Forums

Topic: Help with Slow Starter  (Read 224469 times)

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA
  • Liked: 2 times

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #600 on: September 17, 2006, 09:38:41 AM »
Brake fluid is cheap. NEVER, EVER, FOR ANY REASON, should you re-use it.  Save it for other stuff like to use for paint stripper.  Old fluid not only contains crud that will grind on the seals of the master cylinder and wheel cylinders, but it also contains water that it has absorbed out of the air.  The water will create more crud in your system.  When you install a new part on your system, CHANGE the fluid.  It's easy to change if you pressure bleed the system.  In fact, if you want the hydraulic side of your system to last as long as possible, change the fluid ever couple of years.

Keep in mind that I'm cheap . . . and lazy.  I'll run junk parts that I've pulled out of other folks trash cans.  I'll run down the road with ball joints that 10 years past worn completly out.  I'll drive 150 miles away from home stuck in 4th gear . . . but you won't ever catch me re-using brake fluid.  If I do go to the trouble to actually fix something right, I don't want saving $2 on a can of brake fluid cause me to have to do it over in a few months.  Like I said, I'm cheap, but I'm lazy.  And I'm more lazy than cheap. :wink:

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #601 on: September 17, 2006, 11:23:30 AM »
I hear ya preacher, I just want to clarify that I did not intentionally put old brake fluid in my brand new cylinder.   I had had meant  to recycle the old fluid and forgot.  SC

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #602 on: September 18, 2006, 01:40:45 AM »
Oh.  Ok.  I see.  You were going to recycle the old fluid, but stored it in a brake fluid bottle.  I take it somewhere in the middle of the story here you took a nap.  Then when you needed fluid, you poured what you though was new fluid in the reservior and you didn't realize it was really old fluid until the crud came out of the bottle.  I'm pretty sure that's not the first time something like that has happened here in the "triangle."    :wink:    Of course, I'll never admit why I'm so sure.   :lol:

Offline Bugnut

• padded cell.

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #603 on: September 18, 2006, 12:27:41 PM »
You can recycle brake fluid? I thought that stuff was for waterin plants or mixin with bleach. :lol:

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #604 on: September 18, 2006, 06:52:30 PM »
bugnut,  Yes you can .  Take your used oil to Advance and they have a tank you can dump it in.  After all the drips Stupie leaves all over Mother Earth I feel better when I recycle the the bulk of my  my used oils.  SC

Offline certdubtech

• In the Garage...

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #605 on: September 18, 2006, 09:56:15 PM »
Mother Earth thanks you, Mr. Cat...
Of course, depending on the severity of the drippage you mention, are you CERTAIN that this is the BULK of your oil????  Hee Hee Hee...

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #606 on: September 19, 2006, 06:20:46 PM »
OK tech quiz.  
does screwing the volume screw in  make the carb run leaner or richer?

My Stupie runs good when the choke is on and gets wimpyer after it heats up.  SC

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #607 on: September 19, 2006, 10:17:50 PM »
What are you calling the volume screw ?    
    Big brass screw is idle only
    Little brass screw will lean her out if you screw it in
 Haven't we been through this before ?

Offline Jason

• Ringgold Ga

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #608 on: September 20, 2006, 07:25:03 AM »
Carbs are not my strong point. I always run from tuning on them.

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #609 on: September 20, 2006, 08:12:04 PM »
Bugtech,  thats what I thought ,  I was arguing with this fella at work and he said the little screw made it rich when you went in with it.  I Always figured out would make it rich.   ..See I can learn.  SC

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #610 on: September 24, 2006, 10:02:52 PM »
Quote from: "Smelly_Cat"
Bugtech,  thats what I thought ,  I was arguing with this fella at work and he said the little screw made it rich when you went in with it.  I Always figured out would make it rich.   ..See I can learn.  SC

Neither way makes it rich.  I've turned mine both ways and I'm still broke.  8)

Offline copperjewel

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #611 on: September 25, 2006, 05:10:12 AM »
Quote from: "Zen"
Quote from: "Smelly_Cat"

Neither way makes it rich.  I've turned mine both ways and I'm still broke.  8)

Same here Zen. It did not make me "leaner" either.....   :whistle:

Offline Jason

• Ringgold Ga

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #612 on: September 25, 2006, 07:21:54 AM »
Ya'll ant right.    

Zen your the richest guy in the world you get to drive Homer every day.

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #613 on: September 25, 2006, 10:17:59 AM »
Just 'bout time you think you have things under control , they all fall off road again.
   You are right Jason, there ain't none of them right.  I think its time to go sit under a waterfall somewhere. :roll:

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #614 on: September 25, 2006, 09:54:08 PM »
I feel leaner,  but thats because i buy pants that are too big.

This fall  darkeness in the morning finally modivated me to try and fix my head lights.  They do not work.    I discovered that when I wired up my 8 dollar ignition switch,  the ACC  was the not the right place to have the light power coming from.  I could either  start Stupie with no lights ,  or sit in my yard with no motor going with the key on ACC with the lights on.
So,  as you are already thinking .  Brilliant

I also had a neato commute today..  After fixing the head lights on Sunday ,  I decided to stuff a bunch of carpet in front of the dash to block all the cold air from blowing into my heaterless Stupie when I go to work on Monday.  It worked well untill I stopped  at a red light in front of Walmart.  Then the carpet fell or something and my ignition went dead at a green light during rush hour on Hwy 27.,  I had like 10 cars behind me, a dead engine, and not red light on in my dash.  I'd only been awake like 20 minutes .  What to do? What to do? think! brain think!  

I decided to push Stupie in the turning lane. So there we arej  in  the middle of the Hwy with like 100 cars zooming in both directions.  Now I was in a Pickle,  but the magic that only a broke down VW has, sent out a distress call.  we soon had 3 teenagers run across traffic, and when the light was red we  shoved Stupie off the hwy and to the Favorite Market..  

After opening the hood, I removed the offending carpet and wiggled the wires behind the dash... soon I heard the thump thump thump of Stupies fuel pump going and like  in the Terminator movies, Stupie's  red  ignition lights began to glow like cyborg eyes.   After thanking my pit crew.  Stupie roared to life! We drove off for another day of important accountant work.  SC

There was an error while liking
Liking...

About Us

Chattanooga's oldest and largest club for air-cooled and water-cooled Volkswagens, since 1998. Join Us

Follow Us

© 1998-2024 Scenic City Volks Folks