Forums

Topic: Help with Slow Starter  (Read 224454 times)

Offline 71SuperBee

• Cohutta,ga

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #180 on: July 23, 2005, 10:55:34 PM »
My firing order is this, 1,4,3,2 that is my firing order. Start with the longest wire and go from there.  I am not for sure where your rotor button is setting on at rest.

Aaron

Offline Anthony

• In front of the computer

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #181 on: July 24, 2005, 10:38:54 AM »
First, remove your dist. cover. Find the notch on the top edge of the distributor body. This marks where the #1 cylinder fires. Match that up with the plug wire that sits over the mark when the cover is on. That's your #1 plug wire. Attach it to the right rear (as in rear of the car) plug. Now going clockwise around the distributor you'll have the 4, 3, and 2 wires. They go, in order, to the left front, left rear, and right front plugs. Good to follow the wires with your fingers from one end to the other. If you just eyeball it, sometimes you wind up looking at the wrong wire because they crossed behind something.

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #182 on: July 25, 2005, 06:04:10 PM »
Hey thanks for the wire setups/

I cant believe how well the bug runs.  I can idle with out goose-ing the throttle every 10 seconds. whoopee.

Now the bad news,  I have not put in the thermistat or the bottom tin piece and now  notice a steady oil drip when  running   from the right side.. sigh.  I need to install a self feeding oil tank to keep it full of oil.  OR  I think I need to put in some of those spring loaded push rod tubes.

Anybody got an opinion on the push rod tubes.  Nylon is like 19 bucks for 8,  while aluminum ones are $53.  I need to check it out with a flash light  see if I can wrap some duck tape in there.

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #183 on: July 26, 2005, 09:39:45 AM »
Yes indeed I was on vacation.  Linda and I went to Tucson Az to visit and do a little picking with old friends. It was nice to breath clean air for a change. We felt good until we got north of Birmingham coming home .Yuk!!  It wasn`t any hotter in Tucson than it is here with the 7% humidty. We saw a few Bugs and Buses and a lot of 50`s and 60`s American iron all original and in great condition running around . No rust out there. When was the last time you sat at a traffic light and had a unrestored damn near mint 1959 Oldsmobile 98 conv. pull up beside you with that 8 zillion cubic inch V8 purring like a kitten. Dang thing must have been 20 feet long. Talk about flashbacks!  :lol:

Offline cindy

• Club Member
  • Harrison, TN

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #184 on: July 26, 2005, 10:55:50 AM »
Glad you're back.  We've missed you on the board and at the meeting.
 :)

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #185 on: July 26, 2005, 12:44:26 PM »
Thanks , Glad to be back except for this weather.  Linda and I needed this little break and to let the board regain some kind of sanity from my antics.  :wink:

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA
  • Liked: 2 times

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #186 on: July 26, 2005, 06:46:00 PM »
Quote from: "Smelly_Cat"
Anybody got an opinion on the push rod tubes.  Nylon is like 19 bucks for 8,  while aluminum ones are $53.  I need to check it out with a flash light  see if I can wrap some duck tape in there.

You asked for it, so here's my opinion . . . if you are going off roading, take a couple of spring loaded push rod tubes (and maybe a couple of extra push rods too).  If you bottom out on a stump or sling a rock up into a tube, you can stop a massive leak and get out of the woods with them.  Other than that type of use, toss 'em in the garbage.

Pull the engine, pull the heads, stretch the old tubes, clean them, check for holes and cracks and put them back in with good seals.  If you have any question about the condition of the tubes, replace them with new ones.  Keep the seams up, make sure the tubes are straight and the seals in the proper place and torque the head down properly using the tightening sequince in the Bentley manual.

If you use duct tape, make sure it's the high temp. kind.    :bounce:

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #187 on: July 28, 2005, 09:22:03 PM »
Zen,   I just put the motor back in last week. Jimmy Crickets.  I want a second opinion.   This is what I  really need to hear... Nylon tubes are great!  better than OEM.  Its a wonder why VW did not install spring loads on all the bugs.   I really want to go for a ride in my bug.   There is already one metal replacement tube under ther so I need to see if it is loose or something.   I read that the tubes displace alot of heat and I can see that plastic tubes won't wick the heat like aluminum.   If its is a cracked tube  and not a seal ,   it would be great if I can wrap some tape around it.  duct tape matches the color of the  block.
[/img]

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #188 on: July 29, 2005, 08:36:06 AM »
Why didn`t VW use spring loaded tubes ?  Because they leak. Why do your tubes leak ?  Maybe because they are 30 + years old. You had the engine out, why didn`t you fix them at that time?  Matching color duct tape AH !   Martha Stewart would be proud of you :roll:

Offline vwherb

• Club Member
  • McDonald, TN
    • http://www.vwherb.com

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #189 on: July 29, 2005, 11:00:07 AM »
If you want a 3rd opinion, do like Zen suggested and toss the spring loaded tubes. You won't regret this advise.

If you do it right the first time you won't have to go back and do it again. :?

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #190 on: July 29, 2005, 11:50:10 PM »
I want a 4th opinion.
Spring loaded tubes rule .
 And BugTech,  if you had not been so selfish by going on vacation,  maybe you would have been here on this forum to keep me from doing stupid things like not replacing  them pushrod tubes. so there  (rasberry sound).

I'll slide under there and see if I can tell whats leaking Saturday
This may be a job for a 2nd miracle fix it.. I call.. JP Weld.  Which, by the way, is also a nice gray color and will match the engine block too.

Thanks for the Advice  S/C

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA
  • Liked: 2 times

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #191 on: July 30, 2005, 12:36:59 AM »
OK, you win . . . IF you have a push rod tube that is leaking because it's damaged or the seal is bad and you are not in a place where you can pull the engine and FIX it, you can possibly stop the leak or slow it down a little with a spring loaded tube.  But it's a very temporary fix.  The leak WILL be back.  I've seen the cheap nylon tubes warp and twist into all kinds of shapes, and if it's not round, it's hard to seal it with and O-ring.

I don't remember where I saw them, but I have seen some two piece tubes that were adjustable.  Instead of being spring loaded, they were threaded and had a jam nut so you could run them out and then lock them in place with the correct pressure on the seals.  They had double O ring seals.  Those would probably work about as good as stock tubes . . . but for what they cost, you could buy stock tubes, a seal kit and new pistons/cylinders . . . throw in 4 exhaust valves and a little elbow grease and you could have a new top end for about the same price as fixing the leak the "easy" way.

Personally I'd use the duct tape.  If it's still gonna leak, no need to spend a lot of time and money on it.   :wink:

Offline 71SuperBee

• Cohutta,ga

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #192 on: July 30, 2005, 06:58:54 AM »
Smelly,

Would you please do us all a favor before you catch the thing on fire? Don't put anything that could melt of catch fire "ie" "duct tape" We would hate to have to visit you in the burn unit at Hutchenson.  :lol:  Anyway the stock push rod tubes are made the way they are supposed to be, to my knowledge there was never any bug that was made with adjustable or SPRING loaded tubes. I had that ideal too when i went to rebuild my engine and after David and herb getting on me I started looking a bit, and they cost more, and the o rings are bad to go out. They are more for show but I wouldn't have em. See ya smelly.

Aaron :lol:

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #193 on: July 30, 2005, 09:52:02 AM »
Good Morning,  . after a lovely time at 6 Flags over GA,  spending a days pay. meeting interesting people in 70 to 120 minute que lines,  getting beat to death on rollar coasters that are designed for bodies 5'8" or less,   enjoying refreshing $3.50 cokes,  then trudging a torrential down pour from the Scream Machine to our car,  ending with a relaxing  drive  thru  Friday evening Atlanta traffic....   (Maybe 6 Flags would like me as thier spokesman instead of the dancing Grandpa they presently use )    

I slid my worn broken body under the car this morning.  

The number 1 push rod tube has a orange rubber washer that is no longer en-circling its designated tube at the head side.   Any body got a trick to seal that? I'm thinking that cutting small strips of bike innertube and wrapping  it around broke unsealed end.

Does the oil drool from the heads back to the sump or are the tubes plumb full of oil when the motor runs?

The number 2 push rod tube has a fancy replacment tube, Just like Zen described  .  I cant tell if it is leaking because I think the #1 tube is blowing oil all over it.  Once everyone in my hood wakes up and I start hearing lawn mowers,  I'll crank up my little scream machine for a visual.  Some how sticking my head under a running VW that splurts hot molten oil
does not seem so un-pleasant after day a 6 Flags.  S/c

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #194 on: July 30, 2005, 11:22:29 AM »
Forget  the inner tube thing. If you are bound and determined not to replace tube with OEM, get one of the metal adjustable tubes. At least it will slow the leak down for awhile. Don`t forget that you will need to remove the rocker arm and push rod. Throw a rag around the old tube and jerk it down. It should fold up and fall right out. You will have to re-adjust the valves after you put things back together.

There was an error while liking
Liking...

About Us

Chattanooga's oldest and largest club for air-cooled and water-cooled Volkswagens, since 1998. Join Us

Follow Us

© 1998-2024 Scenic City Volks Folks