Forums

Topic: Help with Slow Starter  (Read 224488 times)

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #480 on: May 20, 2006, 03:11:17 PM »
Wow.  I went to the Library today,  but ran out of gas.  So I put my spare gallon reserve in. No go.   I am finding out that when I run out of gas I need to Prime my electric fuel pump.  You might think  that a fluid pump would be able to suck the air out and get the gas going!.  But No.  I am going to buy a fire extinqisher.   The next procedure involves dripping gas on a hot VW engine.  DON'T do this with kids in the car..   The filter is next to the coil and I have to pull the line off the filter, let gravity fill the filter,  hook it to the pump.  pump sucks out the gas.  repeat . repeat untill the gas stays in the filter.  Pretty Cool!  Huh?

While I was doing this,  Ken the Policeman drives by.  Remember Ken?  with the bugs he wants to sell?   Turns out,  he lives down the street from me.  So we chat a while.  Seems he sold some of the bugs and things. Cool .  All together now. ..Its a small world after all..

Ok.. gas.. Check!  Lately over the roar of  a leaking muffle . i have been hearing a Marachi band sound  .   That turned out to be the altenator bolt going loose. No tools at all in the bug. ( Motto:  not Always prepared) I had to  use a car key to undo the gas hose clamp.   I hand tighten the Alt bolt and limp back to Casa de' Stupor.  Add a gallon of lawn mower gas.. tighten loose bolt. NOTE  Those altenator washers make there own music when the get loose.

Off I go.  Who would of thought going to the Library would be such an adventure?

Back to the damper thing.   I can drive at 50 with a managable shake in the wheel.   Although Driving slow in an old bug makes people drive along side and wave and do the thumbs up thing.  I like it and  I need  the encouragement.  Even if I fix this I will still drive sub speed limit I think.

Zen,  thanks for confirming that I probaly got the right damper.  I will try the wheel round thing.  Do you think I really need to put only  27 pounds of air in the tires?  I like ti  run 40 lbs  cause it saves gas.

Superbee.  I will pound out that old rubber thing and put in the new one.  Good Idea on the method .  Thanks.   That new damper makes it harder to steer. Bonus! Not just a car.. a work out machine!   The Old damper was like power steering since it did not do anything.   I saw a 71 Super in the paper today for like $3800

Bugtech
I agree with  you that this shaky shake will only get worse by shaking the car apart.  With all the rust .  I can't afford to shake too much.   I will heed your advice and fix this
THanks SC

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA
  • Liked: 2 times

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #481 on: May 20, 2006, 07:34:30 PM »
OK, SC . . . here's a couple of "Been There; Done That; Got the T-Shirt; Don't car to go back" tips:

1.  You've actually got three choices here.  Either buy the fire extinguisher, relocate your fuel filter, or buy a bag of marshmellows.  I'd recommend placing the filter in the hose between the tank and the tunnel.  Yeah, it's a pain to get at, but it's a bigger pain to fight gas fires in the "engine room."  Trust me.

2.  When you run out of gas, use the engine's vacuum to pull the gas from the tank to the carb.  E-Z to do, but it requires a helper . . . or maybe a remote starter switch made from Kenmore parts.  All you have to do is take off the breather and cup your hand over the carb so no air can get in, but without blocking off the vent pipe that goes into the carborator bowl.  Have someone spin the engine.  As it turns and sucks in air, it starts to create a vacuum in the intake 'cause you have your hand over the top of the carb.  That vacuum pulls the air out of the carb bowl and in turn out of the fuel line . . . and all at once, gas is flowing into the carb and the pump should pick up and take it from there.  Works like a charm.  Done it lots of times.

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #482 on: May 20, 2006, 08:06:31 PM »
Zen good tips.  I really like the site glass of the fuel when the filter is in the engine department but I see that this advantage has the down side of
severe 3rd degree burns.  maybe I can hollow out a filter so I can see if I got gas to the fuel pump?  I think it will be fun to put the filter under the tank now that I have like 7 gallons of rocket fuel in the tank.   I learned today that fuel tanks have pressure and if your fuel hoses are loose  and the cap is on tight ,   pressure builds up and l leaks/squirts  gas all over the place.  I might need to rethink my design or not tighten the cap so well.

Superbee.  I tried to pop that rubber washer out of the steering arm the damper bolts too and it did not  cooperate.  I think if I knick the rubber out I can get it but I had to play tennis so I gave up.   SC

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #483 on: May 20, 2006, 11:35:48 PM »
Stupers had a pretty complicated venting system for the fuel tanks . . . 99% of the components of it are no longer avalible and used pieces in good condition don't exist.  When pressure built up, the old system took fumes and stored them in a charcoal canister then blew them into the air cleaner where they were pulled into the engine and burned.  If you just disconnect everything and seal off the vent lines, when pressure builds up it'll find someplace to go . . . and it probably won't be where you want it to go.  Also, when you're going down the road burning a gallon of gas every 28-30 . . . on a long trip, you'll pull a vacuum in the tank and gas won't flow out of it.

If you leave the cap loose or worse, drill a hole in it, driving down the road at 55 there is a vacuum created by the air flow over the fuel tank door . . . you'll pull gas out of the tank and spray it down the side of your car.

So . . . you have to get a little creative.  I've found that if you can hook up some type of hose to all the vents on the tank and hook them together, then run the hose up as high as possible in the trunk then back down and out of the trunk somewhere under the car it will let the tank breath without letting out too much raw gas.

Offline Bugnut

• padded cell.

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #484 on: May 21, 2006, 02:01:19 AM »
Anybody know what ol Kenny has left I was wanting to talk about a few parts....wait I have a number ,I'll call.

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #485 on: May 21, 2006, 06:15:18 AM »
Quote from: "67bugnut"
Anybody know what ol Kenny has left

I know what he originally drug into his brother's yard about 10 years ago.  I know of a good door and a good buggy body that are gone.  I'd say, there ain't much left in the way of salvageble vehicles . . . but there should still be some good parts.  There is a shortened chassis there that I'm interested in if Justin doesn't buy it.   8)

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #486 on: May 21, 2006, 05:39:07 PM »
Zen,  I tried  loosening the  gas cap and driving to Rock Springs and had a slosh of petro clean the paint down the passenger side. Gas really ruins that turtlewax shine. The plus side.. no mosquitoes.  When Stupor and me met,  the tank was removed and upside down in the trunk so I  have been playing by ear since.  
It has been kind of Sherlock Holms'ee putting humpty dumpty back together again with out the advantage of taking Stupie apart to start with .  The main front to back line that hooks to the existing vent lines is plugged. A curserary check says its full of dehydrated petro.  All lines are hooked up now.  I took the last line and stuck it out the fresh air grill  on the trunk lid by the windshield.  I am hoping most of the fumes go over my car and not back in.  This should fix it for now but I'm worried that  all the fun I am having driving not due to the car but to the gas fumes.  SC

Offline Jason

• Ringgold Ga

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #487 on: May 21, 2006, 11:00:18 PM »
Bugnut I think he has sold of every thing thats worth getting I've got that black 69 baja still down there But there is still one car there with pop out latches one window broke but don't get the ones out of the 69 bug

Offline Bugnut

• padded cell.

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #488 on: May 21, 2006, 11:43:32 PM »
Yep that's the one with the broke window. I also remeber seein a block that's an h5 block.It was crappy but all h5's are as I understand And a beam off the one thats crushed in the middle of the thicket.That's pretty much all I saw that was interestin to me. I'll call again and see if he'll sell any of it.

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #489 on: May 25, 2006, 09:59:50 PM »
Stupie has moved up at the Cat house.  Its like American Idol over here.  My ever so dependable 85 toyovan  blew a head gasket Tuesday.  "Expletive ommited".   Stupie has now moved up to the 2nd place behind a 93 Toyota PRevia with 265,000 miles.  Stupie is running well,  I've drove over 200 miles so far.   Ran out of gas 2x and popped the clutch and stalled out about 10 times.  I am trying to decide if i want to drive Stupie 365 days a year and have a toyo shed on wheels or do I want to put a gasket in the van. . big decisions.  SC

Offline Jason

• Ringgold Ga

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #490 on: May 26, 2006, 08:02:54 AM »
I vote for Stupie. I have seen you a couple of times on the road in stupie and I don't think anybody could take that smile off your face with a tow truck.

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #491 on: May 26, 2006, 09:39:26 AM »
Go Stupie!!    S.C. just think, everyday a new adventure !   What in the world could be more boring than driving a machine that has everthing . Even if you put a head gasket on old Toyo, It would still be boring. Who in his right mind would wave at another Toyota van ?  I have a 86 Dodge PU and as far back as I can remember, nobody has ever waved at me unless something was falling off. I got more looks when I towed my Buggy home. 8)

Offline Jason

• Ringgold Ga

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #492 on: May 26, 2006, 09:45:00 AM »
AMEN Bugtech :lol:

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #493 on: May 26, 2006, 10:21:10 AM »
And another thing, Even as old as I am, I got in on the last of a tradition of waving at another Bug or Van or even stopping and "yak" about your "critter" and telling how they actualy passed that semi or got over that mountain range and only had to down shift to 3rd gear 20 times . You could spot each other  from a mile away so you had plenty of time to get that arm out the window.  Today you are riding down the road and what do you see? Honey, Is that a Honda ? No,its a Toyota. Looks like a Neon to me. No, its a Lexus. Looks like some kind of Nissan. It couldn't be. By that time it zooms by at a closing speed of 150 mph(60 on your end and 90mph coming at you) you still don't what is was. And you what ? Who cares ?
   I think that old Tradition is making a comeback. I hope it does. It was just to much fun. 8)

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #494 on: May 28, 2006, 01:10:11 PM »
Bugtech,  This might warm your heart a little.  My Daugher and here friends made up a game.  When you see a VW bug  new or old.   you say "puddin goo" and you get 1 point.  if you see a red bug its a goo  = 2 points.   if its a convertable it get complicated.  a red bug vert is a goo goo  3 points and a regular vert bug is  puddin goo goo .  So here we are Fort walton beach FLA right know.   driving down Hw 98 shouting   Goo Goo,  puddin goo  goo, .   When you call it wrong and say a red bug is a puddin goo you loose 2 points .   So you got to see the bug and call it right .   I'm down about 12 points but I'm getting the handle of this game.    We got an 8 hour trip back to the triangle Monday to practice.  

Everyone!!!! Thanks for the support for Stupie,    doing the head gasket on a Fuel infected toyota engine really  sounds like a drag.     SC

There was an error while liking
Liking...

About Us

Chattanooga's oldest and largest club for air-cooled and water-cooled Volkswagens, since 1998. Join Us

Follow Us

© 1998-2024 Scenic City Volks Folks