Forums

Topic: Help with Slow Starter  (Read 224476 times)

Offline 71SuperBee

• Cohutta,ga

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #315 on: February 10, 2006, 10:25:31 AM »
That is what i was wanderin david, I can't find the place to put some antifreeze, I am so scared that it will freeze up this winter. Oh and where can I check the heater coil? It gets cold in the bug in the winter time. Any suggestions? Maybe low on antifreeze?    :lol:     :lol:      :lol:     :lol:   :roll:

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #316 on: February 11, 2006, 09:38:10 AM »
Zen,  I saw a pretty black VW car in you back yard when i went by Friday.  Looks like a nice car at 100 feet going 30 mph.  

I went to Trion to see the parts bug.  It was like a 72 or 73 super with a round windsheild and no seat belts and the seats were diff and I could not get the hood open and the ignition was gone and the lights were different an the bumpers were rusty and looked like they would not fit my 71.  So i bought it.  .. no , I did not buy it.    Andy had a bunch of other bugs and I got a fan airbox and a back seat back and a dash box.  But my prized possesion was an ashtray.  Now I have a shift pattern to follow,  I was having trouble  shifting  but the ashtray decale shows me how the gears go and tells me were reverse is.  sc

Offline 71SuperBee

• Cohutta,ga

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #317 on: February 11, 2006, 10:11:03 AM »
Smelly,

Can u send some pics of this bug please? I have a 71 also and would love to see yours again, i can't remeber for the life of me what it looks like.....

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA
  • Liked: 2 times

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #318 on: February 12, 2006, 10:07:15 AM »
Quote from: "Smelly_Cat"
Zen,  I saw a pretty black VW car in your back yard when i went by Friday.  Looks like a nice car at 100 feet going 30 mph.

It would look a lot better if IT was 100 feet away and going 30 mph . . . away from my house!   :lol:

Quote from: "Smelly_Cat"
I went to Trion to see the parts bug. It was like a 72 or 73 super with a round windsheild and no seat belts and the seats were diff and I could not get the hood open and the ignition was gone and the lights were different an the bumpers were rusty and looked like they would not fit my 71.

If it had different seat tracks and curved windshield, it's a '73 or later.  If it had heavier bumpers than your 71 and they were mounted on what looks like shock absorbers, it's a 74 or later.  Either way, there wouldn't be a whole lot of the stuff you need that would fit your 71.  You should have bought it though.  Bugs are not solitary animals.  They are happiest when they have lots of other bugs around them.  I can come over and teach you some creative ways to park them . . . it's possible to heard 15 or 20 of them into a very tiny amount of real estate.  As a bonus of having company for your 71, if you park 'em tight enough no sunlight will reach the ground and you'll have less grass to mow!  :wink:

By the way, make sure the ashtray is for a manual tranny!  The auto-stick ash tray shows the wrong shift pattern for your car.   8)

Offline 71SuperBee

• Cohutta,ga

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #319 on: February 12, 2006, 10:15:33 AM »
:D  :D Boy Zen sure knows his stuff. I never thought about it that way. Bugs love company.. LOL. I dont think mine does. He is spoiled enough. As we could all imagine. :roll:  HAHAHA

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #320 on: February 12, 2006, 06:20:57 PM »
Zen  I think my bug is lonely,  he keeps humping my leg.  I can't have a bunch of bugs in my yard throwing partys.   Next thing you know i'd hear the pitter patter of little baby VW's doing donuts in the yard and throwing up oil on my new suit.  I'm in enough trouble  around here anyway.  Maybe I can bring him over to your VW preserve  to play with your bugs?

Superbee,  Im trying to load a pic of my drive way menace and I don't know how to get the picture the right size so it will load.    SC

I did alot of work on the bug today.  I stuck the ashtray in and it did not fit. DOINK, bash hand to fore head.   Curses.  I bet I have the frankenstein bug,  its not a standard bug and its not a super,   its something in between...   a ST-UPER Beetle,  Wait a minute.  I hear a song coming on.. Bugtech! grab your Guitar.. to the tune of Rudolph the red nose reindeer..   All of the other Volkwagens,  used to laugh and call him names (Like URAPOS)  they would not let ole Stuper beetle,   play in any air cooled  games.  Sigh .. transition to a wimper, ending in  a backfire.  SC

Offline 71SuperBee

• Cohutta,ga

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #321 on: February 12, 2006, 06:37:49 PM »
Smelly, Please send the photo to me atjselectronics@alltel.net

and I will resize it to fit ok? OMG Little bugs. i want one soo bad.. LOl. I bet they are cute... LOL.. Help me david I am sinking...

Offline 71SuperBee

• Cohutta,ga

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #322 on: February 12, 2006, 07:59:06 PM »
here we go... This is smelly's Car.. This is a nice car... Smelly, care to trade wheels? I have some nice looking wheels but i want some like yours. Let me know

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #323 on: February 13, 2006, 01:00:21 AM »
Back in the day when I had a very large herd of them in the back yard, I think they did reproduce.  A friend came over one time and said "that's a new one. where did you get it?"   :?:  Good question!   :shock:  I don't remember getting it anywhere.  It either wandered up on it's own or it was born there.   :lol:

On the ashtray . . . it should fit if it came out of any 68-77 standard Beetle sedan or any 71 or 72 Stuper Beetle.  All of those should have the same ashtray.  The only variation should be the shift pattern diagram for a standard 4 speed or for an autostick.  If it has R, 1, 2, 3 and 4 it's for a standard, if it shows R, L, D1 and D2 it's for an autostick.  But either way, they all should "fit."  If it doesn't fit, either something is bent or you could have a later Stuper Beetle ash tray.  The ones that come out of the dash of a curved window (73 and later) Stuper won't fit in the hole of a flat dash.

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #324 on: February 13, 2006, 12:23:01 PM »
Superbee,  take a pict of you car from the side so I can see the wheels you got.   Since you like my wheels i'm afraid it makes me want to keep them even more.  You should have said.  " Nice bug , Dude.  if it had diff wheels it would be cooler"  then offer up what you got.  I'm very suggestable.

Zen I'll look at the ash tray so more.  it looks Gray.   I invested about 10 seconds trying to wiggle it in and maybe this is a 30 second job.

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #325 on: February 13, 2006, 06:50:27 PM »
Zen, I while back you had Sermon about safety and jacks and things so when I did the brakes I took a picture so you would be proud on me.
2 scissors jacks and 2 ramps.  Note the Drum is still attached to the wheel on the ground

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #326 on: February 18, 2006, 09:21:29 AM »
This goes against my "Don't buy anything you can make out of dryer parts" creed-o, ,   but I was shleppin around Advance and saw a igniton switch with a key for 8 bucks and  bought it.   Maybe I am getting sick, or have a been probed by aliens, or  maybe it was the tax refund that  makes my wallet hard to close.  Zen, you  gave me a site that had a igniton wire layout in it and I just  re-read about 150 posts  trying to find http://www.type2.com/.  LOL! ,   We are funny, especially that Smelly Cat guy.   I did keep the switch reciept  in case the medication works and I regain my senses. Its is raining and cold so I won't be abugworkin this Saturday..  SC

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #327 on: February 18, 2006, 11:08:21 PM »
I've got one of those universal switches in Homer the SuperBus.  It was installed in it when I bought it and fixing it with the correct switch would be a lot of work . . . so I've just left well enough alone.  And since I put a couple of washers behind it where I could actually tighten it down where it don't spin, I haven't had pull off the road and wiggle the wires to get the smoke to stop coming out of the dash!

Any you are correct about us being funny. A couple of weeks ago, I started reading this thread from the begining.  By about page 5 I passed out laughing!  I've figured out how to cash in on it . . . Here's my plan . . .

Read through the Muir "Idiot Book." Muir was a good writer.  Even when he was serious, he was funny. Some of the stuff he wrote leads me to believe he wasn't really "that" good as a mechanic.  I think he got his training under the big shade tree at HKU (Hard Knocks University).  If he had any "real" VW schooling (the kind of schooling the Godfather had), he was probably under the influance of something stronger than Winston Lights at the time.  :hippy2:   Where was I going with this?   :-k  Oh, yeah . . . The thing that made the Muir book a "MUST HAVE" for every VW owner since the late 60s is 1 - it's got these really cool pictures  2 - it's funny  and 3 - It does have some good information that might actually help you when you need to work on your old Volkswagen.

By the time you have your Stuper Beetle on the road as a nice looking, good running and safe automobile, the only thing this thread will be missing is the cool pictures . . . and I know this guy who can draw anything . . .  I can see it now.  Every air-cooled VW owner will have 3 books in their referance library . . . The Bentley manual for their car, the John Muir "How to keep your Volkswagen Alive" book and the SmellyCat "How to revive your Volkswagen from the Dead" book.  What do you think?   :lol:  8)

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #328 on: February 20, 2006, 08:47:50 AM »
Hmmm, Might be fun since Louis Grizzard is now among the missing, Dave Barry and Gary Larson are at the Farm. Smelly would have to include an VW-Dryer Parts Exchangeability list or all is lost. As a incentive to purchase the book, you could give a gift card to a local fire fighting class :lol:

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #329 on: February 25, 2006, 09:33:50 AM »
Oh YA, I'm de' man.  I mustered up my courage and snipped the old ignition switch wires and connected them to my brand new Cheapo,  made in China, instructions in Chinaman Switch.   Check... Check... testing 123 .,   Awe,, the battery is dead.  OK.. charge it a bit and Vrrooom!.   I used an old shoe lace to lasso  the switch the dash.
   Here is the hink.   Its been a month and I have since forgotten how the steering wheel goes on.

A  C clip, steering wheel, washer, nut
B  C clip,  washer,steeing wheel, nut
C   Some other combo,  maybe i dropped a component on my floor
Since it is off,  should I do some kind of maintenance.  the horn contacts are worn thru but they may still work.  SC

There was an error while liking
Liking...

About Us

Chattanooga's oldest and largest club for air-cooled and water-cooled Volkswagens, since 1998. Join Us

Follow Us

© 1998-2024 Scenic City Volks Folks