Forums

Topic: Help with Slow Starter  (Read 224483 times)

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #525 on: July 09, 2006, 01:06:26 PM »
Hey Bugtech,  I did get some heater pipe hose at the bug show and even put them on.  You see my fuel filter was resting on the coke cans that plugged up the exchanges.  Well I had gas bubbling like a witches caldron in the little clear fuel filter.  Iye yi yi,  Count down to infernal  3..2..1... boom. The flaps to  the heaters are all rusty and I don't know if they be open or shut or even there!   I'll take a look at them and let yall know.  sc

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #526 on: July 23, 2006, 12:31:52 PM »
Stupid Muffler nuts.  I managed to loosen 3 of them and one of the bottom nuts is stuck and  beginning to round off.  I have soaked them with Liquid wrench and rapped them with a hammer and punch.  What are my options?

Blow torch?   roto tool and start cutting.

So far the bolt has not  broke off and I'm getting scared that my luck is running out.  SC

Offline 71SuperBee

• Cohutta,ga

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #527 on: July 23, 2006, 01:13:52 PM »
I won't even comment about this...

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #528 on: July 24, 2006, 08:56:51 AM »
Don't round them off please.  Take a small SHARP chisel and wack the nut on one of the "flats" on the nut, like you are trying to cut the nut off.
   P-B Blaster nut buster is the choice .

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #529 on: July 24, 2006, 08:24:57 PM »
Mr Tech,  Will the chisel make the the nut break in half?  SC

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #530 on: July 25, 2006, 08:06:50 AM »
If you hit it hard enough, It will split on one side which is OK also,but you have to be careful not to bend or break the stud off. I usally just hit the nut a few times and it comes off with a wrench. They can get tough sometimes.
  Bottom line is , do what you have to do, but take care of that stud.

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #531 on: July 29, 2006, 12:31:41 PM »
Not that i am bragging but I moved fuel pump from the engine compartment to the front of the car.  I now smell like 87 octane and my hands are real dryed out.  The best part is that the tank is about full so the fuel really shoots out when you pull a hose off.   I finally had enough of priming the fuel pump on the side of Hwy 27.  It had conked out so often that people quit stopping to help.   It was just " theres the red bug, with that guy messing with the engine again"..   I also ran a new gas pedal cable.  It did not thread threw the cavitys of the beetle as smoothly as I would have liked,  but I got it.   I had to use my fish tank tubing with some stiff wire in to to go threw the tin from the engine to under the car,  then I stuck the end of the gas cable into the fish tubing and pulled it threw.  

While test driving my new cable,  I stopped at a yard sale and met a guy from summerville,  He told me he was working on a 80 camper with a carbed 2000cc he just bought for ..get this... $150 bucks.   I gave him the volkfolks web site.  maybe he will post it.    Cheers SC

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #532 on: July 29, 2006, 12:45:54 PM »
$150.00 ?  Didn't Karen Carpender have a song "Its only just begun" :lol:

Offline Jason

• Ringgold Ga

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #533 on: July 31, 2006, 11:19:05 AM »
Glad to hear your still kicken. How is Frank doin havn't heard you talk about him in a while.

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #534 on: July 31, 2006, 07:02:32 PM »
Jason,  Franks cool.  he is cranky thou,  he is trying to quit smoking.  He has helped on my Subaru, then we drank all my beer.

I ran out of gas today. Plum out.. 8 gallons out.  I thought the bug was running like excrement all morning and at 5,  when I left work, I went about 1 mile and cough/pop .   Made a new friend named Ernest who drove me to the Pit stop,   So I dropped in my gallon then sputtered to the golden gallon and topped her off.   Then I cough and sputtered  and died on the road side about 6 times till I made it home.   What the HECK.  I figure I got air pockets in the line or something and I'm waiting till the engine stops glowing and I will pull the line to the carb and run gas into my pickle jar and see if that clears things up.   I thought putting the pump under the tank would be the cure.  SC

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #535 on: August 01, 2006, 09:45:46 AM »
SC, I'm still trying to figure why you have to "prime" that critter to get it started. That electric pump will shove gas clear to the carb in about 10-15 sec. from bone dry if everything else is OK. Is your fuel tank vented?
   Did you get your new muffler installed without screwing anything up ?
   Did you ever tune up your engine ?
   Remember, its about 8 months to BP-9 and thats a long time to be "splutting/coughing" around.
    You and Zen could do something" really off the wall" one weekend. Its called " Repairing our Fuel Gauges" Wouldn't that be clever and excititing ?   Even though the SCVF doesn't have a trophy for "Best Fuel Gauge", It could become a bonding thing :lol:  :lol:

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #536 on: August 01, 2006, 06:47:47 PM »
Wow bugtech ,  I feel like im being interrogated,  Yes the fuel tank is vented , Kind of,  I have a little hose sticking out the intake infront of the wind shield,  

The fuel pump pumps gas but I wonder if the float is not opening or air is in there or something.  I road 9 miles to work no problem so I then we was climbing this hill in front of the bus factory and I jammed it to the floor,   In a burst of acceleration I catapulted up the hill,  about at the top,  i sputtered and coasted all the way down the other side..  It was fun while it lasted,  I run gas threw 2  filters, maybe that is too much restriction.  
Tank to  filter, to pump, to fuel pipe,  to filter,  to carb

Tune up the engine? Not since BP8,  Maybe I need to check the plugs and wash the air filter or check the air filter and wash the plugs, i get confused. I did clean out 35 year old  cigar butts from the back seat ashtray this weekend, They were real small cigars that smelt like rope.

Fuel gauge,  I think it works fine,  Its the sender unit thing,  It was all rusty coathangers and ping pong balls so I snipped em off.  I have been hoping to get a another sender , but I got a new video game and have been busy

I somehow drove all the way home today, no conk outs,

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #537 on: August 02, 2006, 08:44:50 AM »
Well you are being interrogated and you will answer or you will face the wall. You had a Mexican tune up at BP-8,You know, " Just get'ter running Pedro, I gotta lot of illegals to get across the border"
    Little cigar butts? smelled like Rope? Hmmmmm !
 Just because I gave you a trophy at BP-8, You are not off the hook yet.
 You haven't told me about your muffler job. Well ? :lol:  :lol:
    Did you find any "great flapping things" in you filters ?

Offline Bugnut

• padded cell.

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #538 on: August 02, 2006, 12:22:50 PM »
Just an off the wall question is the starter fixed yet? :lol:

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #539 on: August 02, 2006, 05:54:29 PM »
Bugtech,  I went and bought  4  dollar cold steel chisel at ACE  to wack the last  immovable muffler bolt.  Then I lost the chisel,  then I found my daughter using it scrape bird doo from the  bird cage,  After wrestling the chisel back,  I'm ready for Hammer Time  on nut #4..  Plus the motor stays hot a long long time in July.  I'm hoping August will be cooler.   So I guess  no muffler off yet.  Stay tuned.  maybe this weekend I'll get some courage to try again

I forget what big flapping things are. Was that on a test in VW 101 class?
The filters had little black rust things that look like magnetic sand..  My pickle jar had maybe a tablespoon or so in it after a 20 second  run of the fuel pump.  I figure it helped, i don't know.  Maybe its VW fairy dust?

I figure if the the engine starts..   its in tune..maybe in E Flat .  You think points and things would make it go better?   SC

Bugnut,  It turned out that the jugs we loose and the plug wires were crossed.  the starter was fine.  GO figure.  Who could have known? I still start it with the GE dryer switch set to "Delicates".  SC0

There was an error while liking
Liking...

About Us

Chattanooga's oldest and largest club for air-cooled and water-cooled Volkswagens, since 1998. Join Us

Follow Us

© 1998-2024 Scenic City Volks Folks