Forums

Topic: Help with Slow Starter  (Read 224453 times)

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #690 on: August 11, 2007, 05:48:35 AM »
Zen is this what i need.

http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=113-415-441

Can I do his myself or does it take presses and jack hammers and skilll

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA
  • Liked: 2 times

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #691 on: August 11, 2007, 08:19:30 AM »
Yep.  That would be the bushing.  If you have a hydraulic press and bushing drivers, you many want to use them, but you can do it without any special tools or skills . . . well, at least without any special tools.  Take the idler arm off, pull the bracket off the car, knock the old busing out and drive the new one in.  Use a rubber or plastic hammer if have one.  If you don't have one, buy one.  They come in handy.  OK, you can use a small ball peen hammer or a 3 pound sledge hammer if it's all you have . . . just be real careful not to deform the bushing . . . or you hand.  :wink:  I'd go with the brass or bronze bushing.  The stock style rubber bushing is a little cheaper and maybe a little easier to install, but they don't hold up well.  If you don't want to deal with driving the bushing in the bracket, they sell the bracket with a bronze bushing already installed . . . but I'm too cheap to pay someone 60 bucks to drive $20 bushing in a bracket.  Of course, it you mess up three or four of them trying to drive them in, that might be a good alternitive.

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #692 on: August 11, 2007, 11:47:45 AM »
Zen,  It looks like th stock bushing is 9 bucks and the brass one is 30.  So for ease and Price.  Got Stock go.   I'm gonna see if I can take the existing one off and wrap Innertube rubber in it  

Rear brakes. Both front binders were rusted stuck. Sprayed  liquid wrench and then put grease on the threads.  Now the turn like butter.   It looked like one side of the  rear brake cyl is leaking a bit.  It was jacked sideways and stuck..  I think I had the E brake cable to tight and it was making the wheel cyl extend all the way out .  I kind of cleaned it and but it back in.  Since the brake shoe pad was ruined.  I sort of wiped everything everything down and
put it back together. .I'll see what happens.  next time I order some vw stuff I get a wheel cyl and some pads.
  SC

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #693 on: August 12, 2007, 12:57:39 AM »
Need brake parts?  Here's a neat site for cheap parts if they have what you're looking for:

http://www.ufixitautoparts.com

They carry a lot of brake parts.  Cheap.  Like 90% off retail on most of their items.  I bought a fuel pump for an 88 Mercury Tracer from them for less than $35 with tax and shipping (they are in Atlanta, so I had to pay 7% tax . . . if they ship it out of GA, you don't have to pay tax).  The cheapest I could find the pump locally was $127 plus tax and to get them to honor the one year warranty, I had to buy a new $17 filter screen for it.  Their $35 one came with a new screen.  So $127 +$17 + 10 bucks for tax . . . that's $154 isn't it?  $35 sounds a lot better to me . . . especially since I bought an engine from Pull-A-Part for $107.71.  I'd really hate to have almost $50 more tied up in the fuel pump than in the engine!

If you buy $45 worth from ufixitautoparts.com and use promotional code 599874 and check out before 11:59 PM on August 15th, you get free shipping too.   8)

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #694 on: August 12, 2007, 01:06:11 AM »
Quote from: "Smelly_Cat"
Zen,  It looks like th stock bushing is 9 bucks and the brass one is 30.

The one you need is 19 bucks.  The 9 buck one is for the later supers and won't work on your 71.  Even if the 9 buck part would fit, I wouldn't bother buying one . . . they come half worn out and the other have will be gone within a month.

I think this link will take to the right one.  If not, go to the link you posted earlier and look for the bushing labled VWC-113-415-441 - IDLER ARM BUSHING - STOCK RUBBER STYLE REPLACEMENT - SUPER BEETLE 71-72 - THUR CHASSIS #1122575326
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D113%2D415%2D441

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #695 on: August 12, 2007, 01:24:47 AM »
Quote from: "Talking about www.pullapart.com, VWGirl"
i got some parts from there when i blew my headgasket in atlanta a few years ago... was a really nice place, i think there is one on the north side and one on the south?

Yep, there are two near Atlanta, and also one in Birmingham, Nashville, Knoxville, Augusta, Louisville, KY, and Charlotte, NC.  There are several more of them under construction around the Gulf Coast (I bet there are lots of flooded cars to junk out in that region) and a few up north.  They buy junk cars, drain the fluids, set 'em up on 4 "jack stands" (one steel wheel lying flat with another one standing up inside it welded together) and let the public "have at 'em."  After they have set there for a few months, they crush whatever is left.  You can take any tools you want in with you except a jack or torch.  You pay for what you walk out the door with.  A 4 cylinder engine is $107.71 with a $20 core charge.  If you want 30 day no-questions-asked warranty, it's another $30.  Doesn't matter if the engine is from a 1929 Model A or a mid-70's Pinto or a 2005 BMW . . . all their 4 cylinder engines are the same price - $107.71

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #696 on: August 12, 2007, 08:31:18 AM »
I went for a drive and Stupie stopped well. Not on a dime ,  more like in the general area I was hoping for .    I have a bit of sponge pedal but i'll tackle that latter. maybe the leaky cyl will expunge the air.   In the past I heard  wacky scrappy sounds when I would be reversing and applied the pedal .  Happy me..

Decided to see what the steerring  bushing was and took  out the axle thing that goes to the lever.  Then  sprayed armorall on the rubber hoping it would rejuvenate.  but that did not work work too well.  Then  tryed shoving inner tube rubber in there.  but the tolerence was too tight.  Then  got some teflon tape for water pipes and wrapped it around the metal axel thing and snugged it in there.

Steering is much tighter now,   I was doing the shimmy at 42 mph now  I can go 48 mph before I get the chitterbug .    Victory is Mine..  sort of.. SC

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #697 on: August 28, 2007, 07:04:02 AM »
I as driving down 27 last week and when some knuckle head in a brand new JAG decided to stop in the middle of the road to let a grandma out from Wendys.   I did not expect that.   PANIC stop!!!!!   Stupie nose dived, then the left front locked up and I was headed in to on coming traffic. Pants check... Dry... Whew!@... i was going only 35.  What the heck?  Saturday i try to bleed the back brakes.  I fergot to do that the previous week when I did all the rear brake work.  Is this true. the brake pedal does not go to the floor when i bleed the back brakes.  At least stupie did'nt.  Just a little fluid dripped out,  not like the gusher i get when i bleed the fronts.  Wierd,  SC

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #698 on: August 28, 2007, 10:19:08 AM »
It could be that the rear stage of the master is /has gone south.  Did you not replace the master cly awhile back ?   No your pedal will not go to the floor if the front stage is bled and works. This the reason you have a duel circuit master cly. You won't loose ALL of your brakes at the same time.
     Its possible you just haven't bled all the air from the rears or the adjustment is way off. They can be a bugger sometimes. Do you have a little free-play between the pedal and the master cly ?  If not this can cause the rear stage to not take on fluid when you let up on the pedal.
    Just a few things to check.
    I'm assuming that all flex hoses and hard lines are OK

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #699 on: August 28, 2007, 10:26:40 AM »
I just remembered that you had a problem with a rear brake cly. Fell apart or something and you scraped it together ?   Maybe this is part of your problem. Cly may be taking on air or leaking or stuck. I for the sake of me can not see it from here. :lol:

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #700 on: August 28, 2007, 05:49:49 PM »
Thx Bugtech,  

Let me see I got this .  Are these statment true?

When I bleed the fronts the pedal goes to the floor

When I bleed the backs the pedal does not go to the floor.

its OK?

I have put 2 master Cly in.  But it was a 28 dollar one.  I think the pipes are good I have replaced lots of it..  all the rubber hose  for sure  
I can hear the backs opening and closing when I sit inside and pump.

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #701 on: August 29, 2007, 08:07:31 AM »
If you bleed the brakes the way VW told us to (as per shop bull.)
     Rt front, left front, Rt. rear, left rear,  you would be correct. You can bleed them anyway you want to but it sometimes takes forever. :whistle:

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #702 on: August 29, 2007, 09:11:53 PM »
Quote from: "Ret.Bugtech"
You can bleed them anyway you want to but it sometimes takes forever. :whistle:

Two words . . . PRESSURE BLEED.  Done.  No air in the system.  Quick.  Easy.  So easy, someone from the triangle can do it.   8)   I think the directions for making a triangle pressure bleeder are buried somewhere in the pages of this post.  But with over 700 replies on nearly 50 pages, I'm too lazy to even think about looking for them.   :lol:

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #703 on: September 02, 2007, 01:11:27 PM »
Zen i did the pressure bleed.  You can be proud..   i got an old innertube from a road bike,  real skinny tire   cut it.  tied a knot  on one side.  then  fitted the cut end over the top filler for the brake fluid..  Attached a hand tire pump to the tub valve.  

Findings:  the Rear Right back did not work this way for some reason.  I think I have a problem. Maybe a pinched line or something  It only dribbles when I pump the pedal

the left one sent  constant stream into my clear peanut butter jar like i expected..

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #704 on: September 02, 2007, 09:28:15 PM »
Quote from: "Smelly_Cat"
Findings:  the Rear Right back did not work this way for some reason.  I think I have a problem. Maybe a pinched line or something  It only dribbles when I pump the pedal

the left one sent  constant stream into my clear peanut butter jar like i expected..

Replace both your rear hoses.  If you haven't already, you might need to replace the hard line that runs through the car to the back.

There was an error while liking
Liking...

About Us

Chattanooga's oldest and largest club for air-cooled and water-cooled Volkswagens, since 1998. Join Us

Follow Us

© 1998-2024 Scenic City Volks Folks