Forums

Topic: Help with Slow Starter  (Read 224472 times)

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #270 on: November 27, 2005, 02:31:59 PM »
Jezzzz, Do you drive the car facing the rear window? No wonder you are confused. Turn around 180 degrees. Even in the "Triangle most cars have there steering wheels on the left. Make sure the steering wheel is directly in front of you. Be sure you are inside the car to perform this manuver as it helps greatly to eraticate the confusion. Unless you are in a different part of the world today, you will notice to your amazment that you are sitting on the left side of the machine,steering wheel in hand, looking out of what normal folks would consider the windshield. Having injested all this info and hopefuly knowing most automobles have only two sides. You are presently sitting on the left side leaving only one side to consider. Could it be the remaning side would be the right side of the car ?  Works for me.
 Don't worry about "up & down" or "top & bottom" right now. We will work on those at a later date. To much info at one time might "short ciruit" something.  :roll:  :lol:

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #271 on: November 27, 2005, 06:56:40 PM »
OK so the guy driving is the left side and the bucket of tools in the passenger seat is the right.   Very good  thx Bugtech,  you is good educator.

I gave the bleeding another try.   I'm getting good at sliding under ther bug and my kids hide when I'm looking for a brake pumper now-a-days.    I think there is crud in there.   it was making schretch skiddo splung noises like jello thru a straw and the fluid started coming out Black.  I think my new wheel cylinder has been be-fouled and  is full fo nasty brake line stuff.   I need to get a heart surgeon for some arterary cleaning..  It got dark and I had to quit for tonite.   I figure maybe i need to remove one flex line and run a coat hanger thru it.  I can't wait.   sc

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA
  • Liked: 2 times

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #272 on: November 27, 2005, 08:47:58 PM »
Quote from: "Smelly_Cat"
I think there is crud in there.   it was making schretch skiddo splung noises like jello thru a straw and the fluid started coming out Black.  . . .   I figure maybe i need to remove one flex line and run a coat hanger thru it.

No, you need to remove 4 flex lines and throw them away.  Put 4 new ones on.  Pressure bleed it and get ALL of the old fluid out.  This is one case where duct tape won't work.  Not even in the "triangle" . . . I'll see if I can find and extra reservior cap and rig up one.  As soon as I do, I'll get with you one evening and I'll show you how to do it.

Pressure bleeding is the ONLY way to do this job right.  OK, it's not the really the ONLY way . . . till you've done it once and realize how much easier, quicker and more effective it is.  The neat thing about pressure bleeding is you can get all of the old fluid, crud, jello, black stuff, rust, dirt, water, and what ever else has built up in there for the last 30 years.  Letting this stuff stay in the system will ruin new parts faster than you can bolt them on.  Once you get it right, pressure bleed the system every year or two to flush out the old fluid.  Brake fluid will absorb moisture from the air. Moisture in the system is what causes 80% of the problems with the hydraulic side of your brake system.

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #273 on: November 28, 2005, 09:18:41 AM »
4 hoses ?   All 4 hoses ?   All 4 hoses at the same time ?   Zen ,you are asking a lot from SC. I don't think this is possible. He may have a whole roll of IV tubing , duct tape and 3 gal. of used brake fluid. :lol:  :lol:

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #274 on: November 28, 2005, 06:25:54 PM »
Bugtech, I do have alot of used brake fluid.  its good for soaking rusty bolts with and as a rubber rejuvinator it can't be beat.  

Zen, I'm going to replace the rubber hoses as soon as find the cheapest hoses in tri-state area.  I bet I need to clean my fancy new brake cyl's too.  Darn it.  SC

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #275 on: November 28, 2005, 08:48:31 PM »
Quote from: "Ret.Bugtech"
4 hoses ?   All 4 hoses ?   All 4 hoses at the same time ?

I've had one pop under pressure before.  I went from :badgrin: to :shock: to :tard: in 1.1 seconds.

I'll bolt on a used, worn out, junk part that was thrown away by someone else when I'm trying to make one go, but we're talking 'bout making one stop.  Like most teenagers, I usually didn't listen to advice my dad gave me, but I can still hear him say "If it won't go, it'll hurt your feelings, but if it won't stop it'll kill you."  Anytime I got near anything to do with the brakes on my old 64 Buick LaSabre (a.k.a. The Tank) I heard him say that.  He said it enough that I remembered it, but it took a brake line popping while pulling in my driveway a quarter century later for it to sink in.  Luckily I was pulling into the driveway . . . I knocked a fender off the Beetle I was driving when I hit my dune buggy at about 10 mph . . . and the dune buggy skidded forward and destroyed the decklid on my 64 Ghia.  Good thing it didn't pop 10 minutes earlier when I was pushing the car to the limit on a winding road . . .

Duct tape a plastic gas can under the hood and run a clear plastic hose across the top of the car and play with sparklers anytime you get around it (your eyebrows will grow back and they can do amazing things with skin grafts these days), but DON'T SKIMP ON BRAKES!

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #276 on: November 30, 2005, 09:32:19 PM »
Thanks Zen,  I'll fix the brakes better than I normally fix things . Was that concern for me or the Bug or maybe for other drivers? ... .  

Why do you think they put brakes on all 4 wheels?
 Its 4 way redundancy  like NASA uses.

I went to a parts store and a flex rubber brake hose was like 14 bucks and it wasn't even in stock. If they are going to over charge,  they better have the part on the shelf.   Is that too much money? It is to me.   SC

Offline vwherb

• Club Member
  • McDonald, TN
    • http://www.vwherb.com

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #277 on: December 01, 2005, 08:44:51 AM »
How much is your life worth or someone elses life worth? That price is a little bit high, no, it's a lot high. Mid America has flex brake lines for around $10 each and as a rule, they are high. Mid America has braided stainless steel hoses for $16.95. Some of the parts stores around here really gouge when it comes to their prices. If you don't mind a 3-5 day wait, order them via phone or off the internet. Even though you have to pay shipping, you will save money.

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #278 on: December 01, 2005, 10:39:51 PM »
Forget the big autoparts chains when you are looking for air-cooled VW parts.  If you buy them "locally" try the VW Dealership in Dalton, American Forgein in Dalton or Tri-State imports in Cleveland, TN.  Any of those places can get you the right part and you at least have a somewhat decent chance of not being totaly ripped off.  Of course, if you have to have it and can't wait and you can't make it to Dalton or Cleveland, there's always Mainly Foreign at the end of Rossville Blvd. . . . but get ready to detach an arm and a leg, and take your first-born son.

Herb's got the best advice . . . mail order.  Lot's of places sell 'em mail order.  http://www.onlineaircooledparts.com is a vendor that always comes to our show.  He has 3 different brake hoses listed on his web site for $6.50 each.  One of those will fit the rear of you bug, but he doesn't have the front hose for a 71 Super Beetle listed.  I'm sure he has them though.  Send him an email and he'll give you a price.  He only charges actual shipping cost, and on most items if the order is over $50, shipping is free.  Since he is shipping from FL there isn't any sales tax.  His name is Tony . . . tell him the Volks Folks from Chattanooga sent you.  He'll treat you right.

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #279 on: December 02, 2005, 07:15:10 PM »
Thanks VWherb and Zen,  I called our 3 local places and got a range for 14-21bucks.  they also asked if my car was an automatic and if it had disc rear brakes.  Would an automatic have different brake lines?   The  http://www.onlineaircooledparts.com store has got my bizness.  Mike

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #280 on: December 03, 2005, 08:21:54 AM »
Quote from: "Smelly_Cat"
Would an automatic have different brake lines?

I could be wrong, but I don't think so.  I've worked on the rear brakes of an autostick Beetle before, and I'm 99.999% sure that all of the brake components are the same as a standard tranny.   But, again, I could be wrong.  I have been wrong before.  Bugtech could probably tell you for sure.  He "might" have worked on a "few" more of 'em than I have. :wink:

On a 68 with an autostick, maybe they are different.  In 68 the standards were still swing axle trannys and the autosticks were IRS.  Starting in 69, all of them were IRS . . . at least the ones built for the US market.  Mexico was still using the swing axle trannys on it's 2004 models (built in July of 2003).

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #281 on: December 17, 2005, 01:55:23 PM »
Weekend update with smelly cat

I ordered some brake lines at onlineaircooledparts but I forgot to click something.  I anxiously awaited for my hose for a week and then Tony of the store emailed me to say.. Thanks for the payment and that maybe I could tell him what I had wanted to buy.  So I did,   and I got some brake hose.  Today,  I had some fun and removed those 25 year old hoses and Boy! what fun it was,   Everything was clean and shiny and came right off like butter. Its great how VW but the connections right on top of the swing axle, were there is so much space to work in.  And you know how I love to be under my bug when the wheels are off and its cold outside.  So there you go.   Oh Waiter, May I have some cheese with my whine?

I guess I'll replace the front ones too some time.  SC

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #282 on: January 20, 2006, 11:42:21 PM »
:-k   Wonder what's up with Smelly Cat :?: No word for over a month . . . Maybe I ought to swing through Emerald Acres and see if there's a crater out there or something.

Will the "Help With a Slow Starter" thread finally come to an end?  Will Frank ever grow his eyebrows back?  Will the Smelly Cat-mobile show up at Bug-A-Paluza sporting all new brakes and a properly mounted gas tank feeding gas to a properly tuned engine?  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:

Tune in again soon to find out.  Same Cat time, Same Cat channel!

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #283 on: January 21, 2006, 12:49:38 PM »
We must not let this thread end now. It hasn't come to some final solution.  Smelly might still be in orbit. What do you think ?

Offline Anthony

• In front of the computer

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #284 on: January 21, 2006, 01:53:29 PM »
I can beat your popped brake line story...
I ruptured a brake line at Road Atlanta which, unbeknownst to me, squirted the fluid straight onto my header, where it promptly evaporated. In other words, I had no idea there was a problem until reaching the end of the front straight, the fastest part of the track. I hit the brakes at over 100MPH and got nothing!
It turns out you can make it through turn one without braking, provided there is sufficent "pucker effect" coming from your backside!
When I limped back into the paddock and checked, I still had no idea where my fluid went until I poured more in and began pumping, whereupon I saw the stream squirt onto the exhaust. :roll:

Then there's the time I turned in my fastest qualifying lap minus one rear axle nut, but that's another story for the next time this thread gets slow!

Where are you Smelly Cat?

There was an error while liking
Liking...

About Us

Chattanooga's oldest and largest club for air-cooled and water-cooled Volkswagens, since 1998. Join Us

Follow Us

© 1998-2024 Scenic City Volks Folks