Forums

Topic: Help with Slow Starter  (Read 224467 times)

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #240 on: September 30, 2005, 03:25:12 PM »
I have the timing set I think.  motor starts and runs.  idles crappy,  engine just kind of slows down a little bit each second untill it croaks

I went around the block 2 times and out to a secondary road today.  I have no power in 3rd and 4th gear,  all I get is lug lugs like when you go 5 mph in 4th gear in a parking lot.

I sprayed the manifolds and carbs stuff real good with carb cleaner to see if I had a Vacuum leak and I found none.

Should the motor run with the little  mixture /volume screw all the way to the stop?   My motor just runs fine like it did not matter were the screw is set.   Whats up with that?   S/C

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #241 on: September 30, 2005, 03:36:29 PM »
Who knows.  I think you are way overdue for the" laying of hands".
  What did you ever do about your fuel system anyway ?

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #242 on: October 01, 2005, 10:50:09 AM »
Bugtech, calling what I have engineered a "fuel system" implies that the fuel is conveyed dependably and safely from a frontal located fixed storage unit to a fuel/air mixture device above the engine. That is not exactly what i have.  The Smelly Cat Fuel system  begins with a  Red 5 gallon plastic gas container with a clear piece of fish tank tubing slid in the small hole opposite of the spout.   What a minute!...  Hold the phone...lets put this to music...

(This can be sung to the song the  "Foot bone connected to ankle bone".

The red plastic gas can connects to the clear fish tank hose
Fish tank hose connects to 1/4 inch rubber hose
1/4  hose  connects the  metal line that runs long passenger side of car
Metal line connects to 1/4 inch rubber hose that swags under tranny
1/4 rubber line connects  to the fuel filter
The fuel filter connects to the Standard VW clothed rubber fuel line
Standard VW fuel line connects to metal pipe through fan shroud
Metal pipe connects to Standard VW fuel line
Standard VW fuel line connects to 1/4 rubber line
1/4 rubber line  connects  electric fuel pump (bolted to the backfire thingy)
Electric fuel pump connects  to 1/4 rubber line ( and the coil for 12 volts)
1/4 fuel line to standard VW fuel line
The standard VW fuel line   to carb.
These are the ways of the Smelly Cat

Bugtech,  thats the fuel system. Impressed?   I was going put the metal tank back in but this is working out so well i figured,  why bother?

Did you know that the input and output ends of 99 cent fuel filters can be sawed off so you can connect different size fuel hoses together?  
Should I put that in Tech Tips?

Maybe I should  clean the Carb again or buy a fire extinquisher .  
So.. back to my question..  Should the engine run with the the mixture screw turned all the way in?  Whats up with that?
Decisions.. Decisions.   S/C

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #243 on: October 01, 2005, 11:26:51 AM »
Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!  Its beyond all belief that the engine runs at all.  I read your description of your fuel system and did not understand a dang thing about it until I took your hint about putting it to music. I grab my Guitar out and lo and behold all was revealed. Arghhhhhhhhh !!
    No ! It's not supposed to run correctly with the mixture screwed all the way in. For sure it will not idle.
    What the hell is the "backfire thingy" ? :roll:  :roll:

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #244 on: October 01, 2005, 11:58:46 AM »
BugTech

The backfire thingy is the tech term for the golf ball size vacumm thing on the left side of the engine compartment,  one hose goes to the carb the other to the intake manifold.   I ran the bolt that holds it to the car thru my fuel pump bracket to hold it from vibrating around when it pumps petro.

by the way,  does the backfire thingy do any good of should i remove it to save weight and  throw it into my neighbors swimming pool?  SC

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #245 on: October 01, 2005, 11:41:09 PM »
The correct title for the "back fire thingy" is  " thottle positioner" or in some cases " de-cel valve". This device would keep your thottle from slaming shut when you took your foot off the gas pedal. It would let your thottle ease down to a idle. Early smog "thingy".  More than likey it died many years ago. So plug up the holes in the manifold/carb and make a trip over to your Buddys pool if you desire :twisted:

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #246 on: October 02, 2005, 11:32:58 AM »
Thanks Bugtech, I'll disconnect the thottle backfire thing.  Maybe its messing up my carb balance?  Last night got my wheel barrow ( Its very hard to loose a part in a wheel barrow) , lined it with newspaper,  and disasembled my new second hand carburator.  Using the handy little red straw, carb cleaner was blasted though all the orfices and channels and jet things.  This carb was not dirty at all and had no gum varnish etc to worry about, unlike my original carb which had a miniture  "La Brea Tar Pit in side it.   The engine restarted fine,  idle still did not work any better.   I'll take a Sunday drive today an see if it helped unleash the monsterous power locked within this engine.    SC

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #247 on: October 02, 2005, 04:33:13 PM »
Update, I tied off the backfire throttle thing.   I can't figure out if the throttle cable is stretched or the foot pedal lever with the little wheel  is bent,  apparently,   A floored pedal moves the carb throttle 50% open .   Would that effect performance any?     I have bent the pedal lever a bit and have the throttle cable all the way to the braided wire.  On the up side,   I have about 80% of the throttle and I got in 4th gear today,   42 MPH.  It was scary fast considering I still don't have any seat belts.  
 Do cables stretch? Am I missing something? (Don't answer that)
 What does a cable cost anyway?  SC

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA
  • Liked: 2 times

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #248 on: October 02, 2005, 05:33:58 PM »
Cables are among the cheapest parts there are. Haven't bought one lately but the last one I got at Advance Auto was about $4. There are several different cables . . . two or three different shaped hooks on the pedal end and at least two or three different lengths. When you factor in the quality control issues in China and Brazil, there is no telling what length cable you'll get even if you get the "right" cable.

On the not idling thing . . . do you have power to the idle cut off solenoid on the lower left side of the carb? If it's working correctly, it will cut off the idle circuit when you turn off the switch (helps prevent dieseling). If the plunger on the end of it is stuck in the off position, or if you don't have power going to it when you turn on the switch, it won't idle. It gets it power off the + side of the coil . . . that way it works with the ignition switch.

throttle cable fix

« Reply #249 on: October 02, 2005, 10:29:51 PM »
Smelly, what Zen said sounds like a very good prospect..  But,  I have another idea...  you got any bailer twine?  or any kind of good strong twine,  if you tied it to your carb linkage, and ran it through the tube and into the car, you could tie a loop in the other end of it, hook it around your big toe, and WALA, throttle fixed.  only thing is, in the winter time, you might want a pair of them "toe socks" , driving around bare footed might get cold. I guess one toe sock would work.... unless you had duel carbs.

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #250 on: October 04, 2005, 06:34:47 PM »
Thanks Zen,  I'll check that idle cutoff.  

I had an idea about the long throttle cable.  I'm going to tie a knot in it so that it  is shorter.

This may have some bearing on the idle.  when the choke is fully warmed up, the butterfly does not press hard against the stop.  If I use a finger and hold the choke full open against the stop it seems to idle better but when i let it got ..it sputters and goes to sleep.  S/C

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #251 on: October 20, 2005, 08:20:21 PM »
When I get my motor hot and shut it off.  I get bubbles seeping out  between were the carb connects to the intake manifold.  Is that normal?  Should you use gasket glue there?  SC

Offline Jason

• Ringgold Ga

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #252 on: October 21, 2005, 07:06:08 AM »
Try putting two gaskets under it. Your intake may be warped.

Offline Bugnut

• padded cell.

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #253 on: October 21, 2005, 10:50:09 PM »
This may be the longest topic I have seen to date.
I agree with the gasket idea or you could shave it down a bit  but it sounds like an extra gasket and a small amount of gasket sealer may be better for you.

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA
  • Liked: 2 times

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #254 on: October 22, 2005, 09:18:54 AM »
IF the intake or bottom of the carb is warped, the best thing to do is level it up.  Here's a trick I learned from a Swiss engineer when I was working on Swiss made Sulzer Weaving Machines to level up metal flanges:

Get a new sharpening stone . . . Unclaimed Baggage on North Main St. just passed Joe's recycling usually has 'em for two or three bucks (For those of you outside of the "triangle," that's in LaFayette.  They are about an inch thick by 2 or 3 inches wide and about 8 inches long.

Remove the carb and stuff an oily rag in the intake to keep metal dust out of it . . . you may want to get creative with magnets, or just not worry about it at all.  It probably won't be enough to hurt anything, but I try not to let anything but clean air and fuel get down the manifold.  That seems to help the engine last longer for some reason.  :wink:

Start with the course side of the rock.  With a little pressure, rub it on the intake manifold flange.  Use sort of an oval pattern trying to keep the whole flange covered.  After a few seconds look at it . . . is the entire surface shiny now?  If so, it's pretty flat.  Polish it up a little with fine side of the rock.  If it's just shiny on the edges near the bolt holes, it's warped.  Keep rubbing with the course side until the whole flange is shiny and then polish it up with the fine side.  If you do this right, you'll end up with a surface that is 100% flat.

Pull the studs out of the carb.  Put the stone on a workbench with the course side up and hold it in place.  Rub the carb around on the course side of the rock.  The carb is much softer than the intake, so be careful.  When you have the surface flat, flip the rock over and polish it a little with the course side.  Put the correct gasket with no sealer of any kind.  If you have two perfectly flat surfaces, it doesn't take much to seal them up.

8)

There was an error while liking
Liking...

About Us

Chattanooga's oldest and largest club for air-cooled and water-cooled Volkswagens, since 1998. Join Us

Follow Us

© 1998-2024 Scenic City Volks Folks