Forums

Topic: Help with Slow Starter  (Read 224471 times)

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #285 on: January 23, 2006, 06:44:11 PM »
Hey Zen, I'm still alive.  The weather is cold,  it rains all the time, I had a pipe brake under  my house and my good cars are breaking down and I just have not been VW fixin this month.
I did have my brother over at Xmas and I wanted to impress him so I cranked up the the bug and smelled a new smell.  It was not the
un-burned gas and oil on the manifold  smell I'm used too,   or the mildew and dead rodent smell of the interior.   I saw smoke coming out the hole where my dash box would be if I had one.  Crap!  Chestnuts roasting on a open fire.  FIRE in the hold!.  the ignition switch was A-burning...  right next to my custom  red plastic gas tank with the fishtank line siphon hose.  It was a lucky thing i had a half can of Budweiser fire repellent.  It was either the bug or the beer.   Thanks Budweiser!  
 I have some dryer electrical parts laying around and I think I can make me a new switch..  High heat:Cottons = ignition on,  No heat: fluff=Off.   SC

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #286 on: January 24, 2006, 08:08:16 AM »
I can only belive Smelly will use the "Spin-Cycle" on his new switch to ingage the the starter motor. Long live Kenmore !!
 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #287 on: January 30, 2006, 06:33:53 PM »
What a beautiful Sunday,  So in the bug i go,   here  is the damage.  

Fire damage.  the wire that goes to the battery to the amp gauge in the dash and back to the voltage reg behind the front seat  is a charred corpse of it former self.  I may need to see if ithe motor  will start with a hot wire to the coil. I hope i don't have a toasty altenator.   Any suggestions?

I figured I'd try to get ignition switch replaced.  it looks like it is not the cause of the vw infernal but it still barely works,  so out it goes.
I got the steering wheel off and slid the turn signal column assembly off the shaft.  How do you get into this thing so I can get the switch out.?  
It appears that it has been sealed for my safety and I am starting to eye my box of dryer parts for a suitable replacement.  I also have some old house light switches that look appropriate.  SC

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #288 on: January 31, 2006, 08:33:49 AM »
I'm trying to remember what the 71 column looks like .  If everything is out of the way you will see two screws about the size of a pencil beside the shaft on the right side. Take them out along with the little tie down casting. Be sure to leave the key in the switch so your steering is not locked and start pulling the whole lock assy. out. I don't think any of your switches plug in at the base of the column so you will have to help push the Ing. wires while pulling the assy. out. If you are lucky and have plug in  switches , just pull the block off at the base of the column and lift the assy.out. On the lock cylinder you will see a tiny little set screw. Take it out and the electrical part will come out. DO NOT LOOSE THE SET SCREW.  If you do lose the set screw go to Home Depot and buy a 100 amp. fuse box.With that ,you are on your own :lol:  :lol:

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #289 on: February 01, 2006, 08:11:18 PM »
Thx Bugtech.  I took off 4 screws that hold the turn signals tuff in there and then 2 other screws (and the infamous tiny set screw) that  held the key lock thing..  so now i have the switch pried off the key part.   I have this REAL  vw mag that says the switch for a 71 super ignition was made for one year and is 49 bucks.  Maybe I can bend all the little slidey connectors in the switch so they touch again.  I can't pony no 49 bucks for 3 wires soldered on to a plastic switch.    Any suggestions?  

Also any ideas on why my hot wire from the battery to the voltage reg burned up.   SC

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #290 on: February 02, 2006, 08:31:46 AM »
You will "pony up" if you want it to get the Ing./starter to work like it is suppose to. Most of the time you will find a crack in the plastic housing making it junk. I can only imaging what your wiring looks like, so I don't have a clue what burned up things although I have seen the switch melt down on the inside along with other things in the harness.
 The Zenmiester is without question the Master of VW pyrotechnics(?). He might be able to shed some light on this :lol: Oh well ! Back to the box of Lady Kenmore parts. :roll:

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA
  • Liked: 2 times

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #291 on: February 02, 2006, 09:37:21 PM »
The 71 switch is one of those expensive one-year-only parts.  You'll need to buy a new one to "fix it right."  I could probably come up with a way to "fix" it cheaper . . . but RetBugtech would probably throw some of his Dasher parts at me.  Holler at me sometime when he has his back turned and we'll see what kind of creative soulition we can come up with.

As for exactly why your wire(s) had a meltdown . . . I don't have a clue without looking at it and seeing what all was affected . . . and after that I still probably wouldn't have a clue . . . but I've never seen a wiring meltdown that couldn't be overcome eventually.  The good news about wiring troubles on a 71 is the pre-73 wiring diagrams are pretty easy to read even if you're "electrically challenged" like me.  You should be able to find a wiring diagram for it on http://www.type2.com . . . look in the library.

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #292 on: February 03, 2006, 09:33:09 AM »
Dang!  I'm running out of Dasher parts. Not to many rocks left. Maybe some wadded up melted copper wiring will work. :lol:

Offline 71SuperBee

• Cohutta,ga

Sc Sc, O where art thou Smelly Cat???

« Reply #293 on: February 03, 2006, 11:45:13 AM »
Hey man, I got a 71 super as well, we need to get together and figure it out, I just recently put a new fuse block in mine and wow, the four ways work without hanging.. WAHOOOO... I have missed everyone in the forum, you guys wouldn't believe the hell I have been through just trying to make a living. Being on the road takes all my time and the other goes to the baby, And other various items.. LOL... Hollar at me SC.... email  gaboy72000@yahoo.com
   I have missed you DAVID.......
 aaron

Offline Jason

• Ringgold Ga

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #294 on: February 03, 2006, 03:03:14 PM »
WOW71Superbee is alive

Offline 71SuperBee

• Cohutta,ga

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #295 on: February 03, 2006, 03:16:59 PM »
Why yes i am , and I was going to call you. U know how i forget. Please don't inform the board that I forge that much... I have nothing to look forward too when getting older do I?

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #296 on: February 04, 2006, 12:15:08 PM »
What in the heck are you talking about not having anything to look forward to ? Hell fire!! you are only 28 years old. I'm 69 and having more fun now than I ever had. If I was 28 and knew then what I know now , I would be really hard to handle. Look forward to getting old. It beats the heck out of the alternative. Don't hand me that "Poor old pitiful me" jazz.
  I'm glad you have shown up on the forum AGAIN. I haven't had anyone to pick on lately :lol:  :lol: You had better show up at BP-8 .

Offline 71SuperBee

• Cohutta,ga

When is BP8?

« Reply #297 on: February 04, 2006, 02:46:05 PM »
When is bp8? I will need to know so I can take that day off, well that sunday. I guess it will start on a saturday huh? I need to get the new struts and shocks put on..LOL.... yeah man I have missed ya pickin on me that is for sure...LMAO  :roll:

Let me know ok?

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #298 on: February 04, 2006, 04:58:23 PM »
Hey Superbee,  Can i have your used shocks and struts, seatbelts, hub caps, wiper blades, seats, oil and aluminum cans?  

I cut some new wire out of a Ge dryer and ran it through to the battery and regulater and put the switch back together.  I then took 3 deep breaths.  It was time to energize.. with one hand on the new wire  ( To see if starts to get hot and melt) and the other turning the bad ignition switch with a screwdriver.  Yes!   Houston, we have 2 red lights in the speedometer.  Wire to regulater not melting in my hand.  This is good.. Confidence.... Building.....  I don't hear the thumpity thumpity of my fuel pump for some reason.. A fuse from the regulator to the engine  blew during the great Fire of Dec 28..  Replaced it,  Ah the comforting thumpity is back ....Tried the turn the car over and the battery just aint got it.  So now I'm charging the battery. My kids are running around the yard with the steering wheel making fart sounds or maybe  VW sounds,  hard to tell. I hope they dont lose it,  i might need to steer someday .  SC

Offline 71SuperBee

• Cohutta,ga

why yes SC

« Reply #299 on: February 04, 2006, 05:11:10 PM »
U can have my old stuff, but one strut is leaking hydro fluid and both shocks are on the bottom lol :lol:  :lol:

also i can not give u my seats.. LOL>.... Glad to see ya back again. I want to come see that bug ok? Give me directions and i will come up

There was an error while liking
Liking...

About Us

Chattanooga's oldest and largest club for air-cooled and water-cooled Volkswagens, since 1998. Join Us

Follow Us

© 1998-2024 Scenic City Volks Folks