Forums

Topic: Help with Slow Starter  (Read 224447 times)

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #135 on: May 29, 2005, 12:31:00 PM »
Good, as It should be. How did you set your timing ? :thumbs-up:

Offline Smelly_Cat

HEAD BOLT screws loose

« Reply #136 on: May 30, 2005, 10:57:03 AM »
Help
Its raining again,  so I but a tarp on the drive way and a tarp on top of me and popped the valve cover.  The valves on number 1 are tight at top dead center  with the rotor on #1 wire,  I got a socket wrench on one of the head bolts and it was not very tight but it wasn't hand tight loose.  From the looks of things,  I have to remove the valve rocker thing  and that will let me torque 4 bolts.   2 of the other bolts appear to be behind the intake manafold and 2 others may be inside the air flow tin.  

Can I do this with the motor on the car.  Is there an easy way?

Or yes I have to remove the manifold and the tin and the rocker thing

Is there a tip or two?   Thanks SC

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #137 on: May 30, 2005, 11:34:40 AM »
Pull the engine if you are going to torque all head nuts. You will hate yourself  if you try this in the car. You could try torquing just the lower 4 . I have been known to get away this.  There are 2 diff. head stud sizes. 8mm torques to 18 foot pds and the 10mm torques to 25 ft pds. You need to know which one you have. If you get it wrong ,you can break 8mm.

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #138 on: May 30, 2005, 12:55:23 PM »
Mr Bugtech
8mm  10mm ,  is that the bolt shaft diameter?
How do I tell?  the  bolt head is a 15 MM I think,  Its a dual port 1600 cc

I just torqued the 4 bolts  under the rocker  at about 19lb or 20lb just to be safe,  My torque wrench is not too precise.  I had to loosen all 4 valves so they would wiggle a little when the pistons were TDC,  I think the head is not all the way set in.

After I put it all back together,  the engine  ran great.  Better than ever.   Started right up, amazing, astounding   no dub dub shush shush dub dub shush shush.

I feel bad about not getting all 8 bolts.  Taking the motor out seems scary and heavy.   Would one of those bendy knuckle socket shaft adapters let me get at the ones with the motor on the car?  The ones under the manifold seem the hardest but the ones on the ends might be tighten-able.  do you agree?

S/C

Offline 71SuperBee

• Cohutta,ga

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #139 on: May 30, 2005, 05:02:20 PM »
David,

I just now seen your post and I was thinking that you was talking to me. On the "how did you set your timing" So I took the timing light and turned the dial to 32 degrees, and revved it up and advanced it till the red mark was right in line with the break of the case. Umm was wandering something I readjusted the vavles today and ran her down the road. Everything ran fine except it seem to have a tick in it. Not loud really and not valves rattling up a hill.. It just seemed to have a tick tick tick in the engine.. IS this normal and should i readjust the valves? I set them all to .006.. Please let me know. Everything else seems fine.. And I actually think this is not a problem. Let me know thanks
   Aaron

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #140 on: May 30, 2005, 06:57:41 PM »
The stud itself is either 8mm or 10mm. The nut is 15mm on both. You just can not get to the top nuts. The bottom head nuts seem to be the worse about coming loose.

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #141 on: May 30, 2005, 07:05:40 PM »
Aaron , You probley have one valve that is a "tick" loose. Don`t sweat it unless it changes. I would drive it a while to let everything settle in ,Then re-adjust. Maybe a 100 miles or so. You need to change the oil in about 600 miles. You did good Kiddo. I didn`t know you had a advance light. Good show ! =D>

Offline 71SuperBee

• Cohutta,ga

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #142 on: May 30, 2005, 07:16:58 PM »
Thank you david, I don't have a advance light but my boss at work that I used to work for has a big garage and that is where i have been working. And When I adjusted the valves at your house and when i crank it up no tick.. I didn't know I could run them for a while then readjust.. I will drive it for about 100 miles then readjust, and change the 20 50 oil in it now back to 20 50 but fresh in 600 miles thanks man.
O and on the dead spot. WOW. There isnt' one... I love that dizzy, and i see you made it to the "old timer" status . lol.. On the remark above on the when i got it from your house. I meant that I let it idle a little while then today readjusted the valves. I thought that is what I was supposed to do. Not biggie. I will adjust them after I drive it a little and make sure that all of them are about the same tighten ness. That is rough doing that on the floor. WOW. I was amazed. Thanks again. I will drive her for a bit then let ya know... oh and as far as the tranny goes
it has about 1 inch or 2 of freeplay. " I am not sure of the exact inches but it goes as far as you showed me on your hand.. " And the tranny shifts SOOO smooth thanks on the great job with the bottom end and the tranny... I love it...
  Aaron

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA
  • Liked: 2 times

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #143 on: May 30, 2005, 11:56:52 PM »
Quote from: "Ret.Bugtech"
The stud itself is either 8mm or 10mm. The nut is 15mm on both.

The studs for your fuel pump, distributor clamp, generator stand and lots of others are 8mm.  They use a 13mm wrench, and the head nuts should use a 15mm wrench . . . but the 8mm head studs have the same threads.  Take a nut off of your fuel pump and see if it will thread onto your head studs . . . if it will, you have 8mm studs . . . if it's too small, they are 10mm.

Offline Smelly_Cat

What makes a backfire?

« Reply #144 on: June 15, 2005, 08:23:48 PM »
Hey everyone.  Sorry I've been so reclusive lately.  those dang floor boards have been a pain in me arse.   I ended up banging out some tin.  I still have not riveted the things in but the passenger one holds the battery so I'm cool for a while.

The fuel line also remains clogged but I'll whip that horse in time

What makes a backfire?  
I can start the engine easy now that the head is tight but it has become a fire breather and it is real pretty at night with the orange flames and all,  but I don't thing Adolf entended fire and smoke to go out the air filter.

What do you think?  SC

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #145 on: June 15, 2005, 11:28:26 PM »
Hmmmmm, Could be the LaFayette Mushrooms everyone is talking about. :lol:  :lol:

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA
  • Liked: 2 times

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #146 on: June 16, 2005, 12:55:28 AM »
Quote from: "Ret.Bugtech"
Hmmmmm, Could be the LaFayette Mushrooms everyone is talking about.

I've gotten rid of the Mushrooms.  They are history.  Things in the LaFayette Triangle will be back to normal soon.

SC, are you going to be home Saturday?  I should be able to get up there to your place then is you still want some help . . . not that I will be any help on getting your backfiring straightened out, but I am VERY experianced in putting out gas fires in the engine compartment.  I even have a little experiance putting out electrical fires . . . it's easier than gas fires, just don't touch the wire while the insulation is still burning and the wire is glowing red.   :whistle:

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #147 on: June 16, 2005, 07:12:04 AM »
Zen,  I plan on visiting my Pop this weekend in FWB Fla, Its gonna be a tough journey and I will have to deal with all that sun and sand and fresh air, but I'm willing to endure the bikini's for fathers day. I still want to enlist your aid in resurrecting this frankenbeetle.  If the plans change I'll post ya.

Did you get a new motor in Homer yet?  The roads in Lafayette are missing the Majesty of the red and blue bus. Although the roads seem a bit less slippery with homer on dry dock.

The pulley timing mark on my bug is like a 1/2 CM to the right  of the engine block crack.  It seemd to run good there so  I was locked the Dist there.  bad idea huh?

Bugtech,  I dont' have any mushrooms but some of the acorns behind the fan shroud have sprouted,  I am hoping the roots will hold the car together and the shade may keep the engine cooler

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #148 on: June 16, 2005, 08:18:03 AM »
Acorns sprouting ?   Does this mean that you can now assume the title of
  "Shade Tree Mechanic" or "The Village Smithy" (what ever that poem title was)  :lol:  :lol: ?

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #149 on: June 25, 2005, 11:59:13 AM »
Well Im back from FLA,  it was pure hell,  90 degrees, gentle breeze blowing in from the gulf.  Cooler full of beer, nothing to do but fish, eat,and drink and repeat. Real glad to be back.

Ok, retimed the dist,   Now the groove mark is about at 11oclock to the engine crack.  runs Ok,  won't idle well but the back fires have reduced some.  The little lens that was in the timing gun was all dirty so I opened the light and cleaned the strobe lens. Now I have a nice clean strobe lens but the little wire that goes into the stobe bulb broke.  Crikey. I busted my timing light.... fudge

WHile the timing light is is broken, The Generator light in the dash  is on. its pretty and red and is always staring at me.  the fan belt is real  loose. and that is with out any washers between the 2 pulley halves. I only have 2 thin washer spacers. I went to o' Riellys and got a fat belt  to replace the skinny belt,  Now the belt is too tight .. wacky huh?  I  have not  tried the fat tight belt out yet, but a VW guy at work named Jason said a loose belt would make the generator not work.  
Any one have any extra generator washers?

I'm also looking for my multi-meter. I think I will press  the 2 generator wires against my tongue, Thats a good way to check 9 volt batterries.   I should be able to see if the generatore is generating doing that.  ANy IDeas?

There was an error while liking
Liking...

About Us

Chattanooga's oldest and largest club for air-cooled and water-cooled Volkswagens, since 1998. Join Us

Follow Us

© 1998-2024 Scenic City Volks Folks