Forums

Topic: Help with Slow Starter  (Read 224474 times)

Offline Jason

• Ringgold Ga

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #570 on: August 14, 2006, 09:39:36 PM »
Yall better watch out up there North of the triangle I seen stupie on the road today in front of wal mart so I think it can make it to East Ridge and it's leaking GAS. :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #571 on: August 15, 2006, 08:58:43 PM »
Help!  send gas smell remover.  The gas line I spent 12 hours rodding out has dribbled   gas into the tunnel.  Remember how i moved the electric fuel pump to the front of the car to push the gas to the engine.. Well it evidentaly created pressure that squirted gas out the fuel pipe into the tunnel.  Gas fumes in moderation are rather pleasing in a Woodstock sort of way,, but I digress.

It is now seeping into the cabin all around my foot pedals.   I poured a bucket of soapie water on my floor and  let it seep out thru the rust holes.  Maybe it will smell better in the morning.  Do you think burning scented candles will dispell the fumes?  

Since I drove Stupie  "the  Inferno Bug" to work dripping a drop of fuel every 10 feet or so and had my feet in a puddle of gas on the floor. everyone at work was saying.  "do you smell gas?"   I'd say "No I don't smell anything" and walk away in a hurry..  I'm glad we cant smoke at work anymore and the soles of my shoes are real shiny clean..  I had no choice, My new 83 SUbaru broke the clutch cable.

I ran a new fuel line an hooked it up today.  . Its a work of art  I'll take a picture so others can reap the benifits of this marvelous fuel pipe job.  SC

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #572 on: August 16, 2006, 08:21:01 AM »
There is no doubt scented candles will dispell the gas fumes,but you will have to put them real close to the leak . After Stupor returns from orbit you can then check to see if the fumes are present. Just think, From Stupor Beetle to Saturn 5 with one flick of the Bic . :lol:  :lol:

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #573 on: August 16, 2006, 01:06:05 PM »
Bugtech,  Good advice.   How about this,  It appears that gas is dripping out the side of the carb.  Right on the side were the throttle pivots on. I dont know if it drips all the time or just when I shut off the the engine.  any thoughts.. SC

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #574 on: August 16, 2006, 02:20:05 PM »
I've seen this alot.  It depends on how many gallons is drippng.
      Carb float is set wrong, neetle & seat bad .   Carb perking over due to hot runing.  Throttle shaft worn out.  Does it act like its flooded when trying to re-start ?    These are a few things

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #575 on: August 16, 2006, 02:41:36 PM »
Bugtech,

It seems like a drip every 2-3 seconds.  it stops after the car is off.

I usually have to floor the pedal to start it when it is hot.  I'm not sure if that means its flooded

When the motor is cool it starts up fast.  

Maybe the float is overfilling the float chamber?.  is that what you mean?

SC

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #576 on: August 16, 2006, 05:38:21 PM »
Yep !!   Could be.

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #577 on: August 19, 2006, 11:15:26 AM »
Bugtech,   The gas is  about a inch down from the top of the float bowl.  Does that mean anything  sc

Offline Smelly_Cat

Oh what a lovely morning

« Reply #578 on: August 20, 2006, 12:05:18 PM »
Since I replaced the gas line Wed. I thought my gasy fumes would be gone for good.  Oh,  how wrong I was.  After Church this morning I went to the Conoco and filled her up with 6.6 gallons to top'er it off..   Seconds later I heard the gentle pitter patter of falling rain.  But it was not water rain, it was in petro rain.  it was dripping hard and it was smelling harder.   Time to think.  what to do?  panic.
 Deciding that catching on fire next to gas pumps was not a good plan.  I settled on rolling over to the dumpster.  Surprising ly  easy to push a bug.
Now I had to empty the tank with the only the tools on hand.
 1 empty gallon gas can,   I jerked the hose off the carb and fed it to the gas can, pulled the hot wire off the coil,  and turned on the ignition and we were pumping petro.  Soon that was 1 gallon can  filling up,  I found a 5 gallon bucked labeled ,  "Use for Ice only" and began filling that up.  Then a rescue'er showed up with a keroseen punp and  kerosine tank.  Soon Stupie stopped dripping since I evidently have a seam hole.  With about 6 gallons in the plastic and 2 inside Stupie.  I drove home high on petro fumes.  So how is everyone elses Sunday going?   SC

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA
  • Liked: 2 times

Re: Oh what a lovely morning

« Reply #579 on: August 21, 2006, 12:31:45 AM »
So, now your tank is leaking?  I've been down the "try to patch a Super Beetle gas tank" road before.  If you have a tank leak, buy a new tank.  Don't even bother to try to look for a good used one.  If a used tank is good, it's in a running car and isn't going to be for sale.  You could probably have yours cleaned and coated internaly, which would be a long term fix for any rust, pinholes, and seam leaks . . . but a new tank is probably cheaper.

Quote from: "Smelly_Cat"
So how is everyone elses Sunday going?   SC

Well since you asked . . . I started what I thought would be about a 2 or 3 hour job this morning about 10 o'clock.  I removed a window in one of my upstairs bedrooms at my cabin and replaced it with a door.  I left about 10 hours later.  The door is in, but the job isn't finished.  I've still got about 2 or 3 hours of work to finish up the wall inside.  The good news is, now I can get on my balcony without having to climb out a window.   :lol:

Notice how bright and sunny it is outside just after I started the project.  This isn't a typical stud wall.  It's all rough cut lumber with the framing running right to left, not up and down.  I had an electric wire under the window to deal with as well.

Notice how dark it is and I'm still not finished!  It was a LOOOOOONNNNNGGGG HOT day!

Offline vwherb

• Club Member
  • McDonald, TN
    • http://www.vwherb.com

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #580 on: August 21, 2006, 08:53:43 AM »
SC, I have a good used gas tank for a super.

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #581 on: August 21, 2006, 09:15:59 AM »
Holy Cow !!!    Your framing went "right to left" ?   Lucky You!!!!!  Just think what kind of "deal" you could have had if your framing had gone "left to right". Are your door hinges on top of the door or on the bottom ?
 This could make a big difference when Justin comes over to visit .  :lol:

By the way  :occasion4:  :occasion5:  May your bee stings heal and your framing runs true in any direction.

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #582 on: August 21, 2006, 10:03:34 AM »
Whoops !!  Almost forgot about another birthday !
              " Jason the Bargan Hunter "    This the only guy around that I know that can out trade a Arab horse thief.

:occasion4:  :occasion4:     31 years old ?   Jezzz !!

Offline Jason

• Ringgold Ga

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #583 on: August 21, 2006, 02:14:37 PM »
Thanks Bugtech My son made me a card for my B-Day with a Ga bulldog on front and then I opened it up and it had a VW sign on the inside. How much better can life get. :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #584 on: August 21, 2006, 02:44:33 PM »
Hey! It just shows that you are raising the "Rug rat"  the way he should be. :lol:

There was an error while liking
Liking...

About Us

Chattanooga's oldest and largest club for air-cooled and water-cooled Volkswagens, since 1998. Join Us

Follow Us

© 1998-2024 Scenic City Volks Folks