Forums

Topic: Help with Slow Starter  (Read 224475 times)

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA
  • Liked: 2 times

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #300 on: February 05, 2006, 11:52:54 AM »
Looking for seats?  I know a guy that has the front half of a 68 for sale and it has the seats with it (It also has the doors, dash, steering collumn and I "think" even a working ignition switch . . . maybe even some seat belts. :wink: It also has the front suspension, but it's not a Super so that won't do you any good . . . without some VERY involved welding).  Anyway, the seats are supposed to be in good shape, but then, I haven't seen 'em.  If you've still got original floor pans, your seats tracks are 71/72 only . . . so to be "correct," you can't use 68 seats.  I know that 71 seats will "kind'a" fit on earlier seat tracks, but I'm not sure about going the other way.  Maybe if you borrow some sheet metal screws off of an old dryer you could screw the seats down to the floor or something.  Just a thought.  Let me know if you are interested and I'll find out what his bottom dollar is.   8)

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #301 on: February 05, 2006, 11:53:47 AM »
Uh-oh !    71 SuperBee and SmellyCat standing in the same yard ? In the "Triangle" disscussing VWs ?
    RUN ZEN !!  Get out while you can!    
    JASON !   Put on your Flak Jacket !

:shock:

Offline 71SuperBee

• Cohutta,ga

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #302 on: February 05, 2006, 12:24:11 PM »
Oh that is just mean.... :(  :(
You know as well as I do, I don't have time to go no where. LOL.. I can't wait till the baby gets older then he can go with me to the vw places. He loves VW's and he isn't even 4. LOL.. You stop being mean david... BAD!!! DAVID BAD!!!!!!   And zen don't run, We will need you.....  :) :)

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #303 on: February 05, 2006, 12:28:00 PM »
Quote from: "Ret.Bugtech"
Uh-oh !    71 SuperBee and SmellyCat standing in the same yard ? In the "Triangle" disscussing VWs ?
    RUN ZEN !!  Get out while you can!    
    JASON !   Put on your Flak Jacket !

After the Twenty-three-and-a-half hour VW Adventure I had yesterday, I'm ready for anything!  Bring it on!  (I'll elaborate later . . . but it involves a 1000 mile round trip to pick up a 91 GTI with a hole in the gas tank, a broken motor mount, a non-working starter and a leaking water pump and drive it back to Chattanooga . . . didn't quite make it back to Chattanooga . . . it did, however, limp into the "the triangle" where it now resides in my driveway.  Someone remind me to kick Justin's rear end sometime . . .  :tard: )

. . . Jason, that Flak Jacket might not be a bad idea!   8)

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #304 on: February 05, 2006, 04:24:38 PM »
UH -ER -Hmm, Might I ask who's GTI are we talking about ? :-k

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #305 on: February 05, 2006, 04:49:19 PM »
What a day.   I got a bunch or connectors and some wire and went crazy.  I redid the coil, the regulator, the carb, the oil sensor and  the amp gauge.
I messed up with my new ignition switch.  its a starter switch and not toggle stay on switch.  .. Oh well.   Its like 30 degrees and I got it started and ran  till i ran out of gas.  Whoopee.

Zen,   what does half a VW sell for?  is it half full? or half empty?
I got a line on a super with no motor for 40 bucks that i am trying to figure out how to get and hid in my yard so my Wife does not know..

I want to show of my bug to you guys but I'm afraid if i show it. you will say  "Dude!  this bug is a POS. "  Then i will sink into a deep depression.  and I hate crawling out them.   SC

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #306 on: February 06, 2006, 08:13:33 AM »
Hey Dude !   They are all POS until you get them up and running, restored, or whatever you make out of them.
   A $40 Super ?  Then you will have two POS. WOW !  Maybe you can convince your wife that it is a Dryer :lol:

Offline vwherb

• Club Member
  • McDonald, TN
    • http://www.vwherb.com

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #307 on: February 06, 2006, 09:08:23 AM »
Zen, have Justin stand in front of a mirror and say 500 times, "I am a dumb a%#". When you told me the part about the guy telling him it was pretty much a "parts car" and he bought it anyway clinched his new name  for me.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #308 on: February 06, 2006, 07:20:57 PM »
Zen,  is the GTI parts car story in here some were?.  I think i missed the 1st episode.   my Tivo was broke.  

My better half seems sorta cool with the 2nd bug but she is gona make me suffer if its not gone by spring.  It has a automatic tranny. I hope it has the air box with the fan.   Do you think I can make a electric car out of a auto matic?.  I have a forklift motor i've been saving for just the occasion.
Isn't a vw automatic like a manual but it has a wacky vacumm clutch or something?. SC

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #309 on: February 07, 2006, 08:28:42 AM »
Close enough on the auto-stick.  No first gear.  2nd ,  3rd , 4th and rev.
 Has servo-vac. operated manual clutch.  Sorta like the old Mopar fluid drive back in the 40's and 50,s except it had a clutch pedal.  The auto-stick got a bad rap do to the fact that it carried 90w gear lube for the tranny and ATF for the torque converter. People checked the ATF but never the tranny, so a lot of them burned up do to thinking the ATF lubed everything. :roll:

Offline 71SuperBee

• Cohutta,ga

wow david

« Reply #310 on: February 07, 2006, 07:32:38 PM »
Wow david, this omong other things I did not know. This is a very entertaining forum and a very informative also... WOW. thanks

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #311 on: February 08, 2006, 08:15:36 AM »
By the way, The auto-stick tranny worked very well installed in a "Trike" You just had to find one that was good and didn't need a Pamper wrapped around it.
   For those who didn't know, Fielding Clark( Dr. Fieldinggood) Put a trike together that had the Type-3 fully automatic tranny powered by a Type-1 up-right. Must be still working as I haven't heard anything bad.
  The nice thing about the auto-stick is that you could leave it in any gear and the dang thing would launch pretty darn quick from a dead stop. Even in the top gear (4th)

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #312 on: February 08, 2006, 10:06:00 PM »
Quote from: "Smelly_Cat"
Zen,  is the GTI parts car story in here some were?.  I think i missed the 1st episode.   my Tivo was broke.

Scroll back up to my last post in this thread.  As soon as I've shook off this cold that I caught stopping every 15 miles or so to pour water in the reservior in 25 degree weather with the wind blowing 30 miles per hour, I'll fill in the details.  By the way, do you any of you have any idea how many 15 to 20 mile increments there are between Augusta, GA and "the triangle?"  WAY TOO D*** MANY TO BE DRIVING A PIECE OF C*** GTI with a leaking water pump when it's 25 degrees!

Offline 71SuperBee

• Cohutta,ga

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #313 on: February 09, 2006, 07:17:54 PM »
We don't since a bit of regret do we?  I can't believe that you would even attempt to push the GTI let along drive it that far,  :lol: ......... There is too many hills off of I 20 fro augusta, lol. I guess u found that out though huh? :razz:

SUpeR

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #314 on: February 10, 2006, 08:04:54 AM »
I know what a pain it is when your water pump goes south on you. I remember when the water pump went bad on my '64 Bug.  My windshield stayed dirty for months. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

There was an error while liking
Liking...

About Us

Chattanooga's oldest and largest club for air-cooled and water-cooled Volkswagens, since 1998. Join Us

Follow Us

© 1998-2024 Scenic City Volks Folks