Forums

Topic: Help with Slow Starter  (Read 224489 times)

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA
  • Liked: 2 times

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #495 on: May 28, 2006, 09:52:51 PM »
Quote from: "Smelly_Cat"
Everyone!!!! Thanks for the support for Stupie,    doing the head gasket on a Fuel infected toyota engine really  sounds like a drag.     SC

Go Stupie Go!!!!!

Yeah, doing a head gasket on anything water-cooled and fuel injected is a drag . . . and it can get expensive in a hurry!  Depending on just how old and how popular the engine is, you might come out better buying a used engine from Japan.

Several years ago, the head gasket on my mother-in-law's Mercury Tracer (same as a Mazda 323) blew.  I pulled the head and had Dover Cylinder Head rework it.  They machined it down slightly (it was a little warped) replaced a couple of valve guides, etc.  Cost about $90.  I figured while I had the head off, I might as well pull the oil pan, pull the pistons, hone the cylinders and replace the rings and rod bearings.  6 months later I had it back together . . . it cost close to $500 before it was all over.  Parts for Jap engines can be #1) Hard as heck to find and #2) EXPENSIVE!

A couple of years ago oil started leaking (more like gushing) between the block and head on her Mitsubishi Expo.  I started to pull the head off and try to figure out what the problem was . . . then I had a flashback to the Tracer.

Then, I found a used engine for it on eBay for $250, plus $125 shipping.  Paid for with PayPal on Friday, got it Monday.  Installed it the next weekend.  Didn't have to pull the intake or exhaust manafolds . . . just unhooked all the wiring and hoses going to the engine (4 hours worth of work there) unbolted the engine and pull it out . . . stuck the new one in and hooked everything back up.  Did it in one weekend, cost under $400, runs like a top.  This engine had between 30 and 50 thousand miles on it, compaired to nearly 200 thousand on the one I pulled out.  It also came with a 6 month, unlimited mileage warrantee.

The reason the engine was so cheap is it came out of Japan as a used engine.  Cars typically can't past strict inspections in Japan by the time they have 30 - 50 thousand miles on them so they are scrapped.  There isn't a big market for used parts in Japan since their cars typically don't run enough miles to "wear out."  In Japan, they are worth more for scrap than for parts value.  So, a few enterprizing Americans have figured this out and go to Japan and buy used cars for scrap prices, cut off the front ends, pack 'em into overseas containers and ship 'em over here.  Then they go through them, cleaning up and testing the engines and sell them for less than what it would cost for the parts to rebuild a worn out Japanise engine.

If you can figure out how to stuff a good running Mitsubishi engine in the Toyota, I got one you can have REAL cheap!  It leaks a little oil . . .  :lol:

Offline Bugnut

• padded cell.

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #496 on: May 29, 2006, 12:07:00 AM »
The van uses a toyota truck motor 22r maybe I don't remember exactly but they are abundant and cheap if you find one. But drive the bug it's cooler. 8)

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA
  • Liked: 2 times

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #497 on: May 29, 2006, 09:30:51 AM »
Quote from: "67bugnut"
The van uses a toyota truck motor 22r maybe I don't remember exactly but they are abundant and cheap if you find one. But drive the bug it's cooler. 8)

What Bugnut said . . . drive the bug, it's cooler!   8)   If you can fix the van cheap enough, you could sell it and use the cash to bring Stupie back to 100%.    8)  8)  8)

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #498 on: May 30, 2006, 06:41:25 PM »
I ran out of gas again. Man,  I was mad.  When I don't drive stupie every day all gas falls out of the fuel pump.  Had to do another roadside prime and off I went.   I need to move the fuel pump probaly or the filter like you said Zen.

When the motor gets hot it idles way too fast .  DO i just need to screw that big brass screw in the side of the Carb till it slows down?.  After Bugtech set everything I'm afraid to touch it.  

I'm trying to find my Toyvan shop manual.  This car hardly ever broke so can't find me book. I hope i don't need to drop the engine to get the head off.  My 16 year old needs a car and I figure I figure my Silver Bullet is just the van for him.

Offline Bugnut

• padded cell.

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #499 on: May 30, 2006, 08:18:51 PM »
Those vans are a pain to work on,almost everything involves pulling the motor. One of my buddies has one one I belive it's still parked near the Ocoee river where it broke down last year. :lol:

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #500 on: May 30, 2006, 09:27:09 PM »
SC , Make sure the carb linkage is returning to idle and not hanging up as you let up on the throttle. You can turn the BIG brass (on the left side)screw IN to slow it down if everything else is OK. You will be shot on site if you screw this up :lol:

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #501 on: June 05, 2006, 06:22:18 PM »
Hope everyone is well.  
Been working on my 84 Soobaroo lateley since me ToyVan muled out on me.  Its been parked for 4-5 years, so I've been un moth balling it.  I went to the DMV with the insurance form and the DMV had the  13th digit of the VIN as an 8 and not a B.  They would not fix it,  so I drive the car to the DMV and they check it.  Yep its a B.  Now I got 5 people at the DMV trying to figure out how to change an 8 in the computer to a B.  2 hours later they decided to make me a new title to fix it.  The TN title I have,  had the right VIN on it .  It was about as much fun I could have for $42 bucks.  I'll send a bill for my time to recoup it.

but Lets talk about VW's   I got this here blinker problem with the Stupor.  When I signal both lights in the dash (left and right) glow and I get no clicking.   What soes that mean?  SC

Offline Gobusgo

• Club Member
  • In a bar in downtown Hell
    • http://www.borndigital.org/barefoot/pics/up-men-00289.jpg

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #502 on: June 05, 2006, 10:09:06 PM »
When I signal both lights in the dash (left and right) glow and I get no clicking. What does that mean? SC

Could be a blown bulb.  The lights on the dash on my Buses do that when a bulb is blown.  In fact, the dash blinker lights did that when a bulb was blown on my '95 Nissan pickup I used to have.

Or do the lights glow and the clicker speed is increased?  I can't remember cause I haven't had a blown bulb in quite a while (knock on wood).

Offline 71SuperBee

• Cohutta,ga

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #503 on: June 06, 2006, 01:48:18 PM »
just a thought, wonder if i could get 2k out of my bug? LOL.. As cheap as folks are i am sure they would try to ju me down to 1500 or something..

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #504 on: June 07, 2006, 10:11:57 AM »
Who knows what you can get for your car until you advertise it and describe what has been done to it . Just don't lie about anything. Be ready to turn the car over if someone gives you what you want. Put a price on it that you would be happy with and see what happens. You also need to post a few good photos showing the good,bad and the ugly points.

Offline 71SuperBee

• Cohutta,ga

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #505 on: June 07, 2006, 11:29:34 AM »
Yea i was going to do that, but I also thought well they can come look at it better than pics can describe, anyway I don't know SC about the no clicking but if the blinkers aren't blinking it maybe the blinker relay.. Just a thought...

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #506 on: June 07, 2006, 03:43:09 PM »
You might be closer to the thought that the relay is bad than you think. :wink:

Offline 71SuperBee

• Cohutta,ga

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #507 on: June 08, 2006, 02:11:22 AM »
Still learning.hehehe :)

Offline Jason

• Ringgold Ga

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #508 on: June 14, 2006, 02:15:58 PM »
So Smell Cat how is the Stuper doing

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #509 on: June 15, 2006, 07:12:37 PM »
Hey Jason,  I am turning into a full time mechanic,  Toyota's/Subaru's and VWs.  I got to fix something on some car every frigen day.   Ole stupie is running OK.   Stupie is so noisy that it lulls me into thinking it is in good shape.  I cut the motor the other day  and coasted into my drive way and I heard the back CV clicking and popping and a grindy sound from one of the brakes.  Also lots of suspension clunks that probaly mean I need a shock or 4.

THE main problem today is the Alt pulley coming apart.  The back pulley broke off its weld and the middle piece is about cut through from the washers wacking it.   So after every 10 miles I have to stop and tighten the pulley.  This was fun for about 7 times but now I think I need to replace the pully.   Any body got a whole pulley?   SC

There was an error while liking
Liking...

About Us

Chattanooga's oldest and largest club for air-cooled and water-cooled Volkswagens, since 1998. Join Us

Follow Us

© 1998-2024 Scenic City Volks Folks