Forums

Topic: Help with Slow Starter  (Read 224452 times)

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #705 on: September 27, 2007, 06:38:43 AM »
I got this anti shimmy bushing for the sterring.  30 bucks for the parts 10 to ship.   I got it pressed in at our shop at work  but it does not seat flush.  did I install it right .  it is Diff from the stock one.  Do I need to pound it, or file it.  SC

Offline Smelly_Cat

Shimmy Bushing

« Reply #706 on: September 28, 2007, 01:02:09 PM »
Well I got a reply from CIP!     I can't get nothin right.   SC

" you have indeed installed the bushing upside down. The bushing should be pressed in from the bottom up and the flange should be on the bottom of the idler are. No need for pictures as I think this should solve you issue. If this does not wok or you simply have more questions, phow to install super beetle anti shimmy bushing > Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 11:43:29 -0500 > > Hello Mike. Unfortunatelylease feel free to let me know. Thank you. > > Kris K. - CIP1.com > California Import Parts Ltd. - http://www.cip1.com > >

I can't get nothin right.   SC

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #707 on: September 28, 2007, 01:55:01 PM »
Well duh !!   If you had been standing on your head like you normaly are instead of your feet it would have been clear.  Do you know if you pronounced Stupies name backwards, it would be E-PUTTS :lol:

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #708 on: October 01, 2007, 07:41:20 PM »
I got the bushing re pressed.  Snug like a bug now.  It got dark today and I started sneezing so  Lift of will be Tuesday  730am.   Wow faster than a speeding locomtive.  that is if a train only goes 45 mph,  maybe a 1850  locomotive?  sc

Offline Smelly_Cat

anti-shimmy bushing

« Reply #709 on: October 02, 2007, 05:48:55 PM »
The good news is I got up to light speed on hwy 27.  that is 55 mph.  I still got a good bit of shake but the wheel does not rip out of hands any more.
Over all I would say this..  I expected better improvement for 40 bucks .  

I need to find a tire store with  a tire rounder machine and sculpture  my egg shaped tires round.   I thinksc

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #710 on: October 05, 2007, 07:44:11 PM »
I hate my brakes,  My back rear had a clogged nipple so .  blew it clear.  put on the inner Tube pressure bleed and did the whole bug.  DrIVE to town feeling proud.   had like half a pedal of brake .  pretty good for Stupie.   By the time i got home it was back to crappy almost to the floor.   Maybe these 28 buck mexy master brake cyl's don't last.  Any thought s?  SSC

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA
  • Liked: 2 times

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #711 on: October 06, 2007, 07:25:01 PM »
Quote from: "Smelly_Cat"
Maybe these 28 buck mexy master brake cyl's don't last.  Any thought s?  SSC

Yeah, I've got some thoughts . . . I think you're learning!  The last few "cheap" master cylinders I've put on seem to have a life expectancy of about 2 years.  The problem is they have been sitting on a shelf somewhere for 3 years.  Homer the SuperBus uses a stuper beetle master cylinder (Long story . . . I didn't do it but it works, so I ain't messing with it).  The one that was on it when I got it was put on used by a previous owner.  It lasted him a few months, the next owner over 4 years and went bad on me after about 4 more years.  I've put two new ones on it since then.  I think I'll go to a junk yard and pull out a 30 year old original the next time I need one.

Offline Smelly_Cat

anti shimmy

« Reply #712 on: October 08, 2007, 06:50:54 PM »
Ok Its shimmy time!,  I replaced the steering damper shock absorber thing ,  and got the 40 buck brass anti shimmy bushing.  what else do  need to replace?.   I still shimmy like ,I'm not sure what simile  to use.   I think if you wrote  anti shimmy on a used toaster ,  I would buy it.

I also need simile's for shimmy!

SC

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #713 on: October 09, 2007, 08:37:52 AM »
Well, You have just got started.    
       1- front struts/ball joints
       2- tire balance/ tires, even tire pressures
       3- alignment( critical)
       4- steering sector/adjustment
       5- double jointed shaft from steering shaft to sector(2 u-joints)
       6- all tie rods ends , drag link
  I don't know what you have checked already, but any one of these items can cause big time shimmy.  Supers have a nasty habit of spreading the pain around.  You can have one item wear out and if you don't correct it , the shimmy will shake everything else to death over a period of time then you just about have to replace everything that moves up front. Its hard to just replace one thing at a time. When you get around to fixing the other stuff, the first thing you replaced 6 months ago has already destroyed itselve again from the shaking. :(
     Soooooooooo ?

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #714 on: October 11, 2007, 08:21:30 PM »
Quote from: "Ret.Bugtech"

2- tire balance/ tires, even tire pressures

Not only do the tires have to be balanced and have even pressures, they have to be PERFECTLY ROUND wheels.  You can ballance and egg where it will spin in perfect ballance . . . but it's still gonn'a roll like an egg.

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #715 on: October 21, 2007, 02:03:53 PM »
I got a new to me gas tank and I took the fuel sender unit out put it in Stupie.  i don't have any power to my instrument cluster. the lights don't light when the head lights are on.  Does the cluster have juice to the fuel gauge some how.  i can't figure it out.  sc

Offline Bugnut

• padded cell.

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #716 on: October 22, 2007, 12:22:13 AM »
eh suspension is over rated anyhows. Just chop it all out. :lol:

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #717 on: October 22, 2007, 08:21:47 AM »
S.C .     You need to get a wiring diagram for your speedo and fuel guage.  DO NOT hook your fuel tank unit to straight 12 V or it will fry it.
       Your speedo wiring needs to be CORRECT so you don"t ruin your fuel guage in the speedo . I don't know what kind of mess you have on back of your speedo so you are on your own.

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #718 on: October 22, 2007, 08:08:25 PM »
If you don't have an old Bentley Manual with a colored wiring diagram for Stupie, never fear . . . the internet is here.  Go to http://www.type2.com . . . on the side, scroll down to the link to the Library and click on it.  At the top of that page, click on the link to "Electrical (Primary)" . . . scroll down to the Bug section and then through the years.  There are seveal that show the wiring you need.  The best one for you is the one for a 1971 "1302" USA.  It's in German . . . but all the wires are color coded to match the original wires and you should be able to figure out most of what the items are (the light bulbs look like light bulbs, etc.).  There is another one for a 1971 Super Beetle, but it's not an official VW diagram . . . it isn't quite as clear and accurate.  Anyway . . . if you have most of the original wires still under the hood, this should help.  It's kind'a like playing connect the dots . . . only stuff sparks and melts when you mess up . . . so take your time and be careful . . . and keep a fire extingusher handy.  Make sure it rated for type C fires.  Keep a bag of marshmellows handy just in case the fire extingusher runs out before the fire goes out.  Good luck!    :wink:

Offline Smelly_Cat

tie rods

« Reply #719 on: December 27, 2007, 12:02:49 PM »
I've had it with this shaking steering wheel.  I wonder if jack hammer gloves would increase my driving enjoyment.
I decided  to wrap innertube around my loose tie rod.  Then hold it tight with nylon ties.   Stay yuned

There was an error while liking
Liking...

About Us

Chattanooga's oldest and largest club for air-cooled and water-cooled Volkswagens, since 1998. Join Us

Follow Us

© 1998-2024 Scenic City Volks Folks