Forums

Topic: Help with Slow Starter  (Read 224379 times)

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #105 on: May 12, 2005, 09:32:42 AM »
NO COMMENT !!!!    Zen ,Better take a torque wrench to at least tighten the head nuts behind the rockers.

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #106 on: May 14, 2005, 09:52:10 AM »
05/14  Had a busy week.  The motor actually runs now.  maybe a little unsteady but she seems to start on command,  What could have been the problem.  Here is what I think contributed to my un-startable VW

#1,  4 wheeler gas tank on roof,  I think it was air locking or did not have enough pressure,  not feeding gas,  or making a vacuum pressure that was stopping gas flow.   I got a electric pump and stuck a hose in my lawn mowers gas can.  The clear filter filled up completely with fuel,  in the past it looked more like an IV drip from a hospital.  

#2   Crazy sparking points,   While my wife was not looking ,  I stole her nail file and gave the points a nice manicure.   A nice even spark was my reward. My punishment is I have to locate a new nail file for my beloved.

#3  1/2 inch layer of varnish in the float Bowl.  This in combo with the 4 wheeler gas tank was not likely to lead to success

#4   Ignition switch has a dead spot in it, that cuts the power to the coil when I'm not looking.  I bet I have spun this motor over an hour with no power to the coil.

#5  That big brass air bypass screw on the Carb.  It seems that  it was helpful in getting the air and gas to explode,  but who can tell?

#6  I wasted a lot of time taking a good starter apart (2 times) when I could have been fixing the above  problems

Special Thanks To Bugtech, Zen and Jason ,  for never giving up on me.  (Well, maybe you did give up on me)   but you did not abandon me.  your words of wisdom, experience, and encouragement  help a lot.

Zen,  when you get a chance, It would be great to get you over here for a class on bug motor adjusting.

SC

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #107 on: May 14, 2005, 12:43:40 PM »
Ah !  Good,  Can I assume that you are now considering constructing a bracket to mount your lawnmower/elec.pump to the side of  your bug for attempted future ventures out into the real world ?  The whole VW world holds its breath in anticipation of the comimg of this wonderful event and with The Most Rev. Father Zen being present to sprinkle Holy Fuel, There will be Great Rejoicing in the streets of LaFayette and not let us forget the Spirits of the VWs  that have gone before us and have past from our view .:lol:  :lol:

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #108 on: May 14, 2005, 03:53:46 PM »
Since the lawn mower has wheels,  I tied it to my bumper so  I  can pull my gas  around.  But the lawnmower gas tank was too small and i ran out of gas.

I thought I'd run a pipe to the front of the car.  Has any one replaced the fuel line that runs from the front to the back Before?  The PREViOUS OWNER  disconnected all the the tank hoses etc.  So I'm Winging it.  I think the fuel line pops out of the center  chamber on the passenger side about at the wheel.  There is a hole with a rubber grommet there now. I took off the little panel that is in the center near the battery.   I think the fuel line is down there somewhere with the shifter knuckle thing.   ANy body have a Link to how to do this?  The guy who wrote my Haynes book forgot to put this info in .  SC

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA
  • Liked: 2 times

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #109 on: May 14, 2005, 06:55:59 PM »
Yep, SC, you're on the right track.  There is pipe that enters the center tunnel on the top of the frame head and runs through the tunnel to the rear of the car and exits through the top of the driver's side frame horn.

There's lots of "stuff" inside that tunnel.  Not only the shifter rod and fuel line in there, there are lots of metal tubes hidden away inside.  Tubes for your clutch cable, accelerator cable, heater and defroster cables and couple of tubes for you emergency brake cables.  When Ferdinand Porsche designed the little critter back in the 1930s, he figured all that stuff would outlast the life of the car so he sealed it up nice and tight and went on with designing the rest of the car.  The only thing he really gave “access” to in there (and you have to be Inspector Gadget to take advantage of the “access”) is the shift rod.  Problem is, he did such a good job with the rest of the car that they have lasted long enough for us to sometime experience “problems” with the pipes and tubes that meant to outlast the car.  The reason you won’t find any instructions replacing your fuel line in a Haynes manual is that if you have the tools, skills and knowledge to replace the fuel line, you’re way past needing the help of the Haynes manual.  I think I’ve heard before that an official VW Shop manual has instructions for cutting into the tunnel and repairing stuff.

If the fuel pipe is leaking, it has to be replaced.  If it’s just stopped up (from the description of the inside of your carburetor, I’ll BET MONEY yours is!) a better option is to clean it out.  You’ll need an old accelerator cable, several spray cans of carb cleaner, an air compressor, and lots of time and patients.  Pull the tank out and start spaying a little cleaner in the pipe, poking at it with the cable and blowing on it with compressed air.  Continue this process for about an hour . . . and repeat it every evening for the next couple of weeks.  When it’s cleaned out, start cleaning on the tank . . . if it’s in the carb and in the fuel pipe, you can bet there’s a big layer of that goo in the bottom of the tank.  I’m lazy.  I just find another tank with no goo in it.  When you reinstall the tank, hook it to the pipe on top of the frame head with BRAND NEW HIGH QUALITY fuel hose.  The good kind with the braided reinforcement stuff on the outside.  It’s metric.  The stuff at AutoZone is a standard size.  It “kind’a” works, but you don’t want something that “kind’a” works holding back 10 gallons of gas.  Don’t ask me why I know this.  Use the same hose at the back of the car.  Make sure you have a grommet in the tin where the fuel line comes into the engine compartment, or better yet, use some lamp parts and high temp. silicone to keep the tin from rubbing through the pipe (directions are in Bob Hoover’s Tulz series . . . there’s a link to them somewhere on the forum.  Read the one about VW fires.)  If you want to run a filter, put it under the tank or where the pipe comes out of the frame horn at the back.  Don’t put it between the fuel pump and carb.

Offline Anthony

• In front of the computer

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #110 on: May 15, 2005, 09:06:25 AM »
If I can butt in on the subject of braided fuel hose...
I've seen way too many braided fuel hoses that look great on the outside bust because they're rotten under the braiding. I'd rather use a naked hose because you can see any cracks. Ask for fuel injection hose, it's heavy duty to deal with the extra pressure. The right size is 7mm, not 1/4 inch, right?

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #111 on: May 15, 2005, 10:21:27 AM »
Good point on the braided hose Anthony!  It DOES go bad before it looks bad!   :shock:   I use it, but I do check it often.  I'll squeeze it and bend it around, and remove it and look at the condition of the end of the hose every few months.  If it starts to feel stiff or cracks start showing up in the ends it's GOT TO BE REPLACED . . . Unless you're a pyromaniac!

I was thinking (we're in trouble now!) that the correct size is 5mm for carbs and 7mm for FI . . . could be very wrong.  Whatever size it is, I pick it up at shows for a couple of bucks a foot . . . I try to keep 5 or 6 feet of it on hand at any given time . . . cause like Anthony said, it WILL go bad and still "look" good.  Sometimes I replace mine just cause I can't remember when I changed it last.  I've you had ever looked in the rear view and seen flames you would know why.   :whistle:

SC, I re-read your last post . . . I missed it the first time, (thought you were talking 'bout the fuel hose) but it sounds like the fuel pipe in the tunnel is either missing all together, or broken off somewhere in the tunnel.   #-o  Do you have the gas tank out of it?  If so, is the fuel pipe there at the front of the car?

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #112 on: May 15, 2005, 12:32:57 PM »
Zen,  The PO ( previous owner) sort of sold the car mid restoration or,  after beginning it,  said OhMyGosh,  retreat,  find a sucker,  and sell.  He sure was lucky I came along.  After I dragged it home,  I had to hack saw the hood handle to gaze at the wonders inside the hood area. SURPRISE, The gas tank was in the spare tire well,  under the tank was the plastic hood latch release cable.    I don't know were the spare tire or the jack is.  Gas hoses, wires bolts,  nuts are laying in there along with a bunch of other parts,  including a spare dash board (BONUS#1) made out of fiberglass,  and electric fuel pump (BONUS#2) and some heavy rusty metal things that I am not sure came off the car or not.    Inside the front of the tunnel is a 7 foot brand new fuel pipe BONUS#3)   not connected to anything.  I pulled it out.    As i said,   I think I can feel the old fuel line in tunnel or maybe it is a dead animals leg or something.  Maybe  I can get it out with a coat hanger.... I mean, a multi-use extraction device.  I don't have an old throttle cables to clean out the old fuel pipe,  well I do,  but i'm using it.  I plan to thread some line out of my weed wacker to clean out the pipe.   The way I am disabling lawn maintenance equipment,  I'm going to have to hire a lawn service or buy a goat.  SC

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #113 on: May 21, 2005, 01:40:35 PM »
Update on cleaning out gas line
I have spent 4 hours so far and I have cleaned out about 4 feet of hose.     This equals to about a foot from the front and 3 feet from the engine.   So at about 1 foot and hour,   I have maybe 6 hours of pipe cleaning fun left.   I imagine there is 10 to 100 feet of total pipe.  Please skip over the next sentence of whining.   This is not fun, I hate it,  it smells bad, my fingers hurt,  and  my nails have gunk in the cuticles that won't clean out.  I need a hug.  SC

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #114 on: May 21, 2005, 07:26:49 PM »
Aw, Poor baby. Welcome to the world of Volkswagen . Whining is allowed providing you complete the project. Im really enjoying watching someone else go through  De-pain and De- agony that I did years ago. Shame on me.  :lol:  :lol:

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #115 on: May 22, 2005, 12:15:11 PM »
I was sinking into a deep depression,  I had to do something.  Since the fuel pipe cleaning project is way behind schedule, I had to act fast .   Using all my engineering talents and 6 or 7 Budweisers, I lost count ,  an idea popped or pooped into my brain,   Since running a fuel line thru the car is so troublesome,  Shazaam,,,,    Why can't I run a fuel line over my car?  the rain gutter is a perfect crevas for a fuel line.  I am Invincible, un-stop-able, high ho silver...away.  SC

Offline Zen

• Show Chairman
  • Club Member
  • LaFayette, GA

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #116 on: May 22, 2005, 07:18:54 PM »
You do know we have a ban on outdoor burning in Walker County don't you?  I think the ban runs until October . . . you should have the fuel pipe cleaned out by then!   :lol:

Don't give up on the fuel pipe . . . It WILL eventually open up and start letting the go-go jucie pass through.  Other than the bend at the front under where it enters the frame head, it's a pretty much straight shot.  There isn't 100 feet of it coiled up in there!  If you've got 4 feet of it cleared, you are well on your way to being able to get the gas line off the roof (which "might" be a good idea to do before you try to put it on the road)!

Offline 71SuperBee

• Cohutta,ga

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #117 on: May 24, 2005, 08:42:57 AM »
Yea I can call.. I will have to find someone to help me load it.. LOL. Anyway When do you want me to call ya? Today or Wed?

Aaron

Offline Ret.Bugtech

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #118 on: May 24, 2005, 09:25:51 AM »
Wed. of course, when you head this way.

Offline Smelly_Cat

Help with Slow Starter

« Reply #119 on: May 25, 2005, 07:10:54 PM »
I have evidence that proves with out a doubt that The Smelly Cat Super Beetle is a 1970 model.  From the door jam,  using the latest in cripo-
ography,  a team of experts found.    11/70  with a bunch of numbers.  Born on date Nov 1970.  put that in your pipe and smoke it Baby.   S/C

There was an error while liking
Liking...

About Us

Chattanooga's oldest and largest club for air-cooled and water-cooled Volkswagens, since 1998. Join Us

Follow Us

© 1998-2024 Scenic City Volks Folks