double-nutted the self tapping ones and screwed them in.  They outlasted the rest of the engine and then got transfered to another block I had with the same problem.  They are still holding in that one.  I don't know where you might find the self-tapping, oversized studs . . . they would be cheaper, quicker, and easier than case savers and they MIGHT work . . . but with all that said, case savers are a better option.   :wink:

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #730 on: July 30, 2008, 05:14:02 PM »
Wow .  Im still confused,   What i see is threaded rods with a nut on the end.
I have not seen oversized head bolts for sale anywhere,  lots of casesavers but it looks like I have to tear it down to put them in.

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #731 on: July 30, 2008, 05:23:14 PM »
I was searching for bolts instead of studs.  

SELF TAPPING CASE STUDS,1500-1600CC, LOWER, 9 3/8"(240MM)EACH   $5.75

Wow 6 bucks each. Should I wait till I strip the case holes or would it be best to stick these buggers in first?  I seem like I can torqe the studs but the wiggle out.  Do I put lock tight on the ends before I  put them in?   SC

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #732 on: July 30, 2008, 08:55:15 PM »
Should I wait till I strip the case holes or would it be best to stick these buggers in first?

The more metal in the hole, the better.  Plus the longer you run with the heads loose (the result of the stud pulling out of the case), the more likely your head will be damaged.

Do I put lock tight on the ends before I  put them in?

I wouldn't . . . there may come a day when you want to take the stud out of the block . . . like maybe if the stud breaks or you decide to tear it down and fix it right with case savers.  Head studs usually don't turn themselves back out . . . when they back out, they are usually pulling straight out and bringing the threads of the case with them.  Loctite won't help that.

Offline ASBug

• Varnel, Ga

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #733 on: July 31, 2008, 12:43:27 PM »
How does he keep all those little metal filings from becomming lodged in the bearings? - flush with kerosene? after install? Just curious....
KC

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #734 on: July 31, 2008, 09:00:40 PM »
Magnetic oil plugs catch it all ...baby,,,,sc

There was an error while liking
Liking...

About Us

Chattanooga's oldest and largest club for air-cooled and water-cooled Volkswagens, since 1998. Join Us

Follow Us

© 1998-2024 Scenic City Volks Folks