Forums

Topic: Help with Slow Starter  (Read 224464 times)

Offline Bugnut

• padded cell.

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #630 on: October 04, 2006, 10:31:19 PM »
It's not SUPPOSED to mark it's territory? How does it know where to park? Dang now I'm more confussed. I thought it had self changing oil or somethin.

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #631 on: October 10, 2006, 07:26:09 PM »
I.m back.  went to Fla for a few days.  its nice in the spring and fall.

Marking my parking space.  I'll take a picture of were I park and post it.  I'm embarassed by it.   My oil light was flickering lastweek and I was a quart low.   I have an old cookie baking tray I am going to hang under the engine as a litter box for the oil.   SC

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #632 on: October 11, 2006, 10:19:38 AM »
How clever !    Just think, If you can keep most of the dirt, rocks and small children out of your "catch" pan you could pour the oil right back in and psychologically think you were changing the oil for free and also what oil vapors that blew out of your pan would undercoat the bottom of the car. Wa-la !!   No rust.  I don't know why I didn't of that :roll:

Offline Jason

• Ringgold Ga

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #633 on: October 11, 2006, 01:15:29 PM »
I was thinking that he could just light the oil in the pan to warm the motor on those cold winter mornings :lol:

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA
  • Liked: 2 times

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #634 on: October 12, 2006, 05:53:36 PM »
Quote from: "Jason"
I was thinking that he could just light the oil in the pan to warm the motor on those cold winter mornings :lol:

:-k  Oil does burn slower than gas.  I've tried it with gas before.  Gets a wee bit too hot.   :lol:

65dunebuggy

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #635 on: October 13, 2006, 12:34:28 AM »
I have tried about everything to keep from a small drip.I just don't think it can be done.I thought I had done it one time but by the time I drove it 50 miles it started again.It's not but a little drip on mine but just can't make it stop.New gasket's ,new B. wires,a little gasket sealer.Everything. :-x

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #636 on: October 21, 2006, 02:22:52 PM »
brr getting cold.  so I decided to put that brass coil back under stupie's pistons so the air vains open and close when its cold/.  I even put all the tin pieces under there.  Cool huh?   It sure don't seem like that brass coil does much.  I don't even think it shrinks up untill its 20 below zero.  At what temp is that coil suposed to close the vents?  SC

65dunebuggy

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #637 on: October 21, 2006, 03:30:19 PM »
lol Zen.Would seem so.

65dunebuggy

Thanks Herb and Russ

« Reply #638 on: October 21, 2006, 03:32:02 PM »
Thanks Herb for getting the ball rolling to get my problem fixed with my email.Thanks Russ. You the man!!!

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #639 on: October 26, 2006, 06:07:32 PM »
Back to oil squirts  .  Could my engine be generating too much internal pressure and this is making oil squirt out its orfice's?  its only about a quart every 200 miles.    Is there a pressure relief valve of something that may need a look at? By the way,  The oil light comes on when the dipstick is about at half way in the full range.  not below the low mark, does that sound right?    Do VW's hold only 3 quarts?  IS that enough questions?  Have you seen my keys anywhere? SC

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #640 on: October 27, 2006, 01:50:13 AM »
I take it that all the linkage and flaps are still in the fan housing and the bar with spring reaches across the housing to #3-4 side and was free to move before you put the brass coil thingy ( thermostat) back on. If the thermostat stays collapsed ( about 2") after the engine is hot means the flaps did not open up and you can kiss your engine goodby.
    The flaps are closed about 60-70 degrees give or take.
    Oil leaking from where ?  A quart  of oil every 200 miles is a big time oil leak. Why your light is coming on,I'm not sure.  Is it coming on at idle after the engine is hot ? Are you using 20w50 oil ? Is your engine overheating because your thermostat is locked shut ?  We won't talk about worn out main bearings just yet untill we resoved these other things.
     3 quarts(almost)

Offline Jason

• Ringgold Ga

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #641 on: October 27, 2006, 07:08:08 AM »
Smelly Cat is going to have a new VW if he keeps on fixing that thing up. :lol:

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #642 on: October 27, 2006, 08:21:54 AM »
Jason, It will be awhile before SC is good as new.  He got to get it up to
    "worn out" standards first.   He started out in the " Beyone Help" mode and is almost up to the " worn out " state, but he is getting there. :lol:

Offline Jason

• Ringgold Ga

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #643 on: October 27, 2006, 02:23:26 PM »
Bugtech I think as long as it's running he will make it. We can't let the stuper die again.

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #644 on: October 27, 2006, 05:52:01 PM »
bUGTECH,  

Oil leaking from where ?
The right passsenger side some wHere from the engine block to were the pushrod tubes go..        
I changed all the push tubes and it did not help

A quart  of oil every 200 miles is a big time oil leak. Why your light is coming on,I'm not sure.  Is it coming on at idle after the engine is hot ?

when Im at half a dipstick it comes on when i idle and take right turns

Are you using 20w50 oil ?     YEs and Im mixing it with
10 w30w now  so I got like 17W 43.5   probaly

Is your engine overheating because your thermostat is locked shut ?  i WILL TAKE THE BRASS SPRING OUT scares me now  

There was an error while liking
Liking...

About Us

Chattanooga's oldest and largest club for air-cooled and water-cooled Volkswagens, since 1998. Join Us

Follow Us

© 1998-2024 Scenic City Volks Folks