Forums

Topic: Help with Slow Starter  (Read 224486 times)

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA
  • Liked: 2 times

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #375 on: March 26, 2006, 03:15:56 PM »
For what it's worth, I've got faith in you SC!  Whatever you ended up doing to the master cylinder in the westy you used to own worked great.  Last year when we parked the B.U.S. (the Bug-A-Paluza Unisex Shower, which, in a former life was your Westy) at the show, we needed to lock the brakes, but one of the e-brake cables was broke . . . so we wedged a piece of 2X4 between the pedal and the seat and brakes were still holding 3 days later when we hooked up to drag it away from the show grounds. I'll round you up some seat belts as soon as possible.  When you finally get the brakes right, they will probably launch you through the windshield if you're not buckled in.   8)

Offline Bugnut

• padded cell.

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #376 on: March 26, 2006, 04:13:12 PM »
Bleed ,adjust,bleed ,adjust and do it 10 more times. I feel your pain SC.
Have patince at some point it will work.

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #377 on: March 26, 2006, 06:09:17 PM »
Thanks Zen and Bugnut and Superbee and Bugtech

When I tell you this , you will call me a big fat liar.  Here it goes. wait for it..wait for it.  I GOT A RELATIVLY FIRM BRAKE PEDAL.  Yipppee,  I know,  I can't believe it either.  I probaly need to bleed another round,  but right now its the best there ever was.  Pretty cool. I can't believe how much brake fluid I wasted. Maybe a half gallon.  I'm pouring  all this fluid  thru a coffie filter and use again,  kidding.  Will brake fluid work in a kerosene lantern. I'm going to find out, maybe half and half with gas..  I also have trained all 4 kids and my wife to pump pump hold, ok pump pump hold,ok pump pump hold, repeat for 30 minutes.  SC

Offline Bugnut

• padded cell.

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #378 on: March 27, 2006, 12:08:23 AM »
I think I'll have some peace around the house for at least a week. My relitives are afraid to visit. I'll be safe until they know my brakes are done.

Offline Smelly_Cat

Brake Bleeding Ephany or epiffinknee

« Reply #379 on: March 27, 2006, 06:47:53 AM »
New learning about brakes.  When I was bleeding the brakes ,  I noticed that all the air bubbles went to left wheels of beetle,  the right wheels had hardly any air bubbles.  I thought this was magic until I realized that the left side of the car was 10 inches is the air.  Then I began to think that maybe I just discovered a better way to get air bubbles out when you change the master cylinder.  When I bled into my peanut butter jar with a fishtank hose in it,  as soon has the pumper lets off the pressure,  those pesky air bubbles start seeking high gound and when the car is jacked  to the left side,  all those bubbles will migrate the the wheel cyl and be ejected.   Or maybe, the car is supposd to be flat on the ground when you bled it.  Any comments.   sc

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #380 on: March 27, 2006, 08:14:48 AM »
Scott, Looking at the amount of times you pumped/bled & adjusted, what was the order in which you bled the system ?   Just curious.

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #381 on: March 27, 2006, 08:57:40 AM »
Well !!!! Its about time Dang !!  As far as the left over old brake fluid, It will not burn, but it makes a great laxative which I think is in order for the "Triangle" .  
      I think I'm going to open up a "Drive Thru" Pump and bleed station.
 As far as whats going on in the "Members Only" , get about $15.00 off your hip and as Sherlock would say " Pay up Watson and all will be revealed".  Check or cash only. Cindy will not accept old dryer parts as payment .Sorry.
 :lol:

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #382 on: March 27, 2006, 07:18:20 PM »
Somewhere WAY WAY back in the post, I metioned pressure bleeding.  That is the only way to do it!  It'll get 100% of the air and 99.44% of the old fluid out of the system in a hurry.  That old fluid is what will cause 95% of your future problems from the hydraulic side of the brakes.

You can go out and buy a professional power bleeder if you have money to burn, but if you are on a "make do with wha'cha got" budget, you can throw one together from stuff you probably have around the house already.

Basically what you want to do is devise a way to pump air pressure (and not much at that) into the top of the brake fluid reservior.  When you open a bleeder, fluid will be forced straight through the pipes leading to the master cylinder, through the master cylinder, through the brake lines and out the bleeder at the wheel cylinder.  "Real" pressure bleeders keep adding fluid as you bleed and make this a one man job . . . if you devise one out of aquarium hose, a bike pump and a couple of drier parts, and it just puts air under pressure into the reservior, it's best to use two people.  One to keep the pressure on and make sure the reservior doesn't go dry and one to run around opening and closing bleeder screws.  Either way, it just takes a couple of minutes to get ALL of the air and almost all of the old fluid out of the system.

When you pump and bleed, it's kind'a like the fluid takes two steps forward and one step back . . . this tends to break up the big air bubbles into lots of tiny ones that are much harder to get pushed along the way and out the bleeder screw.  Of course if your kids or wife need exercise . . .  :lol:

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #383 on: March 27, 2006, 08:52:12 PM »
Zen,  I made a pressure bleeder out of a bike tire innertube.  It worked for a while but iwhen i tried to refill it sort of quit working. i also made from a big red beach float pump.  the pump blew up and is worthless now.  I ran out of things to use.  But it did work for a while.  SC

Offline Bugnut

• padded cell.

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #384 on: March 27, 2006, 10:02:31 PM »
Well i wont mention the amount of time wasted bleeding the system before adjusting or all the stupid time in between.
 What worked best was adjusting the brakes down where it took effort to move them,then bleed in the order you gave. Afterwards the drums centered up and turned easily. I figure three times around the car got it done. So knowing that now I figure a couple of hours tops. It just took 2 days to figure how not to do it.
I think I will construct a pressure bleedder for sure.

They work great now,I almost ate the steering wheel testing them.I must have got lucky it actually stops straight.

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #385 on: March 27, 2006, 11:27:03 PM »
Quote from: "67bugnut"
They work great now,I almost ate the steering wheel testing them.

For the first few years I was "into" Volkswagens, I assumed that what I'd been told all my life was true . . . at their best, the brakes on a bug are adequate for most situations.  What I eventually found out is that even though they are an antique design and don't even have self-adjusters, IF they are right, they are VERY GOOD BRAKES!  If they are right and they still aren't good enough, the problem isn't in the brakes, it's in the driver!  8)

Offline Bugnut

• padded cell.

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #386 on: March 28, 2006, 10:55:57 AM »
I was pretty impressed with how good they are now versus how they were when I thought they were ok.

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #387 on: April 04, 2006, 08:11:18 PM »
I just rebuilt the carb on my 83 Subaru and got it started so I could get it out of the way so I could get the bug out.  I went around the block.  Ran pretty good,   stopped pretty good.  The brake pedal is firm but it seems like I have to push it 2 inches before it has any effect.  What does that sound like?

Question 2.  I feel I got good power in 1st and 2nd gear  but in 3rd things start getting wimpy.  What does that sound like?  sc

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #388 on: April 04, 2006, 09:10:32 PM »
Quote from: "Smelly_Cat"
The brake pedal is firm but it seems like I have to push it 2 inches before it has any effect.  What does that sound like?

Sounds to me like the shoes might need to be tightened a click or two.

Quote from: "Smelly_Cat"
Question 2.  I feel I got good power in 1st and 2nd gear  but in 3rd things start getting wimpy.  What does that sound like?

Sounds like most of the old VWs I've ever owned!    :lol:

Offline Bugnut

• padded cell.

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #389 on: April 04, 2006, 11:45:24 PM »
Hey smelly  tightenthem down till they darn near lock. When it takes some muscle to move em. When you pump they center up then back em off just slightly till the roll again.You can get them to clamp down pretty good if you get em right.
On the power subject mt exhaust was shot and I put on one of them Empi gt deals.made it run pretty peppy.It will probably look like poo in 3 months but it will work for now.Also it doesn't line up with the cutouts in the apron and thats kinda ghetto but oh well. :wink:

There was an error while liking
Liking...

About Us

Chattanooga's oldest and largest club for air-cooled and water-cooled Volkswagens, since 1998. Join Us

Follow Us

© 1998-2024 Scenic City Volks Folks