Forums

Topic: Help with Slow Starter  (Read 224459 times)

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #210 on: August 07, 2005, 07:41:52 PM »
Bolt ?  Are you sure it isn`t a round plug with a screw driver slot ? Should be a matching one on the same side but on the pulley end of the engine. If this is what you are looking at, these are the oil pressure relief  valve plugs. There are spring loaded pistons behind these plugs. They normally don`t leak much. I would leave them alone unless oil is pouring out which   I doubt .

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA
  • Liked: 2 times

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #211 on: August 08, 2005, 12:07:26 AM »
Quote from: "Gobusgo"
This post is only to point out the fact that there is an overly high number of replies to the original post, possibly even more than has ever been recorded in Volks Folks forums history.  Although original posts refer to a certain subject, at times the replies and secondary questions veer off the main topic, sometimes even morphing into another topic altogether, which, although this morphing is not against any rules, it can sometimes be confusing.

It's true that this post has long outgrown it's original topic "Help With A Slow Starter" . . . but don't try to stop it now.  It's taken on a life of it's own.  It's no longer a "post" or even a "thread" . . . it's a continuing saga.  It's kind'a like the old Batman series.  Everytime I read a new reply it's like watching another episode . . . and it always leaves me in suspence.   Will the starter keep on spinning?  Will Frank every show back up and hold the gas can?  Will the LaFayette Triangle be blown from the face of the earth?  Will Smelly Cat ever get to drive his bug?  Tune in next time to find out.  Same Tech Questions Forum.  Same Slow Starter Thread.

By the way, once this thread is "complete" (that will happen when the LaFayette Triangle explodes or Smelly Cat hits the road in a road worthy bug) I plan on turning it into a book.  It could end up being the next "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive."  Maybe "How to Keep Yourself Alive While Fixing Your Volkswagen" or "Some Volkswagens May Be Better Off Dead" . . . At any rate, with some cool illistrations it could be a best seller.  :lol:

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #212 on: August 08, 2005, 10:07:16 AM »
I to look forward to the next episode. I don`t think it is confusing because  when a different subjet is posted in the Tech section it is addressed with what info we can offer to help out. Then its back to the "Triangle" with the on going saga of Smelly Cat and others and their very interesting concepts of VW restoration. As far as the sarcasm, I hope everyone knows its all done in fun,at least on my end. I know there are folks out there that can not tolerate being kidded in the least. God only knows how many times I have been on the receiving end. If we have set some kind of record for postings and rampant sarcasm, could this be all bad ? Could it be that its the most popular ?   You tell me and if its not I will shut up and let the "Triangle" explode on its on and everybody can go   back to disscussing if we should wash our VWs on Saturday or Sunday. Im with you Zen. :lol:

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #213 on: August 08, 2005, 07:43:18 PM »
Your correct Gobusgo,  the thread is getting long in the tooth, but so am i. Since the title  "Help with slow starter" could describe how long it is taking to get the motor running and on the road , i figure it has a few more exciting posts left in here..

I think I said this already,  I could not see my previous post for some reason,  Censorship?    I changed the oil and noticed that what seemed to be fresh oil out of one of those brass oil pressure plugs.    I hope so,  I don't think I have the coconuts  to replace the rear crank seal.  Is 3 Quarts enough?  Being an ecological kind of guy,  I feel a little guilty dripping drops of oil all over the earth.  Do they make VW maxi pads  that you can stick on the tin and block to absorb oil.  If they don't ,  maybe this can be better invention than zippers.  S/c

Offline Gobusgo

• Club Member
  • In a bar in downtown Hell
    • http://www.borndigital.org/barefoot/pics/up-men-00289.jpg

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #214 on: August 08, 2005, 08:43:56 PM »
I don't want the thread to end.  I merely stated a fact that there was a whole lot of replies to a single post.  I may have been mistaken about the series of questions asked and answered under the title of one subject being confusing...but I could have been influenced by other forums that I visit and post on.  On some, if you post a question not pertaining to the original subject or post in the wrong area, your post is moved, corrected, or otherwise subjected to what is the equivalent of the teacher's red pen of death.  This is done all in the name of being straight and orderly.  I'm not saying that I want this forum to be that strict.  That's not what I want.  

And sarcasm is my cinnamon bun with my morning coffee...it sweetens the bitter taste in my mouth.  I like it.

I'll leave all those involved with the production of this continuing saga to do their jobs and not bother you again.  Don't worry though, I'll still read on to enrich my daily life.  Keep the drama coming! :salute:

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #215 on: August 08, 2005, 11:23:41 PM »
Travis, I don`t think this thread will end anytime soon . I look forward to the morning editions to see what has transpired during the night. Im sure you will not run out of cinnamon buns .
 :lol:

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #216 on: August 09, 2005, 12:50:33 AM »
Quote from: "Smelly_Cat"
Being an ecological kind of guy,  I feel a little guilty dripping drops of oil all over the earth.

. . . And you're wanting to put an old Bug on the road?    :lol:  

Here's the cure for that . . . Any VW parts place worth anything or any decent vendor at 'bout any VW show will have a little sicker you can put on your window - "VWs don't leak oil.  They just mark their spot."  Then when it drips oil on the ground, everyone will think it's cute.  'Cept maybe the little birdies and fuzzy cridders . . . maybe that's why they love to build nest in cooling system of air-cooled VWs.  Or maybe 'cause they love to build there nest in fans and vents so the air cooled engines can't cool, the engines leak and try to poision their water supply.  It's kind'a one of those "Which came first, the chicken or the egg" things isn't it.   8)

Seriously, a drop here and there is going to be REALLY hard to stop on a type 1 engine.  Real "leaks" should be addressed.  Even if it means pulling the engine out again.  Trust me, it's easier the second time.  By the time you've done it a hundred times, you'll find yourself pulling the engine just because you are bored.   :hippy2:

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #217 on: August 09, 2005, 09:24:48 PM »
Success,  well sort of.  I got some wire and routed the rubber fuel line away from move-vee spinny axels and things that get hot,  and just to be safe,  I used hose clamps instead of friction to connect the fuel filter to the hoses.  Always remember Safety First.  

I gave the existing keyed starter switch a 60 second inspection and learned this,  it will either make the starter go,  or if you wiggle the key in just the right place,  connect power to the ignition.  It is a one trick switch and will not do both at the same time.  Having decided that keyed  ignition switches are for weaker men,  I routed my remote starter dryer switch wire through the now un-used heater tube that runs behind the battery and  tapped to the starter,  Now,  all I have to do is reach around behind me and hold the  wire against POS battery terminal with one hand and push the remote starter button with my other hand  while pumping the thottle.  EASY no problem.  I just hope I don't conk out on a railroad crossing.

So there I was ,    back wheels on some red car ramps.  Ready to start the car , tires inflated, and someone took the gas can out to fill the lawn mower.  So I went looking for the gas can that by now must have at least 5% rain water in it since it was out in the yard for the last 2 days.

OK.. Contact,  ignition,  engine running,  barely, probaly due to the water.  Darn it,  I can't get the bug in 1st ,  grrrr  grrr "gear sounds" , I can't launch off the ramps.  I shut the motor, pop it in first,  push in clutch,  reach around and hold the wire to the battery, press switch, Roar.. the car lunges of the ramps like a dying red hippo while I'm turned around looking out my back window.   I scream and wet myself.  My wife looks at me sternly while she positions some landscape timbers in front  and behind the bug so I don't drive  either into the living room or back into her car.   Evidently,  the clutch kind of fused to the flywheel or something. The Hippo lurch must have broke it free.   I drove back in forth in the drive way and I can certify that 1st and reverse work.  TA DA  Pretty Exciting huh? S/C

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #218 on: August 10, 2005, 07:13:07 AM »
:D  At least the gas is watered down now!  Maybe the big explosion won't be quite as big and the south end of the Triangle will be left to carry on.   :lol:

Seriously though, you need a keyed switch.  If it were a 72 or later it would be much easier to change out, but it's not super duper hard to change out one on a 71.  The keyed switch will keep you facing forward and free up one hand while your trying to start it.

Just curious . . . I can't remember if we've discussed this and I have to go to work so I can't look back through the 14 or 15 pages of this thread right now . . . Do you brakes work?  If not, remove the gas can, sit it in the middle of the yard and let it fill the rest of the way up with water.  Remove the coil and throw it away.  Put the remote starter button back on the old dryer it came off of.  MAKE SURE you have the brakes working at 100%, then get some good gas in the can, a new coil and hook your starter button back up.  Before you get it moving under its own power, make SURE you can stop it!

I'll do about anything to get a vehicle to move . . . I've used duct tape, hose clamps, coat hangers, bailing wire, etc. used in all kinds of creative ways, but when it comes to brakes, I want them working correctly.  I've been in the situation where I stepped on the brake pedal and it was like stepping on a rotten grape . . . that's not a fun experiance at 70 MPH coming off the interstate onto a cloverleaf off-ramp in a loaded pickup towing a Beetle.  Since then I have believed in having a working emergency brake as well!

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #219 on: August 10, 2005, 08:41:04 PM »
Zen,  the problem with brakes is that you can't check them very well unless you are rolling around.  I can say this with authority

A.  I'm not leaking fluid
 and
B.  The brakes have been tested at speeds up to 2 miles per hour in my drive way.

I have replaced a brake line that runs through the cabin that was all rusty and it would squirt fluid on my right ankle by the accelerator.  All the cylinders have been bleed of old fluid and air.

It looks like the key switch has  a couple of allen screws holding it together so i'll rip it apart at a later date.   Have you got still got a wire cover?  Mike

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #220 on: August 13, 2005, 02:46:03 PM »
Well the Red bug is mobile.  I have driven at total of 100 feet, Since i'm on a hill I did not want to have to push it up hill if it conks out  so I'm staying close to the top.

I still got some spongy brakes that I need to figure out and I discovered that reverse pops out of gear under load (this seems bad)

The battery that came with the bug appears to have been shorted out by the rear seat.  It holds a charge but has 3 of 4 extra openings that I can add water to.  I stuffed some rags in the melted cracks on the top of the battery, but I don't think this was real good idea.   I think I made a Molitov cocktail out of a battery.  

Anybody ever had melt holes on the top of battery  and what is a good way to reseal the battery so acid does not slosh out.  ducktape? candle wax? driveway sealer? S/C

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #221 on: August 13, 2005, 06:08:25 PM »
One of the funniest sites I've ever seen happened back in the late 70s when I was taking Auto Mechanics at Walker Tech.  There was a guy that must have weighed well over 350 sitting in the back seat of his bug trying to install a slip-on seat cover on his front passenger seat.  All at once he screamed an obscenity, came out of the car like a world-class sprinter leaving the blocks, slapped at his rear end for a few seconds then yanked the bottom of the back seat out and threw it out of the shop.  All he could do then was watched it burn.  That was years before I got into VWs, but it made an impression.

Note to self: If you ever get one of them there bugs, make sure you put something 'tween the battery and seat springs.

By the way, don't mess around with a damaged battery.  Sulfuric Acid ain't nothing to play with!  :wink:

Offline Anthony

• In front of the computer

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #222 on: August 14, 2005, 07:47:12 AM »
Buy a new battery.

Are you using a one-person bleeder on the brakes, or is someone helping you? It's easy to suck air back in the system and it sounds like that may be happening.

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #223 on: August 14, 2005, 10:52:39 AM »
Pressure bleeding is the only way to bleed brakes.  Once you've pressure bleed 'em, you'll never go back.  You can buy a pressure bleeder, but you can improvise one from an old reservior cap, a valve stem and a bicycle pump.  Pressure bleeding gets ALL of the air AND all of the old fluid out of the system.

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #224 on: August 15, 2005, 10:12:20 PM »
Pressure bleeding? what is that?  is it like bleeding the lines while you get yelled at?

Here is the Smelly Cat patented technique,    First,  I ask my wife to help,  but she is still mad at me for buying this this  rusty red driveway ornament.   So then  find a kid who is not doing anything constructive, like  playing a video game or watching cartoon network,   and it put him or her  in the driver seat,  then I show how the middle pedal is the brakes.   Then I say pump the pedal 3 times and push  it to the floor as hard as you can.  Then I close my eyes,  loosen the brake cylinder screw and shoot brake oil all over the place,  tighten the screw.  then I repeat.

I tried using a fish tank air hose on the screw and a baby food jar to collect the fluid, but that seemed not to work as well as the "Blast the wheel well"  technique.

As for the battery, I'm gonna borrow a face shield mask from work and  use a solder iron and melt some plastic in the battery cracks.   When I charge the battery I see little water bubbles popping out the cracks.

Back to the OIL leak,  Is there any  place other  than the push rod tubes that would leak oil on the right exhaust pipe.  I stuck my head under the bug while it was running,  (I looked until I was aphyxiated)  and did not see any big leaks around the tubes>   SC

There was an error while liking
Liking...

About Us

Chattanooga's oldest and largest club for air-cooled and water-cooled Volkswagens, since 1998. Join Us

Follow Us

© 1998-2024 Scenic City Volks Folks