Forums

Topic: Help with Slow Starter  (Read 224451 times)

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA
  • Liked: 2 times

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #165 on: June 28, 2005, 06:21:42 PM »
Quote from: "Ret.Bugtech"
Zen, What do you want to bet "Smelly'" doesn`t even have a Gen.strap left ? Oh well, there is always the Ole Maytag out back.

SC, if you don't have a generator strap, I've got one you can have.  Better get one on there if its missing.  I think the Godfather has been digging 'round in his Dasher parts collection and warming up his throwing arm.  When he fires up the Volvo and heads south, we are both gonn'a be in for it if your fan shroud isn't properly installed, the generator strapped down and the belt properly tensioned.   :lol:  At least he will pass your house first . . . maybe he'll run out of stuff to throw by the time he gets to my house and sees my "projects."  :wink:

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #166 on: June 28, 2005, 06:32:59 PM »
Zen,  I will look at the fan shroud screws.  I think the wire cover would be neat to have. Is it like 10 bucks or something?.  I kinda want to remove the whole shroud thing and see if there are any treasures or acorns, mice etc.   Can the shroud come off while it is on the car.  Maybe with it off I can get at the head lugs.    Here is what i have under the hood.  If you see any thing missing let me know. SC

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #167 on: June 28, 2005, 10:25:07 PM »
Good God Almighty !  I think everything in the Triangle is right there be fore our eyes, a virtual collection of goodies not seen by man nor beast in many Eons. :lol:  :lol:

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #168 on: June 29, 2005, 07:44:13 AM »
Yep, you can pull the shroud off with it in the car, but you have to remove the deck lid and the deck lid hinge supports first.  I suppose you "could" go ahead and remove the intake and head tin and get at the top lug bolts, but if you are going that far, it's probably easier to just pull the engine . . . it's not as hard as you might think.

Looks like you are missing the fresh air box and gas tank . . . you will probably have to get real familiar with a good color coded wiring diagram before it's over with.  Looks like it's suffering from 30+ years of non-electricians working on the electricals.   :wink:

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #169 on: June 29, 2005, 05:57:48 PM »
I must have parked to close to my house. I think The red bug has infected it.  My house got jealous of all the attention the bug has been getting and broke a  pipe so i'd spend some time with her.,  I have a nice waterfall under the upstairs shower,  its pretty and I'd like to keep it but the carpet can't absorb much more.  I have to put on my plumber pants today.  

Did I tell ya that my beetle has its own eco-system?
 I have a colony sea monkeys growing in the stagnant water in my fuel tank well from the fresh air/water intake.  They are real fun to watch swim but when they fly, they bite.  Bad sea monkeys.  SC

Offline 71SuperBee

• Cohutta,ga

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #170 on: June 29, 2005, 06:17:12 PM »
I see a foot rest....  WOW. Hey you going to price me that wiring cover deal ZEN?

Aaron

Offline Smelly_Cat

fan shroud is off

« Reply #171 on: July 13, 2005, 09:52:32 PM »
Hi everyone,  I got the bug on some ramps and I took the fan shroud off.  It was full of dryer lint and acorns.   pretty nasty.  OK the heater system is all rusted out, so i don't need all the the little flaps in the fan shroud.  Is it ok to rip out all the little flaps and things in the there?  it looks like the flaps close when you want air to the heaters.  Wouldn't you want all the air to blow on the heads all the time?  There is a kind of coil thing below the right heads under the tin.  It looks like it opens the flaps or something when the motor gets hot.  what does that do?  and does it need to still do it?
If that coil goes bad I bet it would cook a motor.

here is a picture . I hope it posts clearly

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #172 on: July 14, 2005, 01:43:48 AM »
Hey SC, I would pull the engine out.  You really need to get all that stuff cleaned out of the fins.  It would be easier to do with the engine out and head tin off . . . and you could get at the top head studs to torque them down while your at it.

That "coil" thing under the engine is the thermostat.  When the engine is cold it closes the flaps.  As the engine warms up it opens them.  Do you really need it?  Do you need the flaps?  Ask 100 people and you'll probably get 100 different answers.  Might as well go ahead and throw my 2 cents in to start with.

If it's on there and it works, I would leave the thermostat and flaps. The engine will warm up faster.  It probably won't make much differance in the warmer months, but in the winter it will.

If the thermostat doesn't work, I'd leave the flaps anyway.  They should be spring loaded to the opened position.  I've heard the help direct and properly distribute the air.

Are they an absolute must have?  Most air-cooled VWs running around in the south don't have 'em, so you "can" get by without them . . . but VW spent years . . . 4 decades in fact . . . developing the cooling system that came on your bug.  On things like this, I figure they would not put it on there if they didn't really need to.  If you leave off the thermostat and flaps you save a few dollars per car.  If you build over a million of them a year, you're talkin' 'bout some real money!  Just something to think about . . .

Offline Smelly_Cat

the Great Motor Pull

« Reply #173 on: July 15, 2005, 09:58:00 PM »
Today I decided to take out the motor.  I pulled all the wires  gas line  etc.  took off the top bolts and the botton bolts. tried to pull the motor out , The motor was stuck the tranny.  I called Zen and he said that was weird.  I checked for JP weld along the  tranny/ engine crack put it was clean.   I jacked the motor up and down trying to loosen it.  then I heard a clang under the bug. A big old brace fell from the motor.  Evidently,  I
un-did the tranny mount bracket and not the bottom motor bolts
(Mesosmart).  It took a half hour to get the tranny brace back in.  I don't know why.. but I could not get the threads to bite.  OK ,  so I found the 2 bottom engine bolts.  Started lowering and wiggleing , lowering and wiggleing.  I got the motor almost down and I heard,  twang boink.  I broke and ripped off the oil sensor.  It had a little brass/ copper wire to it that I over looked. Shnizzle.  Now I have to easy out the threads.  Not a big deal , just a deal I didn't need.  NOW the motor is on  ground........ Whoppee.  I took off the tin and found like 11 acorns and the crack between the 2 heads was LOADED with hair, string, and gunk.   I think my  lawn mower is cleaner.    

SMILE...  I am so proud, my first motor.  Should I pass around cigars?

What do I need to now?  is there some thing you do when the motor is off?  I plan  to torq up the head bolts and set the valves.  I garden hosed the crud and used a wire  and a hacksaw blade to clean the space between the fins.  Oh,  I dug out the rust in the preheater pipes that run along the intake manifold to warm it.  I also punched a hole in the pipe.  shnizzlle.  Now I need some exhaust epoxy

Also, the shaft out of the tranny has a wiggle to it.  Is it easy to change the bearing or do tranny shafts like to wiggle?  Thanks   SC

Please Let me know what

Offline 71SuperBee

• Cohutta,ga

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #174 on: July 16, 2005, 09:33:11 AM »
Hey smelly,

If I were you I would also replace the clutch and gas cable before you put the engine back in. The are inexpensive and easy with the engine out.. Did you label the wires and where they go? Especially the coil hots? Always label items unless you can remeber everything ok?

Aaron

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #175 on: July 21, 2005, 09:14:49 PM »
Victory!, after at least 12 hours of threading wire and spraying carb cleaner.  Yes. you guessed it ..  the fuel line has at least a 1MM passage from end to end.  Ya.. my finger hurt,  but they are stronger and macho'er now.  I have begun writing a book about my quest and on the many ways to thread wire through a small metal tube.  If NASA attached the heat tiles to the shuttle with dried out gas varnish, they would never have had any problems

I plan to re-attach the motor to the tranny this week end or friday if time permits.  stay tuned.  Hey Zen what about that wire cover you talked about? Did Aaron buy them all?  

FYI , A guy at work just  bought a bunch a VW parts .  He is in Trion. 10minutes south or Laf.  (I think it is within the LaFayette triangle) He has a bunch of used and new  carbs, dist's  lights, Wheels,  mirrors and other junk.. that he wants to sell at reasonable prices.  I'll ask him if he wants me to post his number .  S/C

Offline Jason

• Ringgold Ga

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #176 on: July 22, 2005, 12:31:04 PM »
Please post his number or directions to his house  I'm always looking for a deal 8)

Offline 71SuperBee

• Cohutta,ga

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #177 on: July 22, 2005, 07:19:58 PM »
Hey Jason, I still want that hood man. U still have it dont' ya? I am trying to pay up some items then I can pay ya for the hood ok? Hey what happend to David? Is he on vacation?

I am kinda worrin about him   :(

Smelly you got a super like mine that is kool. I just changed the oil in mine for the 1st time since I reabuilt the engine..

Aaron

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #178 on: July 22, 2005, 07:20:28 PM »
Jason,  I'll get with him .  I took a 1/2 day today and did not see him.

Just to brag. Yes.. the Motor is back in the bug, No the gas line was not cleaned out.   I cut my losses and ran a second pipe under the car on the passenger side.   I am beat.  those motors go out alot easier than they go in.  I'm sure first times are the hardest
I need to double check the wires and I should fire it up Sat.  Say a prayer for me. S/c

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #179 on: July 23, 2005, 06:23:29 PM »
Ah um,  does anybody know how the spark wires go?   I forgot to mark them
SC

There was an error while liking
Liking...

About Us

Chattanooga's oldest and largest club for air-cooled and water-cooled Volkswagens, since 1998. Join Us

Follow Us

© 1998-2024 Scenic City Volks Folks