Forums

Topic: Help with Slow Starter  (Read 224473 times)

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #585 on: August 22, 2006, 08:44:35 PM »
Thanks Vwherb,  Whats a slighty use gastank run now adays?   Where is macdonald Tenn located ?    Mike

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #586 on: August 22, 2006, 08:49:40 PM »
Hey will a 74 superbeettle tank fit in my 71?  SC

for that matter should I buy a 74 super for 35 dollars that has a autostick trannt but no engine.

will anyparts fit on a 71.   it has a round cracked windshield.

Can i get the front springloaded bumper stuff to fit on Stupie?

will autostick Cv axles fit on a 71?

Will the blinker realays work in a 71

Th SC

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA
  • Liked: 2 times

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #587 on: August 22, 2006, 11:13:13 PM »
Quote from: "Smelly_Cat"
Hey will a 74 superbeettle tank fit in my 71?  SC

Yes

for that matter should I buy a 74 super for 35 dollars that has a autostick trannt but no engine.

Yes.  (Call me if you need advice on how to explain the new junk car in the yard to your wife.  If I'm experiance in anything, that would be it.)

will anyparts fit on a 71.   it has a round cracked windshield.

Some will fit. Some won't. Some will with a little modification.

Can i get the front springloaded bumper stuff to fit on Stupie?

That one is one that requires modification.  The fenders are different, but if the ones on the 74 are good, they will bolt on the 71.  You would have to figure out a way to bolt on the bumper struts . . . the holes don't line up with the bolt holes for the earlier bumpers.  You would reallyt need to beef up the mounting location a little as well.

will autostick Cv axles fit on a 71?

Yes . . . I think.  Could be wrong, but I think they are the same.

Will the blinker realays work in a 71

The wiring change a BUNCH between 71 and 74.  I'm not sure if the relay changed, but almost everything else about the turn signal circuit did.

From the steering wheel forward, the two cars a lot different.  From the Door post back, the are a lot alike.  If the car is anywhere near complete, jump on it for $35.  If it has a real good hood, you can make a pretty healthy profit by just putting the hood up for sale.  71-72 Supers have a unique hood that to my knowledge, no one has ever reproduced . . . and VW discontinued them years ago.

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #588 on: August 31, 2006, 09:18:57 PM »
Update,  Frank needed some clothes line to make a new lawn mower pull cord.  so while I looked around in the shed,  I showed him the rust hole in stupies tank  about the size of a penny.   Frank took one look,  went home, got out the JP weld and we sealed it up with a piece of license plate and the grey goo.  I'll if it looks sealed in the morning.  SC

Offline Bugnut

• padded cell.

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #589 on: August 31, 2006, 09:48:12 PM »
jb gives out with gas eventualy trust me....

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #590 on: September 01, 2006, 05:48:48 PM »
Bugnut
Oh no, don't tell me that.  
SC

Offline Bugnut

• padded cell.

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #591 on: September 01, 2006, 06:56:12 PM »
Depends how big of a patch plus you did use some metal in the patch, But it won't work for ever.

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #592 on: September 01, 2006, 10:46:26 PM »
SC , You must like to R&R fuel tanks. Oh well.

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #593 on: September 09, 2006, 12:04:45 PM »
Oh no
I have a oil like clear fluid seeping in  on the left  side of the driver footwell ,  , the clutch pedal side.  what the heck is this.  I think its brake fluid.  I can't believe that the new master cyl is leaking in to the inner frame space.  is that possible?  or is there another explanation   Sc

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA
  • Liked: 2 times

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #594 on: September 09, 2006, 02:59:43 PM »
I can't believe that the new master cyl is leaking in to the inner frame space.  is that possible?  or is there another explanation   Sc

That's what it sounds like!  :(  It could possibly be old fluid from a previously leaking master cylinder that's just now finding its way to the outside world.  Is the fluid level in your reservior dropping for no apparent reason?  If it is, sounds like you need a new master cylinder . . .

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #595 on: September 09, 2006, 03:07:58 PM »
thx Zen I'm going to wash my floor and top the resevoir and see what happens.

On a good note.  I put a new set on points in today.  Stupies first new points. Wow no more dead spot in acceleration ,  even idles better.
Who would have known?

I also found out why the last muffler bolt was such a $%%^$.  it was spot welded on. explains why I could not get a get wrench on it  I drilled a hole in it and then whacked the nut off with with a chisle.  Yea fun!

I put on a new /used muffler and the left side has no nuts on it on it.  talk about loud.   I guess I'll buy some muffler tape and wrap it real good and
at least most of the exhaust is behind the car now.. SC

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #596 on: September 15, 2006, 09:10:14 PM »
i got a new mastercyl for brakes.  is ther a techniqu to replaceing it.  the last one i put in lasted 8 months and im sad/  sc

Offline certdubtech

• In the Garage...

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #597 on: September 16, 2006, 01:12:29 AM »
No technique, really.  Just fold yourself up into the floorboard and have at it.  Couple of notes:  You spotted the clear fluid in the floor, make absolute certain the main brake line (Front-Rear, I mean) is not leaking anywhere.  I've done several master cylinders in the recent past that were bought by owners and brought to me.  After replacing them, I've still got no brakes and find fluid in the floorboard around the driver's seat.  Check mainly around the hold-down clips that hold the line against the frame tunnel.  One tip I can pass on, start the 2 bolts first, then get your lines started.  It makes it easier getting the lines started if you have a little give.   Once they're about tight, go back and snug down the hold down bolts in the firewall.  Then, go back and tighten the lines.  If you don't have line wrenches, I'd highly suggest getting some to avoid rounding off the ends, but get good ones.  Affordable/good quality ones for the money are the Polished/Professional Craftsman ones at Sears.  Beware the cheap ones, they tend to flex.  As to longevity, I personally believe that the new ones are better than the reman ones out there, but nothing comes close to the original stuff.  Can't tell you how many 30+ yr old master cylinders I've replaced.  Probably as many as the 3 month old Brazillian ones.  Good luck.

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #598 on: September 16, 2006, 09:40:21 AM »
Thx Certbugtech,  I have already replaced the line that runs along the drivers seat . ( well sort of,   I scabbed a good tube in and compression fitted it to the old line behind the front seat.)  I keep meaning to redo it

I just woke my 17 year old to help with this cyl;inder. He is very happy. I took the old 8 month old cyl apart and it looked ok except it leaked fluid out the back.  It probaly needed a new plunger but what the heck .  I got a new Cyl 30 bucks ouch.  Maybe I had crud in the lines when I put it in last time.

On the muffler install.  I got my buddy Frank   and a crow bar and installed all the old exhaust gaskets on the the left side and the new one and we managed to get some  thread to hold so Victory is Mine.  Not perfect but better than it was and the back seat does not get as hot  and best of all   no carbon monoxide smell in the cabin. and I can hear myself think now.    I may still wrap it up in muffler tape , but not today.   SC

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #599 on: September 16, 2006, 02:02:30 PM »
Ok the bleeding has begun.  its got bubbles but its getting better.

here is the stupid mistake of the day.  last time I bleed the brakes,  I poured all the old fluid into the empty fluid jug.  Today i poured all the bad fluid back into the system after I put the new cylinder in. .Son of a ... It was clean looking untill i got to the bottom of the jug and and I said what the ^%$...  I opened  all the lines goin into the cyl and drained it some  .. oh well. .. Hopefull all the crud was in the bottom of the the container.   poor stupie

Sc

There was an error while liking
Liking...

About Us

Chattanooga's oldest and largest club for air-cooled and water-cooled Volkswagens, since 1998. Join Us

Follow Us

© 1998-2024 Scenic City Volks Folks